App Culture Erodes Ability To Make Serious Software

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think? Is this guy onto something or just on something?

Decidedly old school and proud of it, Pegasystems CEO Alan Trefler says the current app culture has abandoned the concept of customer-centricity with serious consequences for the US' ability to make software.

He is right in a sense, but completely off in another. Big software has abandoned customer-centricity by not be able to adapt their software quick enough for the rapid evolution of HW that is occurring. This issue started occurring long before there was a smart phone in nearly every hand. As a matter of fact..my PC was already starting to "loaf" in 2007-2008. In short...I had more processor than I needed by a large margin.

Yeah, he's never installed Microsoft Office. :( That thing is huge and stupid and full of features only used by the 1%. An office suite should be like a 200 MB install at most and an OS should be like maybe 300 MB. I'm sure pretty much everything Google does would be like half as big if it weren't for all the sneaky extra "watch you brush your teeth" stuff they try to stick in it to make software "business-centric" or more complete. Writing smaller programs is a good thing and he can take his bloatware someplace else thanks.

Yeah, he's never installed Microsoft Office. :( That thing is huge and stupid and full of features only used by the 1%. An office suite should be like a 200 MB install at most and an OS should be like maybe 300 MB. I'm sure pretty much everything Google does would be like half as big if it weren't for all the sneaky extra "watch you brush your teeth" stuff they try to stick in it to make software "business-centric" or more complete. Writing smaller programs is a good thing and he can take his bloatware someplace else thanks.

What you're asking for is more granularity in the software packages or perhaps more flexibility in the install.

Microsoft Office has a whole slew of powerful features that get used on a regular basis in the corporate world. I can understand why a student writing essays probably doesn't care about Excel's ability to integrate with SQL Server Analysis Services, but there is a market for it.

Office is "bloated" because it's a widespread software package that addresses a multitude of different needs, and I'm okay with that. The amount of power in a modern laptop is more than enough to run Office without any significant performance issues.

What you're asking for is more granularity in the software packages or perhaps more flexibility in the install.

Microsoft Office has a whole slew of powerful features that get used on a regular basis in the corporate world. I can understand why a student writing essays probably doesn't care about Excel's ability to integrate with SQL Server Analysis Services, but there is a market for it.

Office is "bloated" because it's a widespread software package that addresses a multitude of different needs, and I'm okay with that. The amount of power in a modern laptop is more than enough to run Office without any significant performance issues.

It hasn't got anything to do with performance, but you make a good point. I can understand why there's features like that in Office, but junk like OneNote that's just a software redundant way of making a directory structure to store files or linking Office to SharePoint which is just a dumb way to combine a database, web server, and file server into one thing are things I'll never ever use. Things like that are just ways to make dumb people be able to organize their stuff without using brain cells or to let people who don't know how to actually design something on the web claim they built this great site that lets people sing tra la la around the same virtual campfire. And MS Publisher? Whatever Microsoft, never even opened it.

In a world where hard drives are going away and we've moving to much more expensive and limited flash memory on devices, having a lot of storage requirements for something is just annoying and idiotic. And don't even get me started on ranting about computer games. Why would any game need like 30 GB of hard drive space? Bloat sucks in a world where your computer has like no space to store things and until we figure out that trying to do desktop and laptop work on tablets is a really dumb idea, we're gonna get stuck with expensive little screen thingeys that have nowhere to keep your files and force you to upload them to some remote server which is suddenly trendy and cool because they're calling it the "cloud" and it's "seamless integration" of networked resources. OMG I hate computers and people and people shaped like computers and people with tablets as their head. It's even worse when they're Windows tablets. Those Windows tablet headed people are the WORST EVER.

It hasn't got anything to do with performance, but you make a good point. I can understand why there's features like that in Office, but junk like OneNote that's just a software redundant way of making a directory structure to store files or linking Office to SharePoint which is just a dumb way to combine a database, web server, and file server into one thing are things I'll never ever use. Things like that are just ways to make dumb people be able to organize their stuff without using brain cells or to let people who don't know how to actually design something on the web claim they built this great site that lets people sing tra la la around the same virtual campfire. And MS Publisher? Whatever Microsoft, never even opened it.

In a world where hard drives are going away and we've moving to much more expensive and limited flash memory on devices, having a lot of storage requirements for something is just annoying and idiotic. And don't even get me started on ranting about computer games. Why would any game need like 30 GB of hard drive space? Bloat sucks in a world where your computer has like no space to store things and until we figure out that trying to do desktop and laptop work on tablets is a really dumb idea, we're gonna get stuck with expensive little screen thingeys that have nowhere to keep your files and force you to upload them to some remote server which is suddenly trendy and cool because they're calling it the "cloud" and it's "seamless integration" of networked resources. OMG I hate computers and people and people shaped like computers and people with tablets as their head. It's even worse when they're Windows tablets. Those Windows tablet headed people are the WORST EVER.
I'm glad I don't live in your tiny, narrow little world...

He's completely wrong about one thing

"No, let's send it overseas, where there are cheaper fingers to type. It's an incredibly stupid way of operating that doesn't reflect business outcomes."

The reason software development has become so iterative is in no small part to deal with outsourcing. Sitting on an idea too long means someone in India will have time to train people to copy it. You have to constantly push out new stuff, and come up with new concepts in order to stay on top. Agile methodology is based on not thinking too far ahead, and constantly changing things.

As a software developer I also disagree that the US is in any way on the downswing. We've got a hugely vibrant and innovative tech community. People keep saying that eventually it will taper off as everything gets outsourced, but in fact the opposite is happening. There is a lot of growth and I'd say the outsourcing is tappering off...(actually i have no idea bout outsourcing stats).

He might be onto something: ARM processors and now Atom processors are becoming strong enough to be able to handle larger and feature-chock apps than when the App Store and Play Store were first conceived.

So because you don't use it it's bloat? Onenote works fantastic for taking/organizing notes. On the surface with a digitizer, it's even more amazing with the handwriting conversion. If you already use something like Everest, then yes it will be redundant for you. Once you get in the corporate world that will change. Also, sharepoint is a document repository. So using skydrive to synchronize those files locally for offline editing while traveling is EXTREMELY useful. Upper management uses that all the time when traveling. So once again, it's only stupid to you since you don't use it.

And you are complaining about the size of games? Seriously? As the graphics/sound get better it takes more space. That's how it goes. Out of that 30GB, It's probably like 6-8Gb for the sound (if not more), and most of the rest is for the maps/characters etc. If they made games small enough to for you to not complain about that, you would talk about how crappy the graphics are or how the game is only 2 hours long....

So because you don't use it it's bloat? Onenote works fantastic for taking/organizing notes. On the surface with a digitizer, it's even more amazing with the handwriting conversion. If you already use something like Everest, then yes it will be redundant for you. Once you get in the corporate world that will change. Also, sharepoint is a document repository. So using skydrive to synchronize those files locally for offline editing while traveling is EXTREMELY useful. Upper management uses that all the time when traveling. So once again, it's only stupid to you since you don't use it.

And you are complaining about the size of games? Seriously? As the graphics/sound get better it takes more space. That's how it goes. Out of that 30GB, It's probably like 6-8Gb for the sound (if not more), and most of the rest is for the maps/characters etc. If they made games small enough to for you to not complain about that, you would talk about how crappy the graphics are or how the game is only 2 hours long....

Um, I do work for a hugenormous organization...at a desk...on a computer all day. OneNote is a wasteful way of simulating file folders with files in them. Sharepoint...ugh, I suffer with that broken dumb thing on a daily basis. It's slow, inefficient, workflows are always doing things they're not supposed to do and it's active directory and exchange integration is super flaketastic. It's really inefficient. SO yeah...that stuff...I've used it and it sucks. You're totally just into the whole Stockholm thing with your icky, bloated software in the same way people love inflicting Google products on themselves.

I don't play many computer games, but when I do, I don't play them for graphics or sound. My laptop has one tiny little speaker on the front and a GMA x3100 video card (or a GMA 950 if I'm using the one that's on my desk). My favorite games are the original Sims Complete Collection, Master of Orion 3, and I play a lot of Webkinz since they have a limited edition Grumpy Cat. But really, I have a lot more stuff I want to do that needs a computer for background and setup like doing image searches and typing documents or writing things and games aren't that important. I'd play more games if there wasn't this huge focus on graphics and the needing to download and store a lot of data just so it looks pretty.

Um, I do work for a hugenormous organization...at a desk...on a computer all day. OneNote is a wasteful way of simulating file folders with files in them.

This isn't at all what OneNote is about. OneNote's basic power derives from its ability to store just about any kind of information and then search it. The tabs and pages UI metaphor is just a simple and familiar organizational construct.

This isn't at all what OneNote is about. OneNote's basic power derives from its ability to store just about any kind of information and then search it. The tabs and pages UI metaphor is just a simple and familiar organizational construct.

Windows can already text search files stored in folders and if you organize stuff properly to begin with, you shouldn't have to search through your stuff to find what you're looking for.

Apps for mobiles are different from apps for desktops. App culture has nothing to do with the erosion of 'serious' software. It's just that many devs are making apps for smartphones and monetizing quickly vs. the long drawn out process of desktop apps that take a longer release time and don't monetize as quickly.

*grabs popcorn and subscribes*

69243363.gif

Windows can already text search files stored in folders and if you organize stuff properly to begin with, you shouldn't have to search through your stuff to find what you're looking for.

This isn't at all an analog of what OneNote can really do. It can search for text, text in images, words in audio and handwriting. It also provides a UI to do these things. One thing I do a lot with OneNote is capture whiteboards and other images via a camera and then store them in OneNote. Depending on the quality of the image and handwriting some of the text can be searched. But it is a trivial thing to then annotate the image with a pen of even keyboard. And please don't compare this to using Paint or some other image editing tool, that's just not the same thing.

If you see no need for OneNote that's fine. But there are a ton of people that swear by it even in this forum. Its popularity has only grown especially recently with a free version for OS X and Windows. Anyone that's serious about note taking or the capture of free form information isn't serious with a tool like OneNote. Evernote is also a popular alternative and has some advantages over OneNote. But the ability to ink and search on ink like text is the feature I can't live without. I don't see people that like using OneNote trying to accomplish what it and Evernote do through disparate files in a file system.

And please don't compare this to using Paint or some other image editing tool, that's just not the same thing.

Wait, you're setting up rules now for what people are and aren't allowed to compare stuff to? Why? Because it torpedoes rambling about bullet point selling features in a software package you're emotionally invested in using?

Whatever with your weird making limits on what I can compare stuff to. It's just like using MS Paint
hCE8C8F80

What do you guys think? Is this guy onto something or just on something?

In other words, he's upset because some $20 app can replace his $300,000 enterprise bloatware.

Having dealt with enough enterprise software myself, most of them have three things in common :
1.They are vastly overpriced
2.They get worse with each version due to bloat, regressions, and unfixed bugs.
3.The people designing the software care more about adding checklist features to impress bean counters rather than the people (e.g. the proles) who actually use the software.

Did you ever consider that you are just not a very proficient user of most applications? I only use a small subset of Office's capabilities, but form having worked on teams that had tow ork around it's limitations in the past for many, many legitimate business needs, it is very clear to me why a lot of the additional features and functionality have been added. That's not to say it doesn't have issues, especially with how it presents that feature set when you only want to use a subset of it. (adobe has been getting better and better with this IMO, while office largely has not)

One note doesn't jibe with your sense of note taking. Big whoop. It is apparently very effective for a whole lot of people.

Publisher, however is a stinky stinky turd. It could do what it does in 1kb of space and it would still be a turd, and that is because it does what it does badly, and doesn't understand what needs to be done regarding what it is trying to do. Everything else in the desktop publishing world understands the needs of the print industry and realizes all those needs can be scaled down to the desktop printer. Publisher doesn't and tries to make the whole world look like your printer. Bloat has nothing to do with it.

Tools SHOULD make things easier. If a tool makes something trivially easy, it is a GOOD tool for doing so, not crap because it fails to preserve your worldview that you are smart because you like toiling away at tedious shit, and others are stupid because they would rather do something other than obsess over a bunch of nested folders.

I don't play many computer games, but when I do, I don't play them for graphics or sound. My laptop has one tiny little speaker on the front and a GMA x3100 video card (or a GMA 950 if I'm using the one that's on my desk). My favorite games are the original Sims Complete Collection, Master of Orion 3, and I play a lot of Webkinz since they have a limited edition Grumpy Cat. But really, I have a lot more stuff I want to do that needs a computer for background and setup like doing image searches and typing documents or writing things and games aren't that important. I'd play more games if there wasn't this huge focus on graphics and the needing to download and store a lot of data just so it looks pretty.

So, why are you complaining about game install size when you don't play the modern games that require said large install size? There are plenty of good games out there that don't require 10+GB installs or mega graphics. By your own admission you're not a "hardcore" gamer.

If you want all your games on SSD, you pay for it. Thats life in tech. In many cases its not worth the money, others it is. SSD is for reducing loading times more than anything in gaming.

Great post. Pretty much what is "bloated" to some, is essential to the proper business functions of an organization.

Did you ever consider that you are just not a very proficient user of most applications?

I have thought about that and, I think you might be right. :) But still, it would be nice if Microsoft made a really light version of Office for people who just need the basics. I'm not even talking about stuff like the home and student edition that doesn't have some junk in it, but about something that's like Kingsoft Office lightweight. And their OS like the gross single fat guy that offers to shovel your driveway when it snows...you don't want to shovel it yourself because you know he'd be watching, but you also don't want him to do it because he'll expect you to give him your leftover pizza that he somehow knows was delivered last night.

So, why are you complaining about game install size when you don't play the modern games that require said large install size? There are plenty of good games out there that don't require 10+GB installs or mega graphics. By your own admission you're not a "hardcore" gamer.

If you want all your games on SSD, you pay for it. Thats life in tech. In many cases its not worth the money, others it is. SSD is for reducing loading times more than anything in gaming.

The problem is that to make tablets a couple millimeters thinner (which is POINTLESS and DUMB and is probably at least one third of the reason why I think all humanity should DIAF) OEMs make flash memory part of the system board so you can't ever get more storage. I have PDF files that take up like 11 GB of space and my pictures directory is like almost 2 GB too. If you get a junky Windows 8 tablet with 32 GB of storage space, you can't store that kinda stuff and have applications and have a few games. All because PC vendors want to compete with Apple and have a uselessly thin device that has no keyboard that you have to plug an external keyboard into and even after you do that you still don't have a mouse or anywhere to store your stuff. :(

Um, I do work for a hugenormous organization...at a desk...on a computer all day. OneNote is a wasteful way of simulating file folders with files in them. Sharepoint...ugh, I suffer with that broken dumb thing on a daily basis. It's slow, inefficient, workflows are always doing things they're not supposed to do and it's active directory and exchange integration is super flaketastic. It's really inefficient. SO yeah...that stuff...I've used it and it sucks. You're totally just into the whole Stockholm thing with your icky, bloated software in the same way people love inflicting Google products on themselves.

Then your company needs better system admins. Also sounds like you are a few versions back. SP 2013 has excellent integration with AD/Exch (not that I have seen those issues on 2007), and is much much faster than previous versions. Your complaints about onenote would apply to any note taking app then, but they are completely invalid. But feel free to store your note in files in folders then have to manually search through them all to find what you are looking for.

But like they say different strokes for different folks. So if you don't use it fine, but labeling it 'bloat' because you don't is just dumb. Feel free to use open office or notepad though since you don't need the tools in the office suite.

I actually do a lot of my book writing in Notepad because it's a lot less distracting. Then I use LibreOffice to edit and fix stuff once it's finished, but that's an at home thing and not an at work thing where we're stuck using awful Microsoft products.

Mobile app development and enterprise development are very different skillsets. There's overlap to some extent, but it's definitely not the same. I don't think it's a matter of "culture" more one of there aren't enough quality people with enterprise development skills. It's been that way for years and years though, so blaming it on "App Culture" is silly

I have PDF files that take up like 11 GB of space and my pictures directory is like almost 2 GB too. If you get a junky Windows 8 tablet with 32 GB of storage space, you can't store that kinda stuff and have applications and have a few games.

Then get a junky Windows 8 table with 64 GB or more and throw in an SD card. Both of my 8" Windows 8 tablets have 128 GB of total storage. With full installs of Office 2013 Pro, Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, 100+ modern apps, a couple of Steam games and several smaller desktop apps, the devices still have like 20 GB total free, including several gigs of data and an10 GB OneNote cache. I guess you're just trolling but you're also constantly not accurately describing the things you're harshly criticizing.

Then get a junky Windows 8 table with 64 GB or more and throw in an SD card. Both of my 8" Windows 8 tablets have 128 GB of total storage. With full installs of Office 2013 Pro, Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, 100+ modern apps, a couple of Steam games and several smaller desktop apps, the devices still have like 20 GB total free, including several gigs of data and an10 GB OneNote cache. I guess you're just trolling but you're also constantly not accurately describing the things you're harshly criticizing.

Only 20 GB left is getting close to being bad for your SSD. You're not supposed to fill them because stuff like TRIM, wear-leveling, and garbage collection don't work like they're supposed to as the drive gets closer to full. It's not my fault that you don't know anything about flash storage so don't go name calling just because you didn't do any research and are upset because I mentioned MS Paint when you said I wasn't allowed to.

I think the app culture has dumbed down the world "disruptive" or "revolutionary." I'm not a dick about "first world problems", a lot of these apps are helpful in a marginal way. But I'm not seeing anyone in the software world (at least anyone getting any press) that truly would change my life or even become a significant part of my day in a positive way.

Sounds like someone needs to see a therapist :D

I'm fine, thanks. It's just that people are so dumb and this ranty guy that the thread is about whining over how his stupid bloatware isn't selling because someone else is putting up a few free apps in the Play Store that do the same stuff for no money while he complains in public instead of going to actually do some work and maybe try competing or changing in some positive way is sooo annoying.

I'm fine, thanks. It's just that people are so dumb and this ranty guy that the thread is about whining over how his stupid bloatware isn't selling because someone else is putting up a few free apps in the Play Store that do the same stuff for no money while he complains in public instead of going to actually do some work and maybe try competing or changing in some positive way is sooo annoying.

Troll detected

Troll detected

Yeah, great don't waste time posting if you're not going to actually talk about something. Sitting around calling someone names because you don't agree with them is silly.

Besides, that guy is so obviously making as much noise as he can to get attention over putting down people who are actually making smaller apps that do useful things and are given away for free. He's obviously against the whole open or free software thing and it's because he's probably got a huge pile of bills and payments that he thinks people should pay for him while he doesn't do anything to make his apps smaller or better.

In other words, he's upset because some $20 app can replace his $300,000 enterprise bloatware.

Having dealt with enough enterprise software myself, most of them have three things in common :
1.They are vastly overpriced
2.They get worse with each version due to bloat, regressions, and unfixed bugs.
3.The people designing the software care more about adding checklist features to impress bean counters rather than the people (e.g. the proles) who actually use the software.

This right here should have ended the thread.

But here are the reasons for these:

1. How else are they going to stay in business when they only have a handful of customers?
2. This is probably because they hire programmers who are not really that good at what they do and also do not document their code. Another reason is arbitrary deadlines given by the higher ups. If it maybe sort of works at least 51% of the time, it is considered to be bug free.
3. See #2

1. How else are they going to stay in business when they only have a handful of customers?
2. This is probably because they hire programmers who are not really that good at what they do and also do not document their code. Another reason is arbitrary deadlines given by the higher ups. If it maybe sort of works at least 51% of the time, it is considered to be bug free.
3. See #2
Then they go and fire their knowledgeable programmers to replace them with cheaper, younger, naive workers

3. See #2

Yes and no. My company deals mostly with higher ed institutions. Many are large and highly bureaucratic.

Your 1.) point is valid. You are selling a specialized product targeting a narrow clientele so your price will be higher. It's why yellow onions are $1/ 10lb bag, whereas leek are $1/piece.

Point 2.) is not. Sure there are some bad programmers out there. But more often, it's because large business clients are very demanding and each has unique requirements.

The software must have this+this+this. It must be compatible with this+this+this. It must support this+this+that. A lot of times their requirements are contradictory. They want you to stay in sync with their internal DB, but don't want to provide you direct access. They contract you to build against a certain infrastructure (often a very old one), and while you're working, they change said infrastructure without telling you. So then all kinds of monkey patching has to happen to get things to be the way the clients wants.

Point is, it's a totally different ballgame from direct consumer apps.

This one I have to agree with. On all the computers here in the lab I turn off indexing and search in the services just so I can get it to run my software that controls my Mass Spectrometers and other equipment faster. Trying to load a 100MB to 1GB sized data file for processing takes forever if Windows decided to index the drive at the same time. With the data we collect and store we also end up with several million individual files on a hard drive but with a little organization I can find anything I need in just a couple seconds.

Directory for instrument, sub for year and sub for day and month and all my data is just a couple clicks deep. Of course I developed that strategy back in the pre-DOS days working with this equipment. HP-1000 runing RTE-A OS on 11mhz processor, you had to be efficient to get anything done lol.

Yeah, he's never installed Microsoft Office. :( That thing is huge and stupid and full of features only used by the 1%. An office suite should be like a 200 MB install at most and an OS should be like maybe 300 MB.

I've tried to find the =offshoreAccounting functions but just haven't been able to yet. Closed source software makes me :(

I work for a Fortune 500 company. Well #30 on the list. All of those crap you said is absolute garbage. What you've pointed out to me is that you are an inefficient worker. Sharepoint is fantastic in "hugenormous" organizations where the same groups work across large geographical areas and need an efficient way to share information while complying with international regulations such as ITAR (aka no open shares). Active Directory with our 150,000+ users combined with Exchange works very well on a large scale deployment.

Go ahead and continue to tell us how much of an inefficient person you are anyways.

Back