Quality 27" or higher IPS for Gaming & Multimedia

gilean

n00b
Long time lurker here.

I know there's a lot of similar posts, but I just can't seem to believe a monitor like I'm looking for isn't available.

I have a Dell U2311h 23.7" and want to upgrade to a larger monitor.

I've read lots of the posts on monitors, read the reviews on the TFT Central and other sites and extensively searched the web looking for a 27" IPS panel (or equivalent) monitor with less than 10ms response, low ghosting, and IPS quality color. Basically a Gaming/Movie panel. Does such a monitor exist? The TFT Selector on TFT Central recommends a Class 2 input lag Asus PB278Q. This is almost double what the U2311h's lag is. This is to high for me personally, I play a lot of FPS games such as Battlefield 4.

This is specifically what I'm looking for:

- 27" or greater IPS (including similar PLS / AHVA) for color
- 10ms or less lag
- low to no ghosting

Following doesn't matter:
- Aspect ratio
- Can be low resolution for a 27" example 1920x1080
- No need for full color gamut

Does any one have or can recommend a monitor that fits this description? I'm really not interested in the 144hz TN panels. I don't understand the benefits of these if most of my games have the settings set to get 60fps. I'd also rather not give up the color depth of a IPS just for 144hz. Am I missing from the benefits of 144hz?

Just get a qnix evo II 1440p from a korean seller on ebay. I just got one from greensum for $289 and its perfect.

Interesting, I'm guessing it's an overclocked panel? Thing that makes me leery of a manufacturer like Qnix is this:

- Qnix monitor Defective standard (up to 5 white pixels are normal).

This and I've read it has no OSD. You can't control contrast, gamma, sharpness..etc.

This would cause me to go OCD in a hurry :)

Most people are going to tell you the same answer you already got, resistance is futile.

Interesting, I'm guessing it's an overclocked panel? Thing that makes me leery of a manufacturer like Qnix is this:

- Qnix monitor Defective standard (up to 5 white pixels are normal).

This and I've read it has no OSD. You can't control contrast, gamma, sharpness..etc.

This would cause me to go OCD in a hurry :)

Yes and thats why my other display is a UP2414Q.....so I can go all hog wild to my hearts content with a professional OSD & 8 million perfect pixels.

The Qnix is a base model big block corvette with no air conditioning and the UP2414Q is a Rolls Royce. Your looking for an Auston Martin and sadly no displays fit that bill yet

Last edited:
Read this article about input lag:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-myths,3694-4.html

I went from a P2414H rated at 5ms+, to U2713HM rated at 22ms+ and I'm enjoying the hell out of BF4 and AC Black Flag @ 1440p.

I see the pixels respond slower on U27, like the subtle mouse trail or faint overshoot when moving objects, but the mouse does not feel laggy.
The only problem I had was adjusting to the new resolution where I need more precision in programs like Photoshop. Everything is so tiny I had to adjust my mouse for hours.

Testing on aim400kg.ru at the moment, I can't really see a difference (U27 and P24 side by side). Will post results when they are conclusive.

I'm using a Logitech G600 @ 1000Hz.

Last edited:
Yes and thats why my other display is a UP2414Q.....so I can go all hog wild to my hearts content with a professional OSD & 8 million perfect pixels.

The Qnix is a base model big block corvette with no air conditioning and the UP2414Q is a Rolls Royce. Your looking for an Auston Martin and sadly no displays fit that bill yet

You're right about this, exactly what I'm looking for does appear to be a unicorn. I just find it odd I'm in the minority being in the middle ground consumer.

Read this article about input lag:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-myths,3694-4.html

I went from a P2414H rated at 5ms+, to U2713HM rated at 22ms+ and I'm enjoying the hell out of BF4 and AC Black Flag @ 1440p.

I see the pixels respond slower on U27, like the subtle mouse trail or faint overshoot when moving objects, but the mouse does not feel laggy.
The only problem I had was adjusting to the new resolution where I need more precision in programs like Photoshop. Everything is so tiny I had to adjust my mouse for hours.

Testing on aim400kg.ru at the moment, I can't really see a difference (U27 and P24 side by side). Will post results when they are conclusive.

I'm using a Logitech G600 @ 1000Hz.

Thanks for the info on this, I was curious if lag rating is maybe not more scary on paper than it is when actually using the monitor in action. Definitely interested in your test results.

Last edited:
21:9 29"=wide 23"

The Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 is really good (review). The new (fall 2013), 2560x1440 Korean AH-IPS use Plasma Deposition Coating while most of the 2014 monitors use multi-input AHVA panels which will have at least a frame of input lag and might not have proper brightness controls since some of the multi-input monitors do not. The single input (dual-link dvi only) monitors don't have any input lag.

I am tempted to guinea pig one of these at that price point. I notice the review does have ICC profiles and I do own an i1 Display pro for my own.

Thanks for the info on this, I was curious if lag rating is maybe not more scary on paper than it is when actually using the monitor in action. Definitely interested in your test results.

Unfortunately I found out my G600 has input lag (25-50ms, apparently a known issue), while testing different mice on aim400kg.

Press Reaction test (dozens of tries, same PC, U2713HM):
G600 lowest: 0,244s.
G500 lowest: 0,195s

G600 Exact Aiming test:
score: 30.300
hits: 183
misses: 16
missed targets: 46
total targets: 234
Aiming time: 0,655

I got a 1440p to find out my favorite mouse is laggy... oh the joy. Now I have to adjust to the G500.

PS: I'm not a FPS gamer, I actually dislike shooters. aim400kg helps improve my precision in Photoshop. Alot, I must say.

Last edited:
Guinea pig? Hundreds of people own these (OCN thread) and I've tested 2 (glossy and matte) Qnix's. Sometimes the HP ZR2740W goes on sale for 350$.

Should have stated Guinea pig for me personally. The specifications are awesome and I think the bypass on the monitor using just the video card straight to the panel needs to be offered by more vendors. But I have a very low tolerance for stuck pixels and back-light bleeding and have never ordered a panel straight from Korea. The number one negative I've read is how it's a panel lottery and hit or miss for light bleed, stuck pixels, and yellow tint. I'm just not sure how I'd return a panel that I'm not happy with. That's the guinea pig part for me.

Should have stated Guinea pig for me personally. The specifications are awesome and I think the bypass on the monitor using just the video card straight to the panel needs to be offered by more vendors. But I have a very low tolerance for stuck pixels and back-light bleeding and have never ordered a panel straight from Korea. The number one negative I've read is how it's a panel lottery and hit or miss for light bleed, stuck pixels, and yellow tint. I'm just not sure how I'd return a panel that I'm not happy with. That's the guinea pig part for me.

Your totally over thinking this. I have owned ONE Catleap 2b, ONE glossy 60hz shimian, TWO Overlord OCs and now ONE Qnix EVO II and all have been perfect! The only reason why I went through so many is cause I'm a monitor whore who changes display setups more than Madonna changes dicks :p My God man you can buy one of these for less than $300...pull the trigger, jump off the cliff, hop on the bandwagon, get with the program, your either with us or against us....

You know what, when I'm on the fence with a purchase I like to hum a little motivational tune:

Try to be best
‘Cause you're only a man
And a man's gotta learn to take it
Try to believe
Though the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it
History repeats itself
Try and you'll succeed
Never doubt that you're the one
And you can have your dreams!
You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own
Fight ‘til the end
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you
Ah you gotta be proud
starin' out in the cloud
When the odds in the game defy you
Try your best to win them all
and one day time will tell
when you're the one that's standing there
you'll reach the final bell!
You're the best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ho-how-ho-own
INSPIRING GUITAR SOLO
You're the best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Fight ‘til you drop
never stop
can't give up
Til you reach the top (FIGHT!)
you're the best in town (FIGHT!)
Listen to that sound
A little bit of all you got
Can never bring you down
You're the Best! Around! Nothing!
(Chorus: “Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.”)
You're the Best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever bring you down.
You're the Best! Around! Nothing! No thing!
Yeah!
You're the Best! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.
You're the BEST! Yeah.

Last edited:
Your totally over thinking this. I have owned ONE Catleap 2b, ONE glossy 60hz shimian, TWO Overlord OCs and now ONE Qnix EVO II and all have been perfect! The only reason why I went through so many is cause I'm a monitor whore who changes display setups more than Madonna changes dicks :p My God man you can buy one of these for less than $300...pull the trigger, jump off the cliff, hop on the bandwagon, get with the program, your either with us or against us....

You know what, when I'm on the fence with a purchase I like to hum a little motivational tune:

Try to be best
‘Cause you're only a man
And a man's gotta learn to take it
Try to believe
Though the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it
History repeats itself
Try and you'll succeed
Never doubt that you're the one
And you can have your dreams!
You're the best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Fight ‘til the end
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you
Ah you gotta be proud
starin' out in the cloud
When the odds in the game defy you
Try your best to win them all
and one day time will tell
when you're the one that's standing there
you'll reach the final bell!
You're the best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ho-how-ho-own
INSPIRING GUITAR SOLO
You're the best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
You're the Best!
Around!
Fight ‘til you drop
never stop
can't give up
Til you reach the top (FIGHT!)
you're the best in town (FIGHT!)
Listen to that sound
A little bit of all you got
Can never bring you down
You're the Best! Around! Nothing!
You're the Best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever bring you down.
You're the Best! Around! Nothing! No thing!
Yeah!
You're the Best! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.
You're the BEST! Yeah.

lol I have the sudden urge to crane kick someone. Basically the QNIX is the only monitor that remotely fits what I want so I'll hum that while I order one.

I just find it really baffling that these QNIX units have no competitor outside of South Korean budget brands and are wildly outselling the premium displays the A+ panels are being binned out for... it's just kinda bizarre. I get that the Overclocking part is YMMV but... none of the premium display makers are even dipping their toes in the water. People are willing to pay 900 dollars for the Catleaps... they will pay a bunch more for a better housing and a brand name with status.

OK all I just purchased a 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 ll 2560x1440 Samsung PLS Matte Monitor off ebay. Thanks for the great feedback. Here's hoping luck goes my way and I get a low / no backlight bleed and no stuck pixels.

Last edited:
OK all I just purchased a 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 ll 2560x1440 Samsung PLS Matte Monitor off ebay. Thanks for the great feedback. Here's hoping luck goes my way and I get a low / no backlight bleed and no stuck pixels.

I send positive juju u way :p I got a tempered glass one from Greensum and love it...most people don't like the glossy tempered glass, but I enjoy fawning over my reflection during black scenes.

I just find it really baffling that these QNIX units have no competitor outside of South Korean budget brands and are wildly outselling the premium displays the A+ panels are being binned out for... it's just kinda bizarre. I get that the Overclocking part is YMMV but... none of the premium display makers are even dipping their toes in the water. People are willing to pay 900 dollars for the Catleaps... they will pay a bunch more for a better housing and a brand name with status.

$900 for a catleap 2B is laughable....I mean when there were rumors a few years back that there would be no more 2B PCBs yea I could see that price, but not now with all of the plentiful overclockable Qnix Evo II's on the market! The premium display makers target where the money is and the money is in crappy run of the mill 60hz IPS screens with massive AG coatings for the general white bread, corn syrup eating, bud drinking from a can populace ;)

Last edited:
Guinea pig? Hundreds of people own these (OCN thread) and I've tested 2 (glossy and matte) Qnix's. Sometimes the HP ZR2740W goes on sale for 350$.

Got my Perfect Pixel 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 ll 2560x1440 Samsung PLS Matte Monitor today. Paid extra for perfect pixel. Panel is cracked in the middle from the bottom to the top. Bad luck? Shipping damage?

Used the ebay seller hulustar which NCX used for his review panels. NCX QX2710 Review

Not looking forward to return shipping

jxI1pCo.jpg

Last edited:
I paid $499 for an Overlord Tempest X270OC and feel it was worth every penny! I highly recommend them although I know there are cheaper options!

Got my Perfect Pixel 27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 ll 2560x1440 Samsung PLS Matte Monitor today. Paid extra for perfect pixel. Panel is cracked in the middle from the bottom to the top. Bad luck? Shipping damage?

Used the ebay seller hulustar which NCX used for his review panels. NCX QX2710 Review

Not looking forward to return shipping

Well, that's just... ugh.

I guess maybe l888bastard getting drunk or whatever and singing you that song from The Karate Kid to get you to pull the trigger caused your Korean reseller to be offended and kick your monitor in the face. :mad:

I'd be gutted. I freaked out when I had to wait a week for a new monitor while using a 19" 3:4 for backup a couple months ago and then it showed up with a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. Sending it back took only 3 days since it was within the US but getting the actual refund took more than a month. Had ordered and returned another monitor already by then ;) Returning monitors gets old. I do have 2 slightly not so cheap 1080p Eizos that I've kept because they are actually pretty fantastic, though--just most of the monitors I try suck really bad in one way or another.

I've ordered a Qnix/Xstar 3 times now and chickened out all 3 times and cancelled. If they didn't take so long to ship these days I wouldn't get cold feet. How you made it through 2 weeks and then took what looks like a jab with a spear through your monitor and aren't freaking out, IDK. Hope the replacement is outstanding, you shouldn't pay for return shipping. I think I'd just go ahead and open a claim if they start jacking with you. I've read a couple not so good comments about Hulustar. At any rate Hulustar is part of GMarket group I think. They are mostly all the same people.

Well, that's just... ugh.

How you made it through 2 weeks and then took what looks like a jab with a spear through your monitor and aren't freaking out, IDK. Hope the replacement is outstanding, you shouldn't pay for return shipping. I think I'd just go ahead and open a claim if they start jacking with you. I've read a couple not so good comments about Hulustar. At any rate Hulustar is part of GMarket group I think. They are mostly all the same people.

Oh I'm freaking out alright and I REALLY wasn't happy when I took it out of the box and seen that panel cracked that way. I work in IT and I've gotten quite a few LCD monitor shipments in my time but never one that looked like it was used as a shield in Braveheart.

Hulustar has started the process with DHL for the damage. Not quite sure how it's going to turn out since the box is in good shape. The only way I could see the damage it has happening would be from DHL placing something heavy on top of it with the box laying vertical.

Thanks for the claim advice and the hope I get a good replacement. I'll keep starting a claim in mind. Right now Hulustar is responding quickly.

Just wanted to follow up with my damaged monitor example just to show that it's not quite as easy to get these Korean monitors in good condition as everyone may think.

Just wanted to follow up with my damaged monitor example just to show that it's not quite as easy to get these Korean monitors in good condition as everyone may think.

Looking back, when this started, several years ago now--people were saying things like "looks like 10% failure". It's probably about the same... and I'm curious--if you were actually not sure if it was shipping damage or not... I can only assume the packaging looked undamaged?

Here's my prediction and my conspiracy theory:
Hulustar will claim shipping damage and the freight company will have to pay the insurance coverage on it. You will then be re-entered into the Korean Monitor Club lottery, at which point your time with ebay buyer protection has about run out. That much is pretty open and shut.

I suspect this monitor may have already been damaged when Hulustar shipped it, and they are just scamming the shipping company--particularly if the carton is in good shape. I guarantee you there's a percentage of these transactions that are going on just like that. Why would DHL or Fedex let it continue? Because they need the business. Same reason you don't usually see a lot of prosecution for shoplifting at grocery stores. They're making more money by letting a few people quietly steal because they are getting tons of business for looking the other way.

Yes, the monitor box is in excellent shape. No creases or dents where the damage was done to the panel on either side of the box. Had me concerned that DHL wouldn't cover the damage. But if what you say is remotely the case, they probably will.

Back