Dead Space For Free

Is this a reward for not voting them the worst company of the year this year? :D

If you haven't played it, what is wrong with you?

As evil as EA is, a number of recent gaming purchases have been published by them.

Just two things:

1) This is an awesome game.....even better for free!

2) I think this is NVidia specific.....but when you play this game, make sure you enable VSync or adaptive VSync, or the body pieces parts take on a life of their own!!

Get this game, and DS2 and DS3, all very much worth it.:D

Master [H];1040727998 said:
If you haven't played it, what is wrong with you?

As evil as EA is, a number of recent gaming purchases have been published by them.

Completely joking.

I have the first two on Steam, so I don't even need Origin though. In fact, if you search back to the thread for it, I'm sure you'll see my posts advocating it when others were putting it down for this or that reason. I absolutely LOVE the first one. The second one was cool, but didn't have the same Alien/Event Horizon/etc. sort of feel to me. It was more along the lines of Aliens where it was all action and bombardment. Still cool, but the first one had a bit more of the System Shock(ish) feel to it. Never tried the third one.

Edit: and Magoo is correct. Definitely force VSync in the control panel. Not the game.

You can get it for like 50 cents on steam. Check the master trading thread on cheapass gamer. 50 cent premium to get a steam copy is probably worth it.

I would say so. However, now that I think about it... Did they require you to sign in with an EA account pre-Origin for the older ones? I know some of the Need for Speed games did. You didn't have to for Mirror's Edge though. Just can't remember off the top. If so, then you probably would have to sign in to Origin now anyway. Hopefully not though. Just thinking out loud.

I already have this on Steam, but why not. Looks like their servers are getting hammered because Origin won't send the authentication e-mail to me. They seem to require you to authenticate if you don't login for something like 5 days, it's flippin' annoying.

i dont get why origin is considered worse than steam.

When Origin first came out, the client was super buggy.

It is pretty good now.

The only thing I don't like is it is not as easy to launch games and instead of a list like steam, you have cover pics of every game you have to scroll through. Can this be changed? I never even tried to see if it is possible.

Lots of reasons. People liked having all of their games in one place. You have to trust a company to give them money in exchange for a digital product distributed online because they can take it away just as easily as they delivered it to you. Valve earned that trust, EA's foray into digital distribution stinks of greed, and ther reputation hasn't earned them that trust. So now when EA puts out a game you want, you can no longer get it on steam, your digital distribution platform of choice. And since your platform of choice is steam, you have to load up their crapware just to play a handful of games.

There's no way I'm getting an Origin account, and I don't buy games (no matter what platform/developer) that are published by EA.

They need to quit ruining everything.

It is pretty good now.

The only thing I don't like is it is not as easy to launch games and instead of a list like steam, you have cover pics of every game you have to scroll through. Can this be changed? I never even tried to see if it is possible.

So does big screen for steam. you have to scroll through game covers.

As stated by others, valve has earned by trust where as EA has done everything to destroy my trust. Needless to say, I don't care what games they put up for free on their online store, there is no way I'm going to sign up with them. Besides, I already have Dead Space 1 and 2 on Steam.

This is probably the best of the 3 imo.
Just finished 3 the other day, finally went on sale for 5 or 6 bucks.
If you liked the Movie Event Horizon, then this is the game for you.
Great story, visuals and the voice acting is pretty good too.
When i play games like these, i usually put them on easy, so i can enjoy the graphics and story without having to repeat the same boss scene 5 times to get the sequence right. It takes you out of the story when you have to replay the same scene over. But thats just me.
Its definitely a great game and FREE is just plain awesome!

Lots of reasons. People liked having all of their games in one place. You have to trust a company to give them money in exchange for a digital product distributed online because they can take it away just as easily as they delivered it to you. Valve earned that trust, EA's foray into digital distribution stinks of greed, and ther reputation hasn't earned them that trust. So now when EA puts out a game you want, you can no longer get it on steam, your digital distribution platform of choice. And since your platform of choice is steam, you have to load up their crapware just to play a handful of games.

Agree. A few years back the talk of the town was console taking over pc gaming due to piracy then came steam. EA and was happy just to sell a single player pc game due to pirates. Steam took off EA suits say F Steam I don't care if they saved pc gaming I wan't more money. Wait and on top of that you cant even import your steam friends. So F origin. I say all of this and still own bf3 and bf4 guess they win?

Steam makes it easy to back up and restore games to avoid re-downloading, with Origin you have to do it manually.

I wish Gamer'sGate was more popular. With GG you don't have to install anything, each game has a downloader/installer. You can backup the installer and download cache easily. They give you reward points for each purchase, too.

Steam makes it easy to back up and restore games to avoid re-downloading, with Origin you have to do it manually.

I wish Gamer'sGate was more popular. With GG you don't have to install anything, each game has a downloader/installer. You can backup the installer and download cache easily. They give you reward points for each purchase, too.
there are benefits and drawbacks to both

One thing I am quite fond of is DLC management in origin, which is leagues better than steams. Half the time steam doesnt even download the DLC until I restart the application, whereas origin you can individually manage each DLCs download and install

there are benefits and drawbacks to both

One thing I am quite fond of is DLC management in origin, which is leagues better than steams. Half the time steam doesnt even download the DLC until I restart the application, whereas origin you can individually manage each DLCs download and install
This! But overall it seems Origin is more about aesthetic than functionality. Steam definitely prefers function over form and I appreciate that, but there needs to be a better way of managing your DLC without having to go back and forth between your Library and the Store.

It is pretty good now.

It is pretty good as a content delivery platform now. It is actually less obtrusive than Steam nowadays in my opinion and uses around 1/10 the memory.

I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure you can change it to a list of collapsed "bubbles" (i.e. not text, still using the GUI style). I'll have to check after work. I do know that there is a slider at the top-right that can shrink the size of the covers. Maybe sliding it all the way to the left changes it to the list I mentioned above.

For people missing out on this game just because of Origin, I would strongly recommend you give it a go. Yeah, EA sucks, so why not take a game from them for free?

Dead Space on a Eyefinity or surround setup is really, really awesome. Play it on hard, the while way through with nothing but the plasma cutter. Best way to experience this game, imo

Thank you Steve, I just went ahead and added it to my Origin account. Just another game in my backlog that I will probably not play for a while. :D Right now, I am playing the main quest in Oblivion on my Xbox 360.

For people missing out on this game just because of Origin, I would strongly recommend you give it a go. Yeah, EA sucks, so why not take a game from them for free?

Dead Space on a Eyefinity or surround setup is really, really awesome. Play it on hard, the while way through with nothing but the plasma cutter. Best way to experience this game, imo

Even if you take it for free your still a pawn for exposing yourself to origin ads.

Even if you take it for free your still a pawn for exposing yourself to origin ads.
A content delivery program advertising its own services and products? Colour me shocked :rolleyes:. You know you can opt out of both third-party and first-party advertising as required by law, right?

Does it still have the crappy control interface where you can't assign the mouse to specific functions? Seems like a keyboard controlled game to me. I like my forward on the right mouse button, I don't think you can do it with this game.

I'll just grab it on torrent if it's around. It's free now, so there you go.

First game is by far the best. Give it a go, Origin is no big deal. TBH I've bought and used more games on Origin than Steam for quite some time now.

for like 5 minutes.

I can't set the keys to what I actually use; I use the arrow keys and left hand mouse for all pc games.

I've had the same key setup since duke and quake came out; I'm not changing now, lol.

Sine Crysis Wars, I now have every key around the arrow keys assigned to something, and most of the rest. :)

I still say the best game ever is Quake2:Ground Zero; we play with 1 "give all" per death, that keeps it moving. :)

As opposed to Steam ads and popups..and oh complete tracking of everything you do including your config/hardware and time played..

I love the internet...

You get this for free!

Internet: "screw you! This an outrage!"

As opposed to Steam ads and popups..and oh complete tracking of everything you do including your config/hardware and time played..

The only place i have ever seen ads on steam is when i go to the store page.
Are you considering the price listings to be ads?

The only popups ive ever got are when friends communicate with me.
Are these the popups you are talkng about?

/someone who has bought things on steam, therefore i dont know about what steam shows to people who have never bought things on steam.

The only place i have ever seen ads on steam is when i go to the store page.
Are you considering the price listings to be ads?

The only popups ive ever got are when friends communicate with me.
Are these the popups you are talkng about?

/someone who has bought things on steam, therefore i dont know about what steam shows to people who have never bought things on steam.

You don't get popups after exiting a game?

Back