Microsoft Studios Hit By Lay-Offs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The timing of these layoffs is a bit odd. The company just promoted Phil Spencer to the new "head of Xbox" position and then the axe falls on a bunch of Microsoft Studios employees. Hmmm.

A Microsoft representative said of the lay-offs, “At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of our commitment to this goal, we are always evaluating our development priorities, and there are times when decisions need to be made to realign plans and refocus our efforts.

Every time I hear about layoffs it's always followed by the company saying "Our goal is to be fun/fresh/exciting/some other superlative" followed by "we're doing this by firing people and telling them to eat shit!"

When the real reason usually is "we had to free up some cash to give upper management raises and bonuses."

Upper management congratulates themselves on laying off people and saving the company money by giving themselves raises.

Interesting since Sony has been doing the same thing with their studios. Times must really be tough in the games business.

This always happens. Someone gets to be the new exalted rooster and heads roll to make themselves look better. Nothing new here.

OR MAYBE.

They are cutting the fat.

Jeeze, bunch of commies around here. Always complaining about layoffs............

Or maybe, MS year end is June 30. Yesterday was the first day of the final quarter of its fiscal year.

Trimming groups to reduce costs in preparation for the next fiscal year.

Plus these people were "business/marketing" people, not development/creative making games.

No story here.

In our father's era, companies bragged about how many associates they employed, nowadays they brag about how few associates they employ. Sad days are coming for this nation and the world.

Maybe MS is comfortable with external developers now and no longer feels the need to maintain a large inhouse team ... Sony too ... nothing wrong with that

I'm still upset with the layoff's of the Aces team and Flight Simulator... :mad:

It always sucks when there are layoffs, but maybe they make sense and they are getting rid of those that are losing money instead of making it. Which is the nature of the business.

Or maybe, MS year end is June 30. Yesterday was the first day of the final quarter of its fiscal year.

Plus these people were "business/marketing" people, not development/creative making games.

No story here.

Your logic is not welcome in this "MS is teh devi1!11" discussion.

No story here.

/sarcasm here...
You mean microsoft actually has develpment/creative people? MS really fooled me with almost no first party games! obviously they needed to fire some business/marketing people for their flub up with xbone!

I'm guessing this is SOP for corp America. Get rid of the dead weights so they can bring in fresh faces and fresh ideas.

I'm guessing this is SOP for corp America. Get rid of the dead weights so they can bring in fresh faces and fresh ideas.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that the SOP for any business in any country ... there can be a valid debate on whether an individual is dead weight or not but getting rid of true dead weight is good for any business ;)

I'm all for business assholes having their lives ruined, but so far I've heard nothing about business assholes getting shitcanned, while the article in question clearly states it's an artist and a producer losing their jobs. Mind providing some proof of your claim?

I'm still upset with the layoff's of the Aces team and Flight Simulator... :mad:

MS should be upset about that now to, since virtual reality headsets look to be the next big thing, and MS ended ESP when they got rid of Aces Studio.

Back