GPU for software development...

FlyBy

n00b
I was wondering has anybody build a PC with GPU in it just for software development ?

I am in the processes of building a PC for me and I will be using the PC for my software development only. (no gaming)..

I have decided to get Intel Core i7 4770K and was wondering should I go with Z87 chipset or H87 or B85 chipset?

Basically I can make a game type PC and do some heavy computing .. or get the same processor and don't install GPU..

not sure which chipset to go with... can somebody give me a little push either way ...

Thanks.

what flavor of software development? what chipset features do you require? what other hardware are you working with?

definitely less of a software question, regardless. :)

Well I am very new to hardware so don't know what are chip set features? Can you give me some examples?

NVidia, ATI, and Intel all have some unique SDK's for passing processing jobs to the GPU. The type of jobs that can be done vary, but it's often used for complex math calculations that can be executed independent of each other -- basically a high volume of asynchronous mathematical threading and await management.

If you're simply pondering the idea, then an alternative approach is to do some hardware-agnostic development that parallels your topic. CUDAfy comes to mind, and would allow you to get an intro to some of the concepts without a significant hardware expense on a particular GPU and the underlying providers GPU SDK.

NVidia, ATI, and Intel all have some unique SDK's for passing processing jobs to the GPU. The type of jobs that can be done vary, but it's often used for complex math calculations that can be executed independent of each other -- basically a high volume of asynchronous mathematical threading and await management.

If you're simply pondering the idea, then an alternative approach is to do some hardware-agnostic development that parallels your topic. CUDAfy comes to mind, and would allow you to get an intro to some of the concepts without a significant hardware expense on a particular GPU and the underlying providers GPU SDK.

I will be using the machine for my conventional C++/Java development. I might get my feet wet in open source Linux/Kernel development. I would say all this falls under conventional development and will not need a GPU.

At this point of time I do not have any idea about what applications I plan to develop that would use CUDA and a GPU but going forward, I am planning do some development that uses Machine learning models.

I still have to research if Matlaab or machine learning java apis can post jobs to a GPU via CUDA for some high end parallel processing of data for training the models.

The whole GPU thought is kind of shooting in the dark at this point but I just want to keep my options open from the motherboard perspective. I don't want to buy a GPU right away, I will get it when I will need it the most but then at that time my motherboard should be able to take it.

</confusion>

I will be using the machine for my conventional C++/Java development. I might get my feet wet in open source Linux/Kernel development. I would say all this falls under conventional development and will not need a GPU.
Thanks for this clarification.

You don't need to worry about a dedicated GPU then. Intel's current iGPUs are OpenCL-compatible anyway.

Back