Mantle Takes To The Stars With Civilization: Beyond Earth

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD announced a new technology partnership with 2K Games that will enable support for the Mantle graphics API in Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™, to accelerate performance and improve image quality for customers of AMD Radeon™ graphics . Mantle is a “low-overhead” graphics API that can help improve performance for gamers by: making better use of multi-core CPUs, streamlining game code execution, virtually eliminating software bottlenecks and utilizing GPU resources with incredible efficiency.

Holy crapballs, I didn't even know about the Beyond Earth expansion for Civ5! WOOT! Sucks I'm at the office so I can't touch myself.

Mantle is going to be awesome for this game as it will speed up online games by taking the load off the CPU. Always hated waiting for the other guy's PC to finish a turn. Quite sure that Nvidia's DX11 solution will help also.

It'll help lower end AMD hardware and thats about it. Its already been debunked in high end AMD vs high end NVIDIA tests where NV wins.

Holy crapballs, I didn't even know about the Beyond Earth expansion for Civ5! WOOT! Sucks I'm at the office so I can't touch myself.

It's a standalone, not an expansion. Trailer says Fall 2014... Amazon has a pre-order date of Dec 31st. If I have learned ANYTHING from pre-ordering buggy games I need to give this one a year to patch up before I spend money on it. I know I won't, but I should. Hell they have been patching Civ V for years now and it still has issues. When it launched it was barely playable. This is the same dev team.... so be afraid.

It'll help lower end AMD hardware and thats about it. Its already been debunked in high end AMD vs high end NVIDIA tests where NV wins.

If it helps AMD APU laptops even a little bit I'll take it. My A8-3500 laptop can barely play Civ V (and forget about DX11 mode, it's a slideshow).

It's a standalone, not an expansion. Trailer says Fall 2014... Amazon has a pre-order date of Dec 31st. If I have learned ANYTHING from pre-ordering buggy games I need to give this one a year to patch up before I spend money on it. I know I won't, but I should. Hell they have been patching Civ V for years now and it still has issues. When it launched it was barely playable. This is the same dev team.... so be afraid.

Well they already got all the bugs out, so should be good to go? Am I right!? :D

Seriously, yeah don't look at this as a Firaxis production, look at this as Firaxis making a game that has parent company 2K Games fronting the bills, which means it'll ship when 2K Games tells them to ship, not when it's necessarily done.

Gotta love these blanket statement.
5% high end minority see 10% boost and mantle means nothing.
When dx12 comes out and you see the same thing with a 12 core cpu,tested in 4k resolution, you better be here saying the same thing :eek:

It's a standalone, not an expansion.
Either way, nice to see the performance enhancements, although it would have been sweet for it to be a smooth transition from this game into future tech. After all, how cool would it be played on "epic" speed to take your civilization all the way from spear chuckers to the Renaissance to beyond earth colonization.

Either way, nice to see the performance enhancements, although it would have been sweet for it to be a smooth transition from this game into future tech. After all, how cool would it be played on "epic" speed to take your civilization all the way from spear chuckers to the Renaissance to beyond earth colonization.

you could play spore if you want to go from spears to space >:)

Gotta get that phat video performance boost for turn-based strat games.
When you're rapidly scrolling and zooming on a map with craptons of animated soldiers and workers and bombers with explosions and burning buildings drawing moving oceans and the like at high resolution, yeah actually, you kinda do... well whatever the space version is of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MnZIsR2eMY

yup, the launch performance is probably why I havent gone back to Civ V since then. terribly disappointing but a valuable lesson.

Have high hopes it'll be as good as Alpha Centauri, that game was on a league of it's own.
maZeb.jpg

Have high hopes it'll be as good as Alpha Centauri, that game was on a league of it's own.
maZeb.jpg

Ironically with your excerpt of choice, I think the problem emerging is the free flow of private information.

Back