Notch Says 'Facebook Creeps Me Out'

Well, despite the people who oogle over minecraft, I don't actually care much about Markus Persson. That being said, I don't think I'm creeped out at Facebook, I just don't understand what their business objectives are, and why shareholders are tolerating such idiocy as $19bn to buy an app. Sure, the excuse was that they can use the tech to penetrate foreign markets more, but they fail to pave out how that will happen via what's app users...
/$0.02

However, Facebook buying Oculus Rift doesn't necessarily mean that they intend to change the core objectives of OR prior to their acquisition. Some of the purchase encompasses performance-based metrics for meeting certain (unnamed) achievements. For most acquisitions, that generally implies pursuing the pre-purchase business objectives and meeting them. Implying that perhaps the overall goal of OR is still going to be the same.

Anyhoo, all of these nay-sayers, just wait until the dust settles to see what the goals are. Maybe your precious VR tech is not going to be any different, and FB just wants a more diverse portfolio of technologies at their disposal.

I don't like Facebook OR Minecraft, but I respect indie developers more than bigtime sellouts who only care about stock prices.

In any case, I wasn't sure if I was going to buy an OR, but I definitely won't if it's owned by Facebook. Maybe I'll buy a competitor at some point.

He is creeped out by it now. All Zuckerburg will have to do is right a big enough check and he'll be on board.

He is creeped out by it now. All Zuckerburg will have to do is right a big enough check and he'll be on board.

I don believe that most people have a price, but if you look at what Notch has done to date, he seems pretty well set on what he will do to align with his beliefs, verses what he will do for a paycheck.

I don believe that most people have a price, but if you look at what Notch has done to date, he seems pretty well set on what he will do to align with his beliefs, verses what he will do for a paycheck.

Everyone has a price..the ones who claim they don't are just dishonest because they have never been presented with outright cash. Anyone can say "I can't be bought" when "REAL" money isn't on the table.

Everyone has a price..the ones who claim they don't are just dishonest because they have never been presented with outright cash. Anyone can say "I can't be bought" when "REAL" money isn't on the table.

It's much easier to not have a price when you have made a giant pile of cash already. Notch has. Saying no isn't that hard if the alternative is do whatever you feel like.

Kudos to a dev who has backbone AND principle to stand up to the social networking Twits.

Occulus sold out to FAILBOOK!?!? Damn you Palmer! Now I'm definitely glad I never ordered a prototype to code for. I had thought about Occulus support in my own project. Now, forget it. I won't have anything to do with that... that... oh, forget it. It won't translate properly into English. :mad:

It's much easier to not have a price when you have made a giant pile of cash already. Notch has. Saying no isn't that hard if the alternative is do whatever you feel like.

There is no such thing as "enough" cash.

There is no such thing as "enough" cash.

While I don't agree with you, there is such thing as enough cash, I do think that everyone has a number at which they would back down in a situation like this one. It isn't like Notch thinks Facebook is evil, he just doesn't like Facebook, so there is certainly a number at which he will change his mind.

That being said, I think his number is probably 10 times greater than the highest amount that would make it worth doing for Facebook, and so he won't come close to backing down on this.

Back