Chrome Browser Plugin Warns of Heartbleed Infected Sites

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With all of the talk and worry over the Heartbleed vulnerability, many are looking for ways to protect themselves and their information from exposure. Now knowing which sites you visit are infected is as easy as installing a simple Chrome plugin.

Developer Jamie Hoyle has created a nice Chrome extension dubbed Chromebleed that serves a single purpose: It displays a warning when you visit a website affected by Heartbleed.

"Infected" is used twice. It is not the appropriate word.

"Vulnerable" or "potentially affected" would be better.

This ain't a virus/malware.

Why does this plugin need to have access to all our data and access to the sites we've visited?

How do we know this isn't as bad as the vulnerability?

I wouldn't recommend installing this. The procedure it uses to check for HeartBleed is technically illegal by US law. You really don't want to be doing that automatically on sites you visit.

Why does this plugin need to have access to all our data and access to the sites we've visited?

How do we know this isn't as bad as the vulnerability?

Google has access to all your data and the sites you visited. It's not like this is any worse than using Chrome to begin with. :D Just go for it and everything will be okay.

So my ISP (Sonic.NET) just sent out an email to all warning them about people changing their passwords not just on their site but every site they use. Saying this is an undetectable hack. My question though, is has it been fixed yet? In which case wouldn't changing a password be silly

Google has access to all your data and the sites you visited. It's not like this is any worse than using Chrome to begin with. :D Just go for it and everything will be okay.

True, but Google is a known. I don't know what this developer is going to do with the information. Never mind the legalities involved by using it in the US.

Back