Amazon Preparing to Release Smartphone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The long talked about rumor mill media darling, the Amazon smartphone, which has never been recognized even to deny its existence by Amazon, looks like it will released sometime in the second half of this year.

Amazon has told one of its suppliers it is anticipating mass production of the device later this month, with an initial order of 600,000 units, according to a person briefed on the plans.

WSJ said:
The people said Amazon hopes to distinguish its phone in a crowded market with a screen capable of displaying seemingly three-dimensional images without special glasses, these people said. They said the phone would employ retina-tracking technology embedded in four front-facing cameras, or sensors, to make some images appear to be 3-D, similar to a hologram, the people said.

Apparently Amazon wasn't watching as the HTC EVO 3D flopped.

yeah i think part of that rumor is just that, rumor. 3d hologram? really? i have serious doubts about that.

It's going to be tough for them to get Android users to switch to a Kindle phone. The Amazon app store is lacking compared to the Google Play store and people probably won't want to purchase all their apps again.

So....I get spied on by both Google and Amazon? AWESOME!

What's the worst that could happen?

I won't be buying one. More than likely, anyway. Probably.

So....I get spied on by both Google and Amazon? AWESOME!

What's the worst that could happen?

I won't be buying one. More than likely, anyway. Probably.
they start sending boxes of stuff to your house that you want?

Hardware quality should be good based on recent Kindle models but I'm not a big fan of being locked out of Google Play and tied into Amazon ecosystem. Tried buying apps on Amazon and it always seem to be behind in versions compared to Google Play.

Hardware quality should be good based on recent Kindle models but I'm not a big fan of being locked out of Google Play and tied into Amazon ecosystem. Tried buying apps on Amazon and it always seem to be behind in versions compared to Google Play.

From what I've read, every app update needs to be submitted by the developer and then it goes through testing for any malware. It may very well be developers forgetting to submit or just not giving a crap, since testing and malware scans are automated by software.

In any case, it is certainly annoying to be constantly stuck behind Google Play in terms of app updates and the absence of some of the popular apps.

you know how much crap is going to come installed at this thing? TONS and i bet it feed you ads and track everything you do.

I'm going to LOL when it blows past Windows Phone market share within 6 months.

I wouldn't buy one - I prefer the straight Nexus experience myself - but to underestimate Amazon would be foolish, for starters it'll have the 5 or 10 most popular apps that everyone wants and that really only Android and iOS have.

Pretty smart, they have been taking the Apple approach to mobile market, just making it much cheaper and not nearly as polished.

This would choose the loop essentially in what Amazon wanted to accomplish.

3D? Really, now, that's a fad that doesn't completely die, but no one really stays excited over. It's a gimmick that doesn't have staying power.

I have looked and looked at amazon devices... maybe to read books, but it doesn't make too much sense to buy a nice powerful tablet like Fire, for it to be a closed platform and what seems to be a small one also.

3D part of this seems like a rumor. Probably can push 3D video over its mini HDMI or something.

Hello, shoppers. It's me, Am!

Call me old-fashioned, but when I have more money than I have use for, well, that's when I reach for my spyphone and go for another can of Am's Old Fashioned pointless purchase.

And remember: Am's products are made with 10% more love than the next leading brand!

3D part of this seems like a rumor. Probably can push 3D video over its mini HDMI or something.

OR it is just like apples parallax effect, but they get around any patents by using cameras to determine the tilt rather than the accelerometers/gyros. Might be gussied up some with some tie in to 3d media that allows it to pull off some sort of shadow bow effect.

Whatever it is, safe money is on it being horribly underwhelming.

Kindle Fire = Scaled back version of Android, no Google play store, $200-$400 for these so-called tablets is nuts.

Fire TV = Same crap as Roku, Apple TV, etc. For $30, Chromcast is so much better, I can play any video on my pc via Chrome browser and not limited to paid app. The other guys don't do this.

Fire Cell Phone = judging by the above, will be crap

Asus Transformer Book or Samsung's Chomebook 2 are much better choices.

Wrong. 6 cameras, 5 front-facing, 4 of the front-facing are infrared cameras to facilitate the 3D feature.

Tk7Y90z.jpg

Wrong. 6 cameras, 5 front-facing, 4 of the front-facing are infrared cameras to facilitate the 3D feature.

Tk7Y90z.jpg

Or 6 cameras for retina tracking so you don't need to use your fingers to point and 'tap'

Back