water cooling an old GPU

jamsomito

2[H]4U
Hi all - I've got a baby on the way and I need to quiet down my PC! I'm happy with the sound levels right now, but when I game, the GPU ramps up to ~60% fan speed and gets pretty loud. I just got it tweaked nicely for everything except the GPU, so I'm looking for the best universal water block for it. Here's my current setup:

i5 2500k @ 4.6 GHz, 1.35V
Raystorm CPU block
360 Radiator with 3x Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions @ 5V
D5 vario pump (@ min setting)
AMD 6870 Twin Frozr 3 Hawk, only factory OC

1. So my question is, what is the best bang for buck universal GPU block I can throw on there? This one?

2. Are there any concerns with a non-full-cover block like VRM's or VRAM? It looks like the twin frozr ii actually has a bracket that goes over all of these components and so long as it gets a little bit of airflow and they're not overclocked they're fine.

3. Because I'm going for silence, I don't really have a lot of airflow in my case. Does this raise any concern for a non-full-cover block on my GPU?

You need a heatsink on the VRM's of most cards. You cannot run them bare. Even with good airflow across the card, running them bare has always caused VRM overheating for me.

You may be able to modify the stock cooler to cool the rest of the card, but don't bank on it.

This appears to be my PCB with bracket. It looks like it covers the VRAM but not the VRMs. What are my options?

ACC_2927.jpg

^^I believe it is covering the VRM's. They would be to the right of those rectangular boxes, which are chokes IIRC, not the VRM's themselves.

Ah, you're probably right. I'm probably confusing them.

So do you think this would be sufficient cooling for them, with minimal airflow? Should I back the card off to factory clocks (i.e. not MSI's OC)?

park a fan in there next to it and keep an eye on temps, should work

Back