EIZO announces 24" and 31" 4K displays

x3sphere

2[H]4U
Haven't seen this posted. EIZO announced some 4K displays in 24" and 31" configurations, no word on price/availability yet. The 31" variant is 4096x2160, not 3840 x 2160 like the other 31.5" 4K displays currently available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/eizo-brings-light-new-small-color-edge-4k-monitors

Squeezing 4K resolution into a 24" monitor may seem like a simple process, but being able to retain 4K resolution with pixels packed so tightly together, it becomes difficult to see all the detail in the image, and as such may not be such a simple process. At this year's NAB, Eizo showed two prototype 10-bit 4K resolution Color Edge Color Calibration monitors that push the viewing resolution of smaller panels to the to the limit. These Color Calibration monitors share features with Eizo's other Color Edge Monitors, which prevent brightness and color drift, ensuring consistent display performance throughout the day. The 24" monitor offers 3840 x 2160 UHD resolution, an actual 1,000:1 contrast ratio, and it displays 99% of Adobe RGB, 93% of DCI, and 100% of the REC 709 color space. The slightly larger 31" monitor displays 4K resolution of 4096 x 2160, which even in this larger-sized panel, strains the eyesight of the sharpest observer, discerning all the highly articulated detail in the image. It offers Both Display Port and HDMI inputs, a 1500:1 true contrast ratio, and displays 99% Adobe RGB, and 98% of the DCI gamut, making these two powerful tools for working with color accurate imaging tools.

what was that monitor made in japan for $19K? Is that Eizo? It was a few yr. ago, posted here in this forum

That's it, that's the 1. But what is this 350W, how hot is this thing? And why is this thing having 2 x DVI and 2 x DP? Are they saying they need 2 port at the same time to run 1 monitor? Because if you look at the spec., it's a 2 monitor merge into 1. 2048 x 2160, 1920 x 2160

All these for $19K? Are these japanese greedy? Or really greedy?

That's it, that's the 1. But what is this 350W, how hot is this thing? And why is this thing having 2 x DVI and 2 x DP? Are they saying they need 2 port at the same time to run 1 monitor? Because if you look at the spec., it's a 2 monitor merge into 1. 2048 x 2160, 1920 x 2160

The price will come down when Dell bring their heads out of their asses and stop focusing on this TN 30hz bs and make a professional high contrast 4k x 2k 10 bit panel.

I don't see any patents in the way so hopefully we won't have a Wacom situation.

That is not what just has been announced.

I know that. I'm just saying Enzo isn't the kind of monitor that most of us can afford based on their past pricing. I check back the price of that old Enzo 36". You can buy a house w/ down payment for that price, i.e., $36K

I know that. I'm just saying Enzo isn't the kind of monitor that most of us can afford based on their past pricing. I check back the price of that old Enzo 36". You can buy a house w/ down payment for that price, i.e., $36K

Those aren't consumer monitors. You must be aware(or maybe you aren't...) that there is a whole different market of electronics for government, corporate, medical, and other professional uses that have much higher standards and are much less price sensitive than joe six pack. That's what these monitors that cost thousands or tens of thousands of dollars are for. It's got nothing to do with "greed", it's just a different market.

That 36" is targeted towards very specific markets - surveillance, air traffic control, etc.

These new 4K monitors are part of their ColorEdge lineup so the pricing will be much more reasonable.

Eizo also caters to the consumer market as well... look at their gaming monitors for ~$500-600. My point is, they have a very wide product range so you can't really compare past pricing.

Last edited:
Well if they are color edge and 27" WQHD from that line costs around 1600 euro then i wonder how "affordable" that 4k 31" will be ;)

Look like it will come with HDMI 2.0, Let's hope it will come in fall and less than $6k.

We have no info on this brand name. W/ idiot samsung, at least you can get a refund if they keep failing. w/ this brand, if they #$^$@ up, who do you talk to? There is no reference, no past record, no track record, practically no1 ever use or heard of this brand name.

We have no info on this brand name. W/ idiot samsung, at least you can get a refund if they keep failing. w/ this brand, if they #$^$@ up, who do you talk to? There is no reference, no past record, no track record, practically no1 ever use or heard of this brand name.

Dude, Eizo is publicly traded company.

They also usually make the best non-TN monitors.

Last edited:
... I'm confused is this sarcasm or does someone actually think Eizo is unknown and hasn't been contending for the no.1 spot in monitor quality for over four decades.. ?

Last edited:
The price will come down when Dell bring their heads out of their asses and stop focusing on this TN 30hz bs and make a professional high contrast 4k x 2k 10 bit panel.

I don't see any patents in the way so hopefully we won't have a Wacom situation.

Dell doesn't make panels, but you are correct in noticing that there are several companies capable of producing 4K LCD modules.

And off topic it's great to see some movement in the tablet-monitor space, especially the latest Kingtee offerings give a glimpse of hope that there will be some pressure on wacom to produce decent products .. (the 24HD anti reflection coating is a bad joke..).
I'm still hoping for a no-name brand to build a 4K cintiq alternative before wacom manages to get a such a product to market.
(which wouldn't really be surprising considering wacoms product life-cycles)

That's some clever talk for an illiterate racist.

... I'm confused is this sarcasm or does someone actually think Eizo is unknown and hasn't been contending for the no.1 spot in monitor quality for over four decades.. ?

Really? Scroll to the far right, you see those orange dots?

http://www.testfreaks.com/monitors/

that brand is not even in the top 50,
the top rating all goes to viewsonic, Asus, NEC, dell etc.

For best monitor in quality, I would go w/ viewsonic. Never seen 1 fail under their 3 yr. warranty, service center across all major cities in North America, and even LCD 10+ yr. old, I still see a lot of those 20" LCD run smoothly.

Last edited:
http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/6737:JP/chart

so I finally dig them out. they are 1 of those asia co., and their stock hasn't move in 5 years

But how many people you know heard of them in North america? And if something goes wrong, do they have service center in every major city? With serious doubt

Toll?

Back when we had these heavy things called CRTs Eizo and Sony were the main contenders in the high end and quality department. Now, believe it or not it's NEC and Eizo.
So unless a monitor enthusiasts vision is limited to budget gaming TNs and it was never even considered to think about buying a quality monitor to do something strange like work, Eizo must have come to attention at some point...

Last edited:
Really? Scroll to the far right, you see those orange dots?

http://www.testfreaks.com/monitors/

that brand is not even in the top 50,
the top rating all goes to viewsonic, Asus, NEC, dell etc.

For best monitor in quality, I would go w/ viewsonic. Never seen 1 fail under their 3 yr. warranty, service center across all major cities in North America, and even LCD 10+ yr. old, I still see a lot of those 20" LCD run smoothly.

Err... I wouldn't call that site an authority on anything, looks like it just grabs reviews from random sites and tries to calculate some arbitrary score.

I looked at the list anyway and there's an Eizo model in it, one of the highest rated of the bunch too. I have no idea how you can be into high-end monitors and have never heard of them.

Toll?

Back when we had these heavy things called CRTs Eizo and Sony were the main contenders in the high end and quality department. Now, believe it or not it's NEC and Eizo.
So unless a monitor enthusiasts vision is limited to budget gaming TNs and it was never even considered to think about buying a quality monitor to do something strange like work, Eizo must have come to attention at some point...

I know sony. Their quality is just bad news back to back. I bought the 20 SE in 1999, made in Japan. The monitor c/w 3 yr. warranty, it totally fails on the 4th yr. I paid $800 for repair (it's master card extended warranty, so they paid for it) after the repair, it last another 2 yr., and totally failed again after.

So if they are "in par" w/ sony, I'll pass.

Err... I wouldn't call that site an authority on anything, looks like it just grabs reviews from random sites and tries to calculate some arbitrary score.

I looked at the list anyway and there's an Eizo model in it, one of the highest rated of the bunch too. I have no idea how you can be into high-end monitors and have never heard of them.

Yeah, I saw that 1 model w/ the orange dots. But just 1 model. By comparison, brand name like viewsonic has many more models w/ 9/10 rating.

I heard of that w/ that $35K monitor, that's the only time I heard of them. And I thought that price was reckless w/ their whoppy 2 yr. warranty. You do know for $ a lot less, NEC offers FIVE yr. warranty on their professional line monitor, right?

If they are so confident on their product, why don't they match their japanese (NEC) counter part on warranty?

Are you joking or are you new to monitors?

Dell doesn't make panels, but you are correct in noticing that there are several companies capable of producing 4K LCD modules.

And off topic it's great to see some movement in the tablet-monitor space, especially the latest Kingtee offerings give a glimpse of hope that there will be some pressure on wacom to produce decent products .. (the 24HD anti reflection coating is a bad joke..).
I'm still hoping for a no-name brand to build a 4K cintiq alternative before wacom manages to get a such a product to market.
(which wouldn't really be surprising considering wacoms product life-cycles)

Didn't mean to imply that they did. Dell just end up being cheaper than brands like Eizo and NEC when they implement the same panels.
Not saying Eizo monitors aren't worth it.

As for Kingtee I ended up skipping on them as they seem to have(at least in the past) crapper customer service than Wacom. Not that Wacom's support and products are bullet proof. I hope Bosto and others keep the pressure on.

Also, yeah, the Cintiq's screen is a POS.
Still my favourite part of my PC though.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/6737:JP/chart

so I finally dig them out. they are 1 of those asia co., and their stock hasn't move in 5 years

But how many people you know heard of them in North america? And if something goes wrong, do they have service center in every major city? With serious doubt

5 years ago it was 1500 jpy now it is 2611 jpy that is 75% increased.

And btw TSE (Tokyo stock exchange) is second largest exchange in the world after NYSE.

If you never heard of them then i think you are very new to monitors. Just try to lurk moar.

http://www.avmagazine.it/news/avprofessional/nab-prototipi-eizo-4k-da-24-e-31_9180.html

only a co. that has no reality check would price their 31" LCD at $8K, that's about 4X higher than Dell's price. Here's the translation:

The two monitors are expected to arrive in the second half of the year. The price has not been announced yet, but for the model to 31.1 "should be less than U.S. $ 8,000, excluding taxes. For more information on EIZO products

how much better do you think their LCD is, to justify a whoppy $6K higher? Dell is already at 3 yr. warranty

If it's a professional-targeted 4K Eizo monitor(as it would seem to be, at that price) it will likely have far better backlight and color uniformity than any of the existing options, which matters a lot in some markets. But you don't really seem to understand the concept of graphics professional monitors.

The way I read that is the $8k price is just speculation on the author's part. Either way I don't expect these displays to be cheap, around $4-5k is my guess for the 31" but certainly I wouldn't be surprised if it comes above that either. Eizo knows its target market and will price it accordingly, it's that simple.

If it's a professional-targeted 4K Eizo monitor(as it would seem to be, at that price) it will likely have far better backlight and color uniformity than any of the existing options, which matters a lot in some markets. But you don't really seem to understand the concept of graphics professional monitors.

I have seen those professional monitor of NEC priced at $5K w/ 5 yr. warranty for x-ray, medical imaging etc. But even if we compares the old Eizo (not this one) at $30K vs. to the older series of NEC, NEC is 5 yr. warranty monitor, whereas the tradition of Eizo is 2 yr. warranty. So no matter how you look at it, the price is too high.

The way I read that is the $8k price is just speculation on the author's part. Either way I don't expect these displays to be cheap, around $4-5k is my guess for the 31" but certainly I wouldn't be surprised if it comes above that either. Eizo knows its target market and will price it accordingly, it's that simple.

No, that italian author didn't just randomly guess at $8K. He said it should be less than $8K, so clearly some eizo guy at the trade show that he interivew tell him that.

Their old series is $35K, so $8K sounds about right. What I'm saying is, for those who was waiting for this to be in par w/ the pricing of Dell, Asus etc., those people can move on

I was going to post something, but this ^ is just my thought exactly.

I was going to post something, but this ^ is just my thought exactly.

Obviously someone who is not at all familiar with the professional monitor market and only aware of consumer brands considering eizo is considered top of the line and are very well known in the professional display market.

The FDH3601 is a very nice monitor, but the implementation isn't the greatest. The monitor isn't DisplayPort 1.2 and therefore requires two connectors to drive the display. The entire display is treated as two conjoined screens, which is far less an elegant implementation than one would expect for that price. I was reading that gaming is a hit or miss proposition and SLi wasn't working properly.

Hopefully, they've updated these new monitors to DisplayPort 1.2. Even if they have, multiple monitors would still look less than ideal, given the absolutely massive bezel on these.

ATI might be better in driving such displays. Nvidia marketeers had chosen to enable 2*n input surround only for quadro gpu drivers. While some UHD monitors work via DP 1.2 MST in latest drivers implemented in hackish way for whitelisted EDIDs, but i'm not so sure if Nvidia will also enable that for monitors with actual two physical connectors. People had cried for 2*n surround for years and were ignored. Slight chance for that to change now imho.

Back