XFX R9 290 CrossFire At 4K Ultra HD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews has decided to put a XFX R9 290 CrossFire set-up to the test today to see how well these cards handle 4K Ultra HD resolutions. Here's a quote from the full review:

We recently reviewed the XFX Radeon R9 290 Double Dissipation and had the opportunity to get a second card in for additional thermal testing. Since we had two identical cards sitting on the test bench we figured that we’d flash the BIOS in order for the cards to be identical and run some CrossFire tests with AMD’s latest Catalyst 14.4 Beta drivers.

14.4?

I guess they must have released these through somewhere else because all I see is 14.3 beta on AMD's site.

*shrugs* I'm at work all day and all weekend, probably won't get a chance to test till Monday.

Wary these days of new beta drivers -- 14.3 finally "just works" for me. I.e. mantle is smooth, mining is smooth, and no issues. Knowing the less than stellar past of the AMD driver team, I will always tread carefully.

Mantle is completely broken in 14.3 for me, but otherwise the driver is solid. In BF4 I get 1fps and flickering white lines with Mantle enabled @ 4k...

Can't wait to hop on the 4k bandwagon, but there is no way I'm buying a 16:9 screen...

They may be good for movies and games, but for getting work done 16:10 is so !much better. It may seem silly, but the difference feels huge to me.

Zarathustra[H];1040775784 said:
Can't wait to hop on the 4k bandwagon, but there is no way I'm buying a 16:9 screen...

They may be good for movies and games, but for getting work done 16:10 is so !much better. It may seem silly, but the difference feels huge to me.

I'm going to have to absolutely agree. My 16:10 screens are great for productivity. I want to move toward a single large 4k monitor for gaming but I'm going to wait it out a bit.

Zarathustra[H];1040775784 said:

Have you considered having 1x 16:9 landscape for gaming and 1x other in portrait mode for work?

Back