IT Salary Survey 2014

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's time once again for the IT Salary Survey! This time around there is an interactive map to help you gloat / feel bad about what you make compared to others in the industry. ;)

IT employees who participated in Computerworld's annual salary survey share that view of the market. They say a shortage of IT workers with the right skills, an uptick in new projects and a shift in the way IT works with business units have given them renewed optimism about IT careers -- though salaries and bonuses are advancing slowly.

LOL @ this is based off a 40 hour work week. HAHAHAHAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Me either! I'm waiting for some smartass to come in here and say "Yup, that looks about right!"

Sorry, I can't be that smartass...

These numbers look WAAAAY low, but that's likely because of the broad geographical areas covered. I work in Washington DC so I get clumped into the mid-atlantic. Also, there's no option for virtualization engineer, that could impact this quite a bit.

Checking in from California, the numbers are far lower than I expected. I make more than the director of IT salary listed and I'm not even a director of IT. There are TONS of jobs in Silicon Valley and very few qualified people so salaries are very competitive and very high. The other positions I'd say are fairly accurate. I pay entry level service desk engineers the rate that have listed.

Way to ruin my evening.

lol aint that the truth. I just completed 1 year as a helpdesk manager with 10 years experience in the helpdesk/service role and only make 55k =/

I think 86k is a little high, but I've heard enough verbal slips from payroll/HR to know what they were paying the last guy, and no matter how drunk I get them at happy hour they refuse to divulge what my position really pays.

These numbers are about double the average around here, even given 5+ years experience.

The equivalent average salary in my state down-under is about 20-40% lower then those figures for each of the respective job fields.

Costumer support and I make €20000 supporting two people with that salary.

I'm not too far off the national average. My boss keeps pushing me to get my certs, and if I did, I'd probably get just over the average... ~$75K.

*shrug*

I am way underpaid, even the job I am switching to in May is underpaid with its 20% pay increase. Oh well.

Well, I make less than the one guy in my region with a similar job and experience level.

TBH, it doesn't really matter to me what others make, what matters to me is whether I make what I think I should be making. The regions in that survey are way too large for any meaningful comparisons and the survey size is way to small. Seems like some lame ass attempt at clickbait.

Actual IT salary surveys that are worth a damn are done by Dice or Salary.com. Must be a slow news day here at [H].

Hmm... I'm getting the national average, but I live in Silicon Valley :/

I'm below the average a bit. Shocker. And yeah LOL at 40 hour work week... unpaid overtime is awesome.

Pretty accurate in my region, if I select years of experience & job title. This is far below the NATIONAL average but cost of living is far below the national average as well. Which is why national averages are completely pointless.

Widespread surveys don't mean a whole lot when the local market often changes things quite a bit. For example, an IT person in my city might make around 40k per year while an IT person working on the military base might make double that (in fact probably three times that). Why?

Security clearance for one. And nevermind the fact that areas around military bases (especially this one) often suck to live in, so they have to boost salaries in order to keep qualified personnel. Small differences can often mean quite a bit of salary difference in the real world, and moving from one market to the one right next door can literally kill these figures.

Yeah these salary averages don't make much sense. Firstly, it doesn't take into account exact locale. How can you average what someone makes in a higher cost of living area like Atlanta with some random backwoods town in West Virginia?

What is a "computer operator"?
And yeah I am underpaid based off this stupid survery and I live in NYC.

Apparently the New England region is so smart that they don't need Help Desk employees.

Right... I think this survey is tainted.
For me I get paid about 25k less than surveyed for my area, and my peers are paid about the same as myself in similar positions across the area.

"More than 15 responses but fewer than 30"

hmm.. quite the sampling group.

Why do some of you stay with your jobs knowing you're so underpaid? I can understand it if you live in a low population area however I've been noticing such a massive amount of open job reqs from companies needing technical engineers and a tiny, tiny talent pool to fill the job to the point I've lost engineers to salaries my company refuses to compete with. We are scraping the barrel to get good engineers now.

I'm not too far off the national average. My boss keeps pushing me to get my certs, and if I did, I'd probably get just over the average... ~$75K.

*shrug*

Dood, get yer certs. Unless you gots boatloads of free cash sitting around. :eek:

Why do some of you stay with your jobs knowing you're so underpaid? I can understand it if you live in a low population area however I've been noticing such a massive amount of open job reqs from companies needing technical engineers and a tiny, tiny talent pool to fill the job to the point I've lost engineers to salaries my company refuses to compete with. We are scraping the barrel to get good engineers now.

I live in a low population area... which also means a lower cost of living due to housing costs.
I also view where I live as a higher quality of life.

Money would be the Primary advantage of moving, however it'd be quickly offset by higher housing costs, and a drop in quality of life.

I enjoy visiting cities like Boston and enjoying what the city has to offer, but then I want to go home where it's quiet, dark and there are only 4.3 people per square mile.

Checking in from California, the numbers are far lower than I expected. I make more than the director of IT salary listed and I'm not even a director of IT. There are TONS of jobs in Silicon Valley and very few qualified people so salaries are very competitive and very high. The other positions I'd say are fairly accurate. I pay entry level service desk engineers the rate that have listed.

Same in LA. I make way more than a sysadmin on that site, and there are TONS of jobs out here in IT, but most of the "IT workers" are 2bit smacktards. Just interviewed a guy for a helpdesk job and he went on and on about how he wasn't too versed in powershell but he had bad ass his Linux shell skills, and they are pretty similar, so it shouldn't be a stretch. Ok, So I stuck my laptop in front of him and told him to configure a working web server of his choice in an Ubuntu server instance I had running on my laptop. He choked SO hard it wasn't funny. Kept pulling up cal and running some temp file clear outs... He said he never used Ubuntu much and was always on RHEL. Ok, CentOS VM powered up, GO! Even with a GUI, he had no idea what the fuck he was doing. LMAO. NEXT!

So yeah, lots of jobs, too few qualified people. Just hold onto the good ones and spread the load I say.

Same in LA. I make way more than a sysadmin on that site, and there are TONS of jobs out here in IT, but most of the "IT workers" are 2bit smacktards. Just interviewed a guy for a helpdesk job and he went on and on about how he wasn't too versed in powershell but he had bad ass his Linux shell skills, and they are pretty similar, so it shouldn't be a stretch. Ok, So I stuck my laptop in front of him and told him to configure a working web server of his choice in an Ubuntu server instance I had running on my laptop. He choked SO hard it wasn't funny. Kept pulling up cal and running some temp file clear outs... He said he never used Ubuntu much and was always on RHEL. Ok, CentOS VM powered up, GO! Even with a GUI, he had no idea what the fuck he was doing. LMAO. NEXT!

So yeah, lots of jobs, too few qualified people. Just hold onto the good ones and spread the load I say.

Why are you having a HelpDesk guy setting up a web server?

Makes me glad I don't work in IT. Also makes me very thankful for the IT at my company. Rockstars, each one of them (that is not sarcasm).

Why are you having a HelpDesk guy setting up a web server?

Looking for liars and people that fake their experience. He was a liar. He went on and on about his bad ass skills, without us even asking about them. So I let him show me. Liar. Bye.

Liars don't pass the security clearance so why not filter them out beforehand? We don't have time or resources to waste on frauds and cheats. It costs cold hard cash to put a person through a clearance screen, so better to call a bullshitter one than find out after.

60K is poverty in one region while you can live like a king with that in others. One thing that really burns my bacon is some out of work IT folks giving away skilled labor at fire sale prices. Granted I get that you need to eat, I understand that very well but every time some guy with years of experience with certs settle for a job paying 13 bucks an hour, it affects us all.

I think part of the problem with this list is unlike a lot of other fields IT has so many job titles with many of the them overlapping, what one company calls sys admin another calls sys engineer etc.. My role for example is probably closer to what they are calling a Systems Architect but my title is Systems Engineer but I also could fit the Systems Administrator at some places. With that said I make between their listed Architect role and Admin role for my region. So I guess its some what accurate for me.

But yeah looking over this generally and having an idea of what different roles pay in different regions most of these look really low to me.

60K is poverty in one region while you can live like a king with that in others. One thing that really burns my bacon is some out of work IT folks giving away skilled labor at fire sale prices. Granted I get that you need to eat, I understand that very well but every time some guy with years of experience with certs settle for a job paying 13 bucks an hour, it affects us all.

Who's more to blame, the IT worker that accepts $13 an hour, or the local economy that won't pay more than that?

I am getting paid half what they list for a Project manager in my area.
However, I don't have a degree or a PMP or any other project manager certification.
So yea....

Back