Oculus Hopes To Win Back Notch Support

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oculus hopes to win back the support of Markus Persson? Umm, good luck with that. I guess Facebook could always buy Mojang to get his support. :rolleyes:

"Every developer we are working with has had a very positive reaction. My inbox is flooded by email. A huge number of developers. Some people are upset. But the vast majority who are actually software developers see why this is a good thing. "Notch is an exception to the rule," Luckey concluded. "After he sees everything we are able to do, I hope he will change his mind."

I dunno about that, I think Notch has already expressed that he has more money than he knows what to do with.

Do what all the other people with more money than they know what to do with do: use it to get more money.

So let me get this straight... he's going to screw his loyal users out of a chance to use an extremely new technology because he has his panties in a twist over the parent company? What, exactly, has facebook ever done to him?

What a self-important douchebag.

Now I'm really sorry I bought 8 copies of his game; even worse is that I find the game so incredibly boring that I don't even play it. At least the other people I bought it for got some use out of it.

Notch 'canceling' Minecraft Oculus edition was just him being a blowhard as usual. That project never even really began. Notch had the Rift for a year and never got around to trying the Minecraft Oculus mod and the project never went anywhere.

He's kind of a flaky developer, hopping from hobby project to hobby project. He doesn't really have a direction in mind for Mojang and he's happy to let everyone else run things.

So let me get this straight... he's going to screw his loyal users out of a chance to use an extremely new technology because he has his panties in a twist over the parent company? What, exactly, has facebook ever done to him?

Now I'm really sorry I bought 8 copies of his game; even worse is that I find the game so incredibly boring that I don't even play it. At least the other people I bought it for got some use out of it.

It doesn't matter what Facebook has or hasn't done to him. He doesn't want to invest his time and talent with a company like Facebook. We have every right to boycott products and services we don't like.

I'm sorry he didn't bring the game to one platform you were hoping for (even though you find the gaming boring).

Why don't they just throw some money at em, seemed to work fine before.....

his game, his call

He's a man who puts principle ahead of sheer profit. I kind of like that.

Yeah! Fuck anyone with principles! Selling your vision for $$$ like a whore is what we should all aspire to be, amirite?

It doesn't matter what Facebook has or hasn't done to him. He doesn't want to invest his time and talent with a company like Facebook. We have every right to boycott products and services we don't like.

I'm sorry he didn't bring the game to one platform you were hoping for (even though you find the gaming boring).

+1 :eek:

I dunno about that, I think Notch has already expressed that he has more money than he knows what to do with.

But does Notch have his own island full of sex slaves? Facebook can fulfill your wildest debauchery Notch. ;) ;)

IMG_4516med.jpg

The mod scene would do a better job of adding support then he could ever do anyway.

While I hate notch, as a developer I disagree with this. We've halted development on our oculus software until we see where this goes but in general, we don't think this will end well.

Here is his reasons. He thinks VR is the future and does want to be involved with it. Just not facebook.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/03/26/why-notch-thinks-facebook-is-creepy

Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts. Facebook is not a game tech company. Facebook has a history of caring about building user numbers, and nothing but building user numbers. People have made games for Facebook platforms before, and while it worked great for a while, they were stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build.

Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?

But I don’t want to work with social, I want to work with games

Notch added that he "definitely" still wants to be a part of VR, but refuses to work with Facebook. He claims their motives are "too unclear and shifting, and they haven't historically been a stable platform."

"There's nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me," he said. Before closing out the post, Notch added "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

So from how it sounds. It is about principle. He doesn't like the idea of Oculus becoming a facebook platform and moving away from what it started as.

I can understand that. I was confused myself as to why facebook bought out the company and what they were planning on doing to it. I don't think any of us here really trust facebook, so don't know why people are giving a developer shit about not trusting them.

While I hate notch, as a developer I disagree with this. We've halted development on our oculus software until we see where this goes but in general, we don't think this will end well.

So you are of the same mindset as him.

They need him more than he needs them, and he knows it.

some people like facebook, some people disagree with facebooks entire business model and strategy and want nothing more than to see that conglomerate of shit go down in flames before sucking up any more promising start-ups.

but, if you aren't one of those people who even thinks about such things, just go check your status updates see if any of your friends have commented on your pics. wouldn't want to miss any of your friends' daughters' schoolmates' cats doing something fun.

you bought 8 copies of a game you dont like.... whos the douchebag now?

It doesn't seem like it is a matter of principle from what has been posted of Notch's reasons. It seems to be a business decision.

Facebook has a track record of screwing developers when it suits them. If they cared about developers, they'd have a stable platform. Notch believes this same attitude will be continued on the Oculus in time. This isn't a matter of principle. Part of running a business is trying to guess what everyone else is doing. Choosing whether to stick with an unreliable partner is a business decision, and Facebook has proven to be unreliable. He's decided not to.

If it was just a gut reaction, I'd say it was a bad move. But seeing how he's justifying it, I think he's being reasonable. Sure, there are personal feelings involved as well. But if you don't like someone, and you don't trust them either, you really have no reason to do business with them.

some people like facebook, some people disagree with facebooks entire business model and strategy and want nothing more than to see that conglomerate of shit go down in flames before sucking up any more promising start-ups.

but, if you aren't one of those people who even thinks about such things, just go check your status updates see if any of your friends have commented on your pics. wouldn't want to miss any of your friends' daughters' schoolmates' cats doing something fun.

you bought 8 copies of a game you dont like.... whos the douchebag now?

+1 and +1.

Anyone ever see that episode of STTNG: The Game, where everyone on the ship is playing this mindless, addictive game while wearing a virtual reality headset and trying to get everyone else onboard to try it? Just replace that game in Star Trek with Facebook Oculus and Minecraft and you have the same plot. Only difference here is that Data won't be around to save the mindless idiots in real life. Haha.

Don't forget, he don't want his game on Steam!!! :eek:

STTNG: The Game, where everyone on the ship is playing this mindless, addictive game

Best. Thread. Response. Evar
-Great Episode and was just on BBC last weekend ;-)

Markus Persson said:
Every developer we are working with that will work with a company as aspiringly evil as ushas had a very positive reaction.

there we go, fixed it for ya Mark :rolleyes:

It really is "every developer they are still working with.". The ones that decided Flakebook was too flaky are no longer working with them. Soooo.............................

It doesn't seem like it is a matter of principle from what has been posted of Notch's reasons. It seems to be a business decision.

Facebook has a track record of screwing developers when it suits them. If they cared about developers, they'd have a stable platform. Notch believes this same attitude will be continued on the Oculus in time. This isn't a matter of principle. Part of running a business is trying to guess what everyone else is doing. Choosing whether to stick with an unreliable partner is a business decision, and Facebook has proven to be unreliable. He's decided not to.

If it was just a gut reaction, I'd say it was a bad move. But seeing how he's justifying it, I think he's being reasonable. Sure, there are personal feelings involved as well. But if you don't like someone, and you don't trust them either, you really have no reason to do business with them.

Good point.

There are going to be other VR headsets. No reason to be Facebook's b****, at least not without a bid payday.

Good point.

There are going to be other VR headsets. No reason to be Facebook's b****, at least not without a bid payday.

As said before not everyone cares about the payday. you want to make sure you are investing time an energy in a stable platform. It is one thing to make a simple web app and have it not work anymore because somebody changed that way everything works and you have to remade it. You know about the change in advance and can spent the few days to a week rescripting it.

It is another to make something on the scale of a multi million game engine or game, spend years on the project and then right before you complete the project have one of the core APIs suddenly change because somebody decided it was time for change and you have months of man power and hundreds of thousands of $$ out the window making you go back to redo part of the project, meaning more time and money.

And of course that might not happen. Problem is that facebook hasn't shown that side though of being reasonable about anything. Just like how Google wanted all the medical data for everyone in the world to be stored on their servers. they promised they would keep it secure and not use it for anything wrong. Maybe they are telling the truth, but with their track record I wouldn't want them storing all my medical and insurance information. Same here, maybe Facebook really did just trying to invest in a company they saw being able to do great things and wanted to give them plenty of money to get it done. And have no desire to interfere with the company in any way, shape or form but instead will let them continue to run as their own piece doing what they want how they want. But we don't have experience showing them being that kind of company so nobody will believe it.

Notch is weird. He would never put MC on steam for whatever reason he hates valve. Then he turns around and sells out to MS with XBL in a split second. Then he talks the wonder of Occulus, finds out they are now with facebook and hates facebook. But really what has any of these companies done negatively for minecraft?

Notch will screw up, he has a great IP with minecraft which he could build into an iconic game. But he is just sitting on it screwing around while others copy the format and move forward. Sooner or later one of them is going to topple mine craft. Just like COD did to CS.

Notch will screw up, he has a great IP with minecraft which he could build into an iconic game. But he is just sitting on it screwing around while others copy the format and move forward. Sooner or later one of them is going to topple mine craft. Just like COD did to CS.

This made me think of Sun Microsystems.... 'Sat back like rulers of the world, didn't significantly speed up their 'in house' Sparc processors, ended up going going belly up, only to be bought by Oracle'..... (all this while X86/64 Linux 'Took over the world''....

Notch is weird. He would never put MC on steam for whatever reason he hates valve. Then he turns around and sells out to MS with XBL in a split second. Then he talks the wonder of Occulus, finds out they are now with facebook and hates facebook. But really what has any of these companies done negatively for minecraft?

Can you blame him? Why put your massive selling game on Steam when you have to give a cut to Valve? And he's been hosting it himself for years now all while making a lot more money. He doesn't hate Valve he hates Greenlight because it's become a huge mess and Valve blanket approves any game that gets added and its causing a mini 1982 Atari like crash for indie games in general but providing so much choice that people just get frustrated and give up trying to find the gem buried in the garbage.

Notch is an odd guy no question. He has strong opinions but he has a lot to protect now that Minecraft has made such a massive impact in the gaming world and the non-gaming world. When your game is being used as a teaching tool in school when it was created merely as a sandbox for gamers , you have to consider the long term viability of the company you've built around it. The pressure on him to make another hit like Minecraft is just massive. Minecraft is basically the modern day "Tetris" except that Notch is making money by the bucket load and Alexey Pajitnov didn't make shit because the Communist Soviet government take the entirety of his income from making Tetris. Not to mention everyone (and I do mean everyone) stole Tetris and made their own version of it.

Facebook treats developers like shit because they have tons of money and power now in the form of information. They have a user base that has over 1.25 billion users , that's beyond comprehension in everyday terms. Seeing them buy up a very hot and anticipated technology like Oculus is worrying. Facebook can issue whatever bullshit PR statement they want for now but the reality is that sometime down the line they will reveal their true intentions and either shit all over Oculus and strip mine it for patents or they will allow it to operate in an individual fashion (unlikely..).

Indie developers with the kind of money and influence Notch has should avoid big corporations like Facebook at their own peril frankly. Companies like Facebook are looking to buy up all the data they can afford and probably patents as well. I mean the fuck did Facebook spend over $10 billion on "Whatsapp"??? For the data mined from the user base.

He "could" build it into an iconic game? Lmfao. I'm pretty sure that's already happened.

He's an idealist, more money that he can spend in 100 lifetimes, he can do what he wants at this point. He went into detail about what he didn't like about Facebook - specifically that he watched game developers invest in FB as a platform, sink time and resources, only for FB to pull the rug out when they decided to change course toward a different "vision" going forward. Theres precedent for doubting FB as a platform for third party developers to stake a business on.

they would win me over by giving us a discount from 1$ to whatever for kickstarter backers. Even if they bought each person who donated a headest they would come out ahead.

it would be one of the best publicity stunts ever:
10,000 x 350 = $3,500,000

THAT IS POCKET CHANGE NOW!!!

Different platform that is why. Steam is on the PC. they already are doing well on the pc so they don't need to give money to Steam as it won't help them. Only way to have a game on a console is to go through that company so they outsourced to 4J to have them make a watered down port for the Xbox 360 and now the PS3 going through XBL and PSN.

Back