New Android Bug Causes “Bricked” Devices

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that haven't seen this yet, there is a new vulnerability out there that can brick your Android device. There seems to be a bit of debate over the term "bricked" so I'll just clarify the situation by saying you're "screwed" if it happens to you. ;)

We recently read about an Android system crash vulnerability affecting Google’s Bouncer™ infrastructure, one that, alarmingly, also affects mobile devices with Android OS versions 4.0 and above. We believe that this vulnerability may be used by cybercriminals to do some substantial damage on Android smartphones and tablets. The device is stuck in an endless reboot loop, or a bootloop. This can render the device unusable, which some may consider “bricking” it.

As long as I can get into the bootloader (or even better into recovery), it's not a brick

i wouldn't consider a bootloop bricked. You just have to flash your rom again or a factory reset would also probably fix it.

Yikes. Android users should back up often

And the misuse of the term 'bricked' irritates me. If it can be recovered with a restore, then it's not bricked (just really inconvenient)

I'd use MPL-PSK instead. (Modified Pig Latin with PreShared Key...) It's a little more secure. :cool:

I'd use MPL-PSK instead. (Modified Pig Latin with PreShared Key...) It's a little more secure. :cool:

Sorry the MPL team ended up having half-a-dozen NSA staffers on it...and the PSK generator uses a random number generator guaranteed by the NSA to actually be "random".

Sorry the MPL team ended up having half-a-dozen NSA staffers on it...and the PSK generator uses a random number generator guaranteed by the NSA to actually be "random".

Shit...

Attention whoring advertisement. Boot loop is not bricked plus this is a non-issue if you get apps from reputable sources like Google Play.

OK so someone thats capable of finding out such a complex issue is dumb enough to tell everyone about it? Great way of thinking there. Why not just go through the correct channels to developers (or whatever teh smart programing kids do) and get it fixed as silently as possible?

Oh thats right... coz jumping up and down and acting like a love child of a Salesman and a Marketing Team is just the 'in' thing now. lol

So this basically makes your phone a Windows 98 machine after a failed update? Sweet

Sigh

Why don't people get it? If your phone boots and at all it's not bricked!

Brick means your phone does NOTHING when you push the power you get not logo and just a blank screen and nothing happens.

Endless boot looping is a soft-brick, using the manufacturer firmware recovery tools can restore functionality if you can't or can get into the bootloader. A hard brick is when you absolutely fuck it up erasing the internal bootloader and everything else or a flash conflict which leaves an unresponsive phone with a black screen.

Back