Can my PSU handle a 780 gtx?

bobstone

Limp Gawd
I got a SeaSonic SS-750KM3, its a few years old but still does not fluctuate at all on power, this should handle a 780 gtx fine right?

I also have a 2nd gen i5, an Intel server NIC, one SSD installed, and maybe like 4-5 Fans.

Thanks for any info!

fyi right now it is running a 6950.

You will be absolutely fine... With that PSU you will be able to handle even a 780 SLI setup..

I got a SeaSonic SS-750KM3, its a few years old but still does not fluctuate at all on power, this should handle a 780 gtx fine right?

I also have a 2nd gen i5, an Intel server NIC, one SSD installed, and maybe like 4-5 Fans.

Thanks for any info!

fyi right now it is running a 6950.

Yes you should be fine.

Thanks, I figured I was good but wanted to confirm, I have not done PSU load math in a few years (since that originally bought that PSU)

Speaking of that, what are good rules for PSU load? I am going to be configuring a few low end media PC shortly and just wanted to know the best way to calc the load, Do I just add up the max of CPU and GPU and add a small amount for peripherals?

So if I got this right...

780 gtx review here says 351W @ load
2500k review here says = 153W @ load
504W + 100W for basic mb/fans/peripherals

So a good rough guess would be 605W total power at max?

That seem like a good rough estimate?

If that is the case it seems like maybe I would want to get a new PSU if in the future I go SLI? (probably does not matter since I am not a fan of SLI and usually go for single performance GPU's)

So if I got this right...

780 gtx review here says 351W @ load
2500k review here says = 153W @ load
504W + 100W for basic mb/fans/peripherals

So a good rough guess would be 605W total power at max?

That seem like a good rough estimate?

If that is the case it seems like maybe I would want to get a new PSU if in the future I go SLI? (probably does not matter since I am not a fan of SLI and usually go for single performance GPU's)
That's the total system power draw, not the card itself.

You will be absolutely fine... With that PSU you will be able to handle even a 780 SLI setup..

Certainly for 1 yes, not an issue at all. But I'm curious if 2 would be comfortable on 760w... 99% of the time it would be more than enough, but Furmark with SLI 780s draws about 865W on my system--my UPS doesn't like it because that's the total power it can handle.

That's the total system power draw, not the card itself.

As in the review shows total system power when they give those wattage numbers? So TBH my PC with that card will more likely be around 350-400W range because my CPU is one generation older but also a lower rated one then the one they used in the video card review?

Certainly for 1 yes, not an issue at all. But I'm curious if 2 would be comfortable on 760w... 99% of the time it would be more than enough, but Furmark with SLI 780s draws about 865W on my system--my UPS doesn't like it because that's the total power it can handle.

yes but rarely or never only while bench you will see both GPUs at 99% consuming every bit of power of the card.. in the [H] Review of 780SLI those cards aren't even pulling more than 600W (590 to be exact) at the wall.. and 600W for the whole system its leaving still 150W of headroom for other devices and/or peripherals.. i think its OK..

As in the review shows total system power when they give those wattage numbers? So TBH my PC with that card will more likely be around 350-400W range because my CPU is one generation older but also a lower rated one then the one they used in the video card review?

correct.. that [H] review are using the 3770K at 4.8 which its probably higher than your OC with HT which also draw more power.. so probably in the same conditions you will be probable in the same 350W for the whole system + extra other peripherals you want.. you have great headroom there..

The rest of your components minus CPU and GPU will probably not draw any where close to 100w. With my single 780 setup, I barely broke 400w. It is very hard to get anything to max both CPU and GPU 100%. That Seasonic is more than capable.

Yes you should be perfectly fine as the others have stated. My EVGA 780 +75 core and +202 memory my full system draw with furmark is around 450 watts on HX 850 corsair.

Back