Final Windows XP-Office 2003 Patch Tuesday a Light One

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After all of the hoopla surrounding the end-of-support cycle of Windows XP, you would really expect the venerable operating system to get its final Patch Tuesday update in a huge package all wrapped with a bow. In fact, the final update for Windows XP and Office 2003 is going out of support on a light note.

There will be a total of four updates released for all products, two for Windows and two for Office.

They won't update it anymore, but will the current updates will still be accessible for a long time on Windows Update?

I still find the ribbon to be way less efficient(and to big) even after all this time using it. At home I prefer having 2003.

I still find the ribbon to be way less efficient(and to big) even after all this time using it. At home I prefer having 2003.

Yup still using 2003 here too even though I have 2007.

Ribbon is a zillion times better than the old toolbar + menu system.
Its a matter of taste. I hate the ribbon. I use it all the time at work, but still prefer the classic look of 2003.

I'm faster with it, it takes less mouse movement and less click to get the job done.
You can personalize the ribbon, but that means everytime you use another computer you'll search for everything, customization will make you faster on your computer but ridiculously slow on everywhere else.

Updates are overrated TBH. I lived off SP1 for the longest time and didn't have any issues. My main defenses were being behind a firewall thanks to my router, and using Firefox + NoScript. I also didn't have any stupid insecure plugins enabled like Java or Acrobat. I also turned off Autoplay through Group Policy.

The only thing that could have gotten me is malicious Flash stuff through scripts from domains I had whitelisted through NoScript, but other than a handful of sites, that was few and far between.

I don't care about XP, but I'm really gonna miss Office 2003 because they took away the office assistant feature in 2007+

I <3 Links sooooo much! Nothing's better than having a sleepy little kitty hanging out on your computer while you type something. And closing a filing cabinet drawer with a tail or paw stamping papers when you print something is so *squee* awesome!

II <3 Links sooooo much! Nothing's better than having a sleepy little kitty hanging out on your computer while you type something. And closing a filing cabinet drawer with a tail or paw stamping papers when you print something is so *squee* awesome!
Man you are creepy! :eek:
/me slowly backs away...

Its a matter of taste. I hate the ribbon. I use it all the time at work, but still prefer the classic look of 2003.

I'm faster with it, it takes less mouse movement and less click to get the job done.
You can personalize the ribbon, but that means everytime you use another computer you'll search for everything, customization will make you faster on your computer but ridiculously slow on everywhere else.

I hate the ribbon too, but geez 2003!? And 2007? You're still 2 versions behind there too, we're on 2013. A lot has improved through the versions... the Sharepoint and Onedrive integration is the killer feature for me. Live peer editing and sharing between all my devices especially with Onenote just works really well (my work uses Office 365 for non-high security documents), and even works well enough on Android devices at the same time...

Man you are creepy! :eek:
/me slowly backs away...

What are you talking about? The other office assistants in 2003 are a lot more creepy. Like Clippy and that wizard guy...yuck. Also, I really don't like dogs or people who own dogs since most of them are also smokers or just have other problems like being responsible with money so I'd never pick the dog office assistant because I don't want to have that sort of stuff associated with me.

I hate the ribbon too, but geez 2003!? And 2007? You're still 2 versions behind there too, we're on 2013. A lot has improved through the versions... the Sharepoint and Onedrive integration is the killer feature for me. Live peer editing and sharing between all my devices especially with Onenote just works really well (my work uses Office 365 for non-high security documents), and even works well enough on Android devices at the same time...
At work I use 2010, I dont care for anything other than word and excel. Dont need sharepoint, onedrive, etc. Ribbon hasn't improved a bit IMHO.

It would have been nice if they had done a "Cumulative Update" or "Update Rollup" package. That way if you have to install a fresh copy (or roll back a VM, etc,) you only have one .exe/.msi to download and install to get EVERY update since SP3.

It would have been nice if they had done a "Cumulative Update" or "Update Rollup" package. That way if you have to install a fresh copy (or roll back a VM, etc,) you only have one .exe/.msi to download and install to get EVERY update since SP3.

MS doesn't want to encourage people to continue installing XP, they aren't going to make life easier.

Yeah I hate the new interface. Always have to chase for everything and try to figure out where stuff is. The programs themselves are also dog slow. They recently upgraded at work and it's sooooo slowwwww. Especially Outlook. Launch it, and pretty much have time to go for coffee. I don't get the point of taking an app and making it slower and heavier, for absolutely no reason. It does not do more or less than the last version did.

I'd love to see something like that. Even if it's on MSDN with a "Final" Windows XP install ISO. Some people require it, and having all the updates available at install would be better than having to download a TON of updates.

Especially Outlook. Launch it, and pretty much have time to go for coffee. I don't get the point of taking an app and making it slower and heavier, for absolutely no reason. It does not do more or less than the last version did.

Really? I find Outlook extremely fast. It could be because of the very shitty Lotus Notes that I've been using at work (finally switching to Outlook/Office 365). I use Outlook at home. I tried Live Mail and Thunderbird, but not too happy. I like having a client on my machine to look at old emails when I need to. Gmail is great for the rest of the time (which I use for personal email at work - fast, reliable, and easy to use).

So, while I have no huge connection to Outlook (it just works fine for me), I don't have any issues with it, either. It just works great for me. I don't care if the name says Outlook or Apple Mail.... It works.

Yeah that would be awesome. I wonder if any 3rd party has done this. I'd definitly grab that.

I still like using XP when I need a windows VM as it's much lighter than 7.

2003 was one of the better versions. Hate the huge ribbon thingy, hide it. Makes for a very inefficient interface and a waste of space.

Really? I find Outlook extremely fast. It could be because of the very shitty Lotus Notes that I've been using at work (finally switching to Outlook/Office 365). I use Outlook at home. I tried Live Mail and Thunderbird, but not too happy. I like having a client on my machine to look at old emails when I need to. Gmail is great for the rest of the time (which I use for personal email at work - fast, reliable, and easy to use).

So, while I have no huge connection to Outlook (it just works fine for me), I don't have any issues with it, either. It just works great for me. I don't care if the name says Outlook or Apple Mail.... It works.

Try selecting 1,000 or more emails, or deleting that many emails. Lock up city FTW! :D I work in a NOC, it's not uncommon at all. Usually have to do it in smaller sections though, can't do it all at once.

But coming from Lotus Notes I think even using the "mail" command in Linux would be an upgrade. :D

Back