Xbox Boss: Microsoft Won't Sell Us Off

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's new head of Xbox seems pretty confident that the company won't sell off the Xbox division.

Speaking to Edge Magazine in an interview excerpt published on Tuesday, Spencer said not only that the Xbox division will remain a part of Microsoft, but that it will be an important component in the tech giant's future strategy.

Somehow, I don't think its up to him whether Microsoft sells them off or not.

I feel like this is such a 'DUH' statement to make? I mean why would they sell off that division when it's making them bank loads of $.

I feel like this is such a 'DUH' statement to make? I mean why would they sell off that division when it's making them bank loads of $.

Xbox doesn't have anywhere near the margins that Microsoft's enterprise business brings them, but it does make some money and it's their biggest consumer brand. And the platform is key to their big screen business strategy. And they've put a lot of work in creating a unified platform for delivering apps and content across phones, tablets, PCs and the Xbox. It's not going anywhere.

I certainly hope they don't sell them off. It would break up all of the hard work they've done making everything integrate with each other - PC, consoles, tablets and phones.

Two months from now:

XBox Boss: F**K! They're selling us off!

I certainly hope they don't sell them off. It would break up all of the hard work they've done making everything integrate with each other - PC, consoles, tablets and phones.

It's also one of Bill gate's biggest hobby, I doubt he will let any sale go through.

Microsoft needs Xbox. With Google and all the other "modern" tech companies offering an onslaught of free products in exchange for collecting your data, MS will quickly find themselves with dead cash cows in Office and Windows. Xbox will offer them another angle into people's lives that Google doesn't have and thus create value for them.

I'm just waiting for a Office download for the Xbone. Then I'll convince my boss I need one for work......yeah

Or at least that's what we have to tell customers to get best price for division :)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Redmond, WA - April 9, 2014

Microsoft today announced that it is immediately selling its home entertainment Xbox division to Apple for an undisclosed sum. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer commented on the news by sweating and yelling "DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!"

The ghost of Steve Jobs was contacted via seance, and said "This purchase is just a logical extension of Apple's values of customer friendly designs. A game console with zero buttons, just an all-seeing camera? Magical."

Sony could not be reached for comment. Nintendo pleaded with reporters to "please cover us!"

I know, right....

In other news, some random Apple Employee doesn't think Apple will sell off it's iPhone.

Because its not actually making them bank loads of $

You might want to read up on the ACTUAL financials.

You mean the almost permanently in the red division that has only broken through a handful of times? Xbox is marketing for them at this point. It's almost always at a loss, but it's profitable to get their name out there.

Now that Microsoft has finally joined the rest of the world in appointing a non-founding CEO, it seems likely they're going to start hiring and firing CEOs constantly like most other large public companies, while the CEOs constantly spin off essential business divisions to generate temporary stock price increases (since investors are mostly idiots and usually think it's a good thing - look at IBM, which can't seem to stop selling off stuff it needs to stay relevant).

All it takes is the next CEO after Nadella to do this sort of stuff. Generate a stock price increase that lasts 5 seconds, get his/her stupidly large and 100% undeserved bonus, and leave in search of the next company he/she can f*** over.

why would microsoft even consider selling xbox?

it's their only shot at content integration between itself and windows. and unlike it's competitors, xbox offers unique abilities wrt console gaming and other immersive forms of entertainment. something apple and sony cannot provide.

xbox could really be windows' only selling point in 10 years.

Now that Microsoft has finally joined the rest of the world in appointing a non-founding CEO, it seems likely they're going to start hiring and firing CEOs constantly like most other large public companies, while the CEOs constantly spin off essential business divisions to generate temporary stock price increases (since investors are mostly idiots and usually think it's a good thing - look at IBM, which can't seem to stop selling off stuff it needs to stay relevant).

All it takes is the next CEO after Nadella to do this sort of stuff. Generate a stock price increase that lasts 5 seconds, get his/her stupidly large and 100% undeserved bonus, and leave in search of the next company he/she can f*** over.

Ballmer isn't a Microsoft founder. He's the second person ever to become a billionaire through stock ownership in a company who was not a founder or related to a founder.

As for Microsoft churning through CEOs and selling off assets to boost stock prices, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Microsoft's stock price has surged like 40% in the past 18 months and is at 15 year highs. Their strategy of a core services and capabilities across multiple devices, even non-Microsoft devices, is beginning to materialize with the Xbox as a big part of it and they just spent $7 billion on Nokia's handset business. With AAA credit, something like $80 billion in cash and equivalents and a nice steady stream of profits in which they have only posted one paper loss in a quarter during 28 years as a public company, they just aren't anywhere near a stressful financial situation and have plenty of resources and constant profits to build on.

Elop said they should consider selling off Xbox. I think most financial analysts would agree with selling it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Redmond, WA - April 9, 2014

Microsoft today announced that it is immediately selling its home entertainment Xbox division to Facebook[/B[ for $30 billion in a mostly stock swap transaction. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer commented on the news by sweating and yelling "DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!"

Mark Zuckerberg announced at an impromptu press conference "A new day in social media is dawning. Today with Facebook's historic purchase of the Xbox franchise and the recent acquisition of Oculus VR, revolutionary steps are being taken to bring an enhanced experience to your daily social life that has never before been experienced".

Sony could not be reached for comment. Nintendo pleaded with reporters to "please cover us!"

FTFY..

Back