AMD Introduces New Socketed Athlon APU Products

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced global availability of its new AM1 platform featuring quad-core and dual-core variants of the AMD APU codenamed “Kabini” into the component channel for system builders. The AM1 platform, branded with the AMD Athlon™ and AMD Sempron™ APU brands will deliver award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture and “Jaguar” CPU cores on motherboards from the leading manufacturers. AMD Athlon™ 5150/5350 and AMD Sempron ™ 2650/3850 APUs provide consumers a balanced computing experience on a socketed upgradable platform.

Upgradable until they change the socket. I've pretty much given up on that stuff over the last few years.

But new stuff is always nice :)

The lower power requirements are pretty interesting. I like AMD's APU focus and one of the biggest reasons I wasn't a huge fan of them was because of the desktop power requirements. It's still sort of weak in the IGP side though with only 128 stream processors. I wonder how they compete with Intel's IGP.

I'd go for a higher clocked Intel dual core every time.
* Celeron G1820 cpu + Asrock 1150 matx = $96
* Athlon 5150 cpu + Asrock AM1 itx motherboard = $95

If cost is paramount you can pick up a refurbished 3ghz Core 2 duo computer from Amazon for just over $100 with a Windows license. You can afford a brand new R7 250x video card with the money it would cost just to put the rest of the bare essentials around either of the above new parts.

Just read Anandtech's review finally. I'm still pretty interested. It looks like the APU is someplace between a HD 3000 and HD 4000 in performance. There's a lot less CPU power though.

If cost is paramount you can pick up a refurbished 3ghz Core 2 duo computer from Amazon for just over $100 with a Windows license. You can afford a brand new R7 250x video card with the money it would cost just to put the rest of the bare essentials around either of the above new parts.

I do not think these parts are really aimed at the professional or enthusiast level crowd. Those parts would be perfect for a web browser, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint computer that is used for casual stuff. My mom's old Pentium 4(single core with HT) is getting a little dated, so naturally this type of stuff perks my interest since she is getting ready for a upgrade.

I would never touch refurbished... how ever how does the Celeron do video-wise?
question is I guess overall perfomance and overall cost.

Upgradable until they change the socket. I've pretty much given up on that stuff over the last few years.

But new stuff is always nice :)

AMD has always been better in that regard. How many CPUs have used the AM2/3/+ sockets?

I still remember upgrading my Athlon 64 to a Phenom X3 on my AM2 board back then.

Back