My MSI RMA Experience

After reading this forum for many years for my first post I would like to share my positive RMA experience with MSI.

Preface:
I had purchased an MSI R7870 off of craigslist for $160. Believe me I was weary in this purchase due to having to meet the guy at a less than favorable location and was unable to test the card at time of purchase. Needless to say I bought the card without testing it prior as I figured it was a very good deal and the date code stated the card was manufactured in 09/13. The card was in brand new packaging and condition with no dust at all and I mean there WAS NO DUST like it had never been used no amount cleaning could have been that thorough. Anyways, I brought it to work with me to test it (I work at a computer/small electronics repair shop). I was heartbroken when the card failed to post on 5 working systems (Z87A-GD65 mobo/i5-4670k,Z77 Sabertooth/i7 2600k,GA-57SLI-S4/AMD 5500+ Black Series, Biostar 990FX/FX-6300, etc..)(With 3 different power supplies rated at 650+ watts manufactured by Corsair and Silverstone) so I immediately contacted the seller and he swore up and down the card was good and offered to swap it for a Sapphire HD 7870 he was selling and I told him don't worry about it as I figured that card was probably bad too and at least the MSI card had 2.5 years of warranty left. I immediately opened an RMA request with MSI on their website that Sunday (4/6/14) and it was instantly approved and I was emailed an RMA form with instructions.

RMA Process:
I shipped it via USPS priority flat rate with $190 insurance on Monday morning (4/7/14); to my surprise the card arrived Wednesday morning at the MSI RMA center in Walnut,CA! Pretty d*** fast considering I live near Chicago, IL.

The next day, Thursday 4/7/14, I got an email stating my RMA was received on Wednesday, 4/9/14. After reading all the horror stories I imagined there would be no status updates.... Luckily my case was not terrible in the least so far.

On Monday, 4/14/14, I checked my RMA status on MSI's website and it stated that my RMA was in "Sales/RMA NG buffer for repair run" which after some googling and common sense I figured out that they were most likely trying to repair my card.

Today, 4/16/2014, my RMA status was updated once more with a tracking number stating a replacement was shipped! So now it is time to wait til Monday, the estimated arrival date, to get my new card! I will update this post with results when it comes in; feel free to ask questions or comment. I posted my experience thus far so that people who have to RMA their MSI graphics card/mobo can rest easy after reading RMA horror stories.

My RMA experience with MSI last year was similar. I had posted about an issue with an AMD motherboard on MSI's forum for a rig I was building a friend's son. An MSI rep saw my post and helped me get an RMA for the board. I sent the board in and they sent it back fixed in less than 2 weeks. The best part was that they kept me up to date throughout the process.
Because of that experience, I have 3 of their 290s. Good customer service goes a long way for me.

Thanks for adding your experience, Koble. I feel that positive experiences in general get over looked and I know that many people, myself included, can get worried or anxious after reading the horror stories of MSI RMA experiences, or any company for that matter.

Awesome for me too. Shipping back my card with a rattling fan, got a brand new replacement. No fuss at all.

OK well got home late last night so haven't had much time to play yet. To my surprise they seemed to have sent me a new(?) replacement I am assuming it is new due to the new serial number not ending with "RF" as I have seen in pictures. Anyway I immediately started overclocking seems I got a pretty decent piece of silicon so far at 1250/1200MHz @ stock voltage (up from 1050/1200) perfectly stable running Heaven 4.0.

MSI has been good to me too.

No hassles, easy RMA. I believe it was my 500 series NVidia card that needed repair, very smooth and painless.

Good for you.:D

Back