What Facebook Could Look Like On Oculus Rift

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously, videos like this just make this whole Facebook - Rift thing worse. The good news is that it's still not too late for the company to tell us this was an April Fool's joke.

This coming April 1st there will be an announcement by former president of Oculus Rift + Mark Zuckerbeg + Notch that the purchase of Oculus Rift has been reversed, Oculus Rift keeps the 2 billion dollars, and Minecraft will implement support for Oculus Rift. :D

you don't need the OR to create that experience.. FPS's have been doing that forever minus the head gear and the hand waving.

wait.. facebook as an FPS might actually be fun.. aside from the stalkers to who stalk you.. it would be like a 2nd life on steroids.

I see. So we went from reading article entries like "two people pilot a massive airship through a exotic world of floating islands"
to
"where he picks a designer bag off the shelf"
Awesome...

you don't need the OR to create that experience.. FPS's have been doing that forever minus the head gear and the hand waving.

wait.. facebook as an FPS might actually be fun.. aside from the stalkers to who stalk you.. it would be like a 2nd life on steroids.

Well, the idea of VR is not just 3D effects, but more importantly it allows you to control the look direction with your head's movement.

That way, your hands can be used to interface with the environment (eg. flight instruments in an aircraft's cockpit) while your head controls where you're looking at. Here, the guy could be handling the virtual handbag with his hands while he looks around with his head movement.

Of course I would rather see VR headsets being develop for gaming and simulators than handbag shopping, but who knows what FB have in mind.

I loved the 3D handbag and the 2D girlfriend.

Could you have virtual sex?

What a waste of technology.

I love how Facebook is social networking. But you see people all the time on Facebook being anti-social... I don't know how this whole buyout is going to end up, but the one thing I know for certain is I will never buy one.

I really thought this video was going to be a humorous poke at Facebook. It wasn't. Sorry, Mark and company, no one is going to spend $300 or even $200 on this to walk around and shop. And at a lower price point, in hopes of selling this to the masses, what kind of stripped down check plastic chinese experience will we get?

The reason the internet .. LOVED this, past tense ... was all because of the gamers.

A $300 headset for families to wear and walk around Facebook ... virtually .... really?

There will be no need for cuting edge low latency hardware in Oculus to do this sort of thing, so if this is their proposed usage scenario they are going to produce something that will be of no use for gaming, if it was more expensive and better speced for gaming then joe public would not buy it for virtual shopping ....I've been holding back on buying a new monitor waiting for Oculus....I will not buy one now...for this reason plus I hate social media...PS4 and project morpheus will have my money now....to cap it all its been highlighted over at NGOHQ that good old "Lucky" was originally on record as saying he would not sell the company and would not make any profit out of it. Well what a lying cheat he has proven to be...people paid money on the basis of what he said publicly on record...my opinion... that is fraud.

reminds me of how "cyber space" was imagined in the 80s

Kind of made me think of something I looked at back in the early 2000s.

you went to a web site and instead of getting a web page you got a 3d "world" that you would walk around in and interact with various parts of the "site". There was able a social aspect to it where you could see where others were on the page and even all stand in the lobby area and talk with each other. I only recall looking at a few sites using that. Thought it was an interesting idea but not something to take off. Again was one of those, in 5 - 10 years this is how every site will be. the day of clicking on links will be gone. instead you will interact with 3D words instead.

That was a truly horrible video...:D Ugh! Of course it was all a completely phony, highly edited clip meant simply to "illustrate" stuff you can do with the Diving Mask, but it still reeked of very old-fashioned ideas about VR as it was envisioned ten to fifteen years ago! I didn't see anything he did that couldn't be done better and faster and *easier* with a mouse-driven interface. As he couldn't even see his hand, how did the guy even know which button to push? And did you see how tiny the FaceBook page was on his monitor? The guy didn't even know how to set up his screen resolution...good grief...:/ I hate to say it, but the clip has Carmack's old-as-the-hills-but-twice-as-dusty fingerprints all over it. That's some really corny stuff.

What a bargain for a mere $2B of FB stockholder money. They should be overjoyed, I'm sure.

I loved the 3D handbag and the 2D girlfriend.

Could you have virtual sex?

What a waste of technology.

Augmented reality is the way to go. Make your girlfriend appear anyway you want her to look.

This is more like it.

xbmzqYp.gif

Even with a concept like this.... you need extremely high photo resolutions, and until it is paired with 4k screens in the rift, I dont see how I could be tempted into this.

I am not that fond of Google as a company anymore, but i really despise Facebook, as the company creeps me totally out whit what they do would with my data, if i still had a Facebook account.

As this would properly be the dream of how FB see the future:
http://vimeo.com/8569187

So WTF ware they thinking at Oculus, when they soled out there Kickstart backers!

And i am thinking, i am not the only one!

Were having fun now dudes!

Nothin like spending my weekends ordering shit I don't need!

YAY! :mad:

Fuck you Mark.

While I am not happy that Oculus jumped the shark by getting in bed with Facebook, I will wait to see what comes of it when commercial. They just swiped Valve's VR manager and Carmack is still there (who I don't respect in any way with his recent efforts - but is still one of the godfathers of FPS/3D gaming). You never know, maybe they will focus on gaming, create some amazing experiences, get the device in all our hands, and then BOOM - advertisements everywhere and a $100 version of the set for Facebook users!

That said - I have definitely shifted my interests from Oculus to Project Morpheus when it comes to VR.

Wow, it's like they made something fast and efficient slow and stupid! Just like PlayStation Home!

P.S. In my opinion selling a handbag for $199.99 is highway robbery. That whole industry is a scam.

Wow, it's like they made something fast and efficient slow and stupid! Just like PlayStation Home!

P.S. In my opinion selling a handbag for $199.99 is highway robbery. That whole industry is a scam.
/totally offtopic: as the film was not about prizes of products but the plans FB has whit the Rift

There are people that also buy some over prized Apple product, i am pretty sure that handbag will last a lot longer, just as my 300 euro shoes.

Quality has its prize, and yes the margins are higher, but often they still out last 4 product that cost a quarter a piece.

Hate to go there, but why? Cause you can't afford it? My wife has many purses more expensive than $199, and they hold up much better (as well as have much more style) than the discount garbage. It's no different than buying a quality pair of jeans, a nice suit, or a decent watch. Some people don't want to go into public wearing a CoD or WoW t-shirt... just saying...

Facebook buying Oculus was a death sentence for their product.

Back