Halo, Destiny Composer Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

HardOCP News

[H] News
As talented as this guy is, I'd imagine 323 Studios (or any other developer for that matter) would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Bungie's composer Marty O'Donnell, who wrote Halo's iconic theme and had been working on the upcoming Destiny, has been fired from Bungie. O'Donnell's involvement with the company predates Microsoft buying the company in 1999. He was one of the few original staff members still with the company.

Another thing is that he was fired without reason, which doesn't make sense. There is almost always a reason why you get fired from a company.

Wow, wonder if there is more to this story.

Halo's music track (all three games) was fantastic.

There was an argument about monk chanting and things soured from there...
j/k.

His soundtrack in the first game was epic! The others were great too, but the original Halo was fantastic.

Soooo, only certain people are allowed to write music or download free MIDI files from the internet? Since when did that law get enacted? :confused:

The fact that you think that that is music composition is astounding. Nevermind the fact that Music theory and composition is one of the most difficult areas of study offered by an University, never mind the fact that music composition is EXTREMELY math heavy.

Your not talking about composition, your talking about playing around with sounds

The fact that you think that that is music composition is astounding. Nevermind the fact that Music theory and composition is one of the most difficult areas of study offered by an University, never mind the fact that music composition is EXTREMELY math heavy.

Your not talking about composition, your talking about playing around with sounds

Anyone who's put the slightest bit of study into the theory of music would know a lot of very famous musicians wrote music by ear without really caring much about spending years learning about it in a university.

Not many people have artistic talent

Enough people do that musicians are pretty much as commonplace as Java programmers. Just go find a new one that appeals to enough peoples' individual tastes who are doing the hiring. Its really no big deal.

Anyone who's put the slightest bit of study into the theory of music would know a lot of very famous musicians wrote music by ear without really caring much about spending years learning about it in a university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_classical_music

Check the first 10 names on that list, each and every single one of them have degrees in music or composition or studied directly under other well known composers. Small sample size but 100% correlation. You have absolutely no clue what music composition truly entails.

They should hire the guy that did the music for Goat Simulator. That guy is a musical genius.

Check the first 10 names on that list, each and every single one of them have degrees in music or composition or studied directly under other well known composers. Small sample size but 100% correlation. You have absolutely no clue what music composition truly entails.

In fact, the most notable composer in movies of this generation, John Williams studied at Julliard. The fact that your completely under minding the amount of talent that composers need to have to be even remotely successful is distasteful to say the least.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by making light of the work of really talented and successful people?

I was disappointed to hear this. His Halo scores were amazing, Reach being my favorite. His music has a way of perfectly complimenting the emotional tone of what is on the screen, something only the best composers are able to do.

From the epic strains of Halo:CE's theme to the understated (and underrated) noir feel of ODST, his music always elevated my experience and never felt forced.

Halo 4's music, on the other hand, was the opposite. While there was nothing wrong with it, per se, the Halo 4 score felt more like it was trying to force me into feeling something, rather than pairing naturally with what I was already experiencing in the game.

For me, that is what makes O'Donnell's work so impressive and lasting.

Another thing is that he was fired without reason, which doesn't make sense. There is almost always a reason why you get fired from a company.

Unofficial replacement, same thing happened to me a while back, except I found out about the guy replacing me, almost laughed when I saw my bosses face turn pale and express he shat a brick of fear, when I was talking to the guy at the other office.

your right, because everyone is capable of being a Beethoven or Jean Sibelius with no education amiright? :rolleyes:

just ignore him. If you look at everyone of his post then you'll see that he purposely tries to antagonize people to get arguments started. Hes just a useless troll on here.

Unofficial replacement, same thing happened to me a while back, except I found out about the guy replacing me, almost laughed when I saw my bosses face turn pale and express he shat a brick of fear, when I was talking to the guy at the other office.

It just boggles my mind why they'd drop a talented musical composer and replace him with someone else. It's like replacing your star player in your team in the middle of a sports season. There's got to be more to this story though.

I'm sorry to hear it happened to you, however, being replaced like that.

It just boggles my mind why they'd drop a talented musical composer and replace him with someone else

If destiny isnt Single Player focused and more Multiplayer focused I can see why they would let the guy go because music in multiplayer games really doesnt need to be all that good imo.

He should just move on to scoring movies,he has the talent and the pay is probably way better.

There are a number of extremely talented musicians in the games industry. Marty O'Donnell being one on the short list that had exemplary works. Others being Michael Giacchino, Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, and Kelly Bailey that I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully, given his talent, he gets picked up quickly by a studio for more amazing music.

The original Halo theme is a contender for the most iconic game music ever. It's just a fantastic piece of music.

I wonder if it wasn't something political. I recall paying his forum a visit many, many years back, and the guy would vehemently arguing politics with his fanbase. Great composer, but I can imagine being that outspoken about those types of subjects would eventually ruffle the feathers of a decision maker. /speculation

Film and video game soundtracks are the ultimate music genres. It's true. They can incorporate any other musical style and aren't affected by commercial and marketing scum.

just ignore him. If you look at everyone of his post then you'll see that he purposely tries to antagonize people to get arguments started. Hes just a useless troll on here.

For someone who says ignoring me is the bestest thing evar, you seem to pay pretty close attention. <3 :D

I'm not disagreeing with your general theory, but one notable exception would be the Greek composer Vangelis (best know in America for Chariots of Fire soundtrack) had little formal education and was just damn good by nature :D :cool:

Vangelis was born 29 March 1943, in Agria, near Volos, Greece. Largely a self-taught musician, he reportedly began composing at the age of four. He refused to take traditional piano lessons, and throughout his career did not have substantial knowledge of reading or writing musical notation.

But even guys like Michael Cretu from Engima fame had formal music education....and he went on to be very successful (outside of America).

There is also a little known composer named Nobuo Uematsu who created some pretty good stuff without any training.

It amazes me that you guys continue to let yourselves be trolled by CreepyUncleGoogle.

It amazes me that you guys continue to let yourselves be trolled by CreepyUncleGoogle.

This.

I blocked his ridiculous comments months ago. To my knowledge only him and bad traders have ever made my ignore list.

Back