Amazon's German Workers Go On Strike Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon workers in Germany are on strike again. Apparently they still haven't worked out the issues since last time they went on strike.

A spokesman for the Verdi labor union said about 500 of the around 1,200 workers at Amazon's distribution center in Leipzig were expected to strike. Amazon employs a total of 9,000 warehouse staff at nine distribution centers in Germany.

I'd side with amazon on the reasoning that people who do pick/pack are logistics workers and not retail/mail order.

I wonder if they all look like Deiter from Sprockets.

16k3tqx.jpg

I would fix that to read "Amazon's workers in Germany" rather than German workers. The vast majority are Turkish working in Germany, not Germans.

Given the fact that Germany and in particular it's citizens were smart enough to protect it's jobs in the recent past including higher paying union jobs, and that without those prior intelligent actions then Germany would not have been in a position to bail out most of Europe, which then would have resulted in that part of the world and probably everybody else now being in a deep depression (if the whole system didn't crash entirely and we went back to metal/gems/chickens for cash), I'd give this one to the workers in Germany. Lets not forget we are still on very shaky ground and the only way out of it is decent paying middle class jobs. I'm sure Amazon would classify it's entire workforce as carnival ride operators if it meant saving money regardless of what duties those employees actually performed. We see plenty of mis-classifications here in the US too. It's not uncommon to see employees mis-classified in order to pay them less than standard wages for their actual job duties or mis-classification of high risk jobs to less risk classifications to avoid true insurance/workman comp costs. Typical slimey corporate stuff which has a net effect of hurting regular people and small business.

Amazon, however, has rejected the demand, arguing that it regards warehouse staff as logistics workers and says they receive above-average pay by the standards of that industry.

lol

love it

Coworker has left the company to replace virtually all the regular warehouse logistics guys with robots. No joke.

So they are only hastening the advantage of automating their jobs. Its pretty neat, an overhead camera can read the barcode labels and basically giant roomba like devices follow lines to pick up the object from the warehouse and deliver it to packaging or visa versa and store it. Everything is scanned and tracked in transit, reducing theft and loss due to human error.

Only the actual packaging/boxing of the item still requires a person.

Given the fact that Germany and in particular it's citizens were smart enough to protect it's jobs in the recent past including higher paying union jobs, and that without those prior intelligent actions then Germany would not have been in a position to bail out most of Europe, which then would have resulted in that part of the world and probably everybody else now being in a deep depression (if the whole system didn't crash entirely and we went back to metal/gems/chickens for cash), I'd give this one to the workers in Germany. Lets not forget we are still on very shaky ground and the only way out of it is decent paying middle class jobs. I'm sure Amazon would classify it's entire workforce as carnival ride operators if it meant saving money regardless of what duties those employees actually performed. We see plenty of mis-classifications here in the US too. It's not uncommon to see employees mis-classified in order to pay them less than standard wages for their actual job duties or mis-classification of high risk jobs to less risk classifications to avoid true insurance/workman comp costs. Typical slimey corporate stuff which has a net effect of hurting regular people and small business.

but, but, but, Jeff Bezos is supposed to be a good leftist.

Oh, okay, so they all look like this? Got it.

vdlklj.jpg
Not all have mustaches... but yes! :D

They are only like 5% of the population, but in the industrial sector for like warehouse jobs around Nordrhein-Westfalen and Baden-Wuertemberg, fugedaboudid! Its like little-Turkey.

Back