ASUS ROG POSEIDON GTX 780 Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS ROG POSEIDON GTX 780 Video Card Review - The new ASUS ROG POSEIDON GTX 780 launches today! We have a full evaluation today of this new hybrid air and liquid cooled video card. Will liquid cooling take the GeForce GTX 780 to performance that rivals the GTX 780 Ti and AMD R9 290X? We've got the full scoop on this unique video card.

Nice review and impressive 780. Overclocked results are great. It beets 290x in BF4 with Mantle and that is big in my eyes. To expensive but most of the 780s can go over 1200mhz on air and be near this for much less..

Gold? call it any color you want but most people who have had to use Asus RMA with Video cards are going to label it as a brown for big ol turd for a "warranty"

Last edited:
Gold? call it any color you want buy most people who have had to use Asus RMA with Video cards are going to label it as a brown for big ol turd for a "warranty"

Agreed, it doesn't matter how good of a review anything ASUS gets I am still not buying it. If someone has seen some good changes recently to their RMA's with them I would reconsider.

Awesome review.

It would be interesting to see the difference between this approach to water cooling vs. a traditional water block on the same card.

Come on [H], rip out that ASUS WC setup and try it with a traditional block :p

Hmmm cool idea, but wouldn't it just be better to get a Lightning or Classy? A lot of those cards can hit 1300mhz on air, so you'd be looking at the same performance as this ROG Poseidon and more money in your pocket.

I would like to see an article on the Koolance setup. A [H]ow to Guide for us that are still scared to get wet. I like the performance numbers that you'll were able to get out of the card. Since Nvidia has a "Mantle" driver coming soon I wonder will you get even more performance out of it when that drops. Or has it hit a plateau with water cooling. When that driver comes out if [H]ardocp could run it through some basic benchmarks at the same overclock and compare performance I would be really interested.

Thanks again for another great review for me to reference to my buddies. ;)

Hmmm cool idea, but wouldn't it just be better to get a Lightning or Classy? A lot of those cards can hit 1300mhz on air, so you'd be looking at the same performance as this ROG Poseidon and more money in your pocket.

But this card is basically silent when overclocked and that would make all the difference in the world to some people.

I really like the idea of the card. I have water cooled every video card I have owned since the 8800 GTX. This makes it nice that I don't have to order a block and take the video card apart to add the block. Then when I go to sell the card I don't have to worrie about selling it to some one that wants to water cool or some one that only wants to air cool and I have to sell of the custom block to some one else. I think it's a great idea. I would buy one if I was in the market for a new card.

Lovely card I really want one. However in the UK it makes no sense to buy this card @ best price £455 vs a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti @ best price £480.

Gold? call it any color you want but most people who have had to use Asus RMA with Video cards are going to label it as a brown for big ol turd for a "warranty"

Pretty much this. ASUS is blacklisted by me unless they do an about face with their RMA department.
They will have to have awesome customer service/RMA service for at least 1-2 years before I will even consider buying any product of theirs.

Lovely card I really want one. However in the UK it makes no sense to buy this card @ best price £455 vs a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti @ best price £480.

Why not? It is cheaper and faster. So why not? Assuming you would use water on it off course. :p

Why not? It is cheaper and faster. So why not? Assuming you would use water on it off course. :p

That extra cash would put you over the price of the 780Ti, & the 780Ti was not overclocked in any of these reviews. Tit for tat I guess?

This review piqued my interest in the GTX 780 /780 Ti range again. I hadn't noticed that prices have been falling (well at least for Gigabyte).

The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x "GHz Edition" @ £384 might be the best choice as it gets good reviews for o/c and quietness.

Which ever way I look at it the ROG Poseidon is between a rock and a hard place. £70 more than the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x "GHz Edition" and £25 less than Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti Windforce 3x. And both these Gigabyte boards have a higher default clock speed.

Last edited:
Great review, especially since it contains a list of the products used to liquid cool the card, it's too bad the Poseidon is so over priced here (Canada) @660$ vs. 700$ for a Zotac AMP Ti.

Last edited:
Add me in as another that would never buy an ASUS product again. Had similar returns with both MSI and ASUS last year and to make a long story short - MSI fixed my issue for $40 on a $400-value board and ASUS charged me $120 on a $200-value board. This was after working with "Mark Nye" the dude at NewEgg that trolls reviews and offers to "fix" issues. The best he did was give me a few bucks off. Their policies are atrocious. Flat fee charge for RMA if they have to even look at it (and you admit fault, which I did).

Go have fun with an MSI GTX 780 Lightning - about $500 on eBay. Much better card and much better warranty/RMA service if you need it.

Dear ASUS, please stop being crap with RMA warranty support. ASUS builds wonderful products. people do not trust you to be there if something goes wrong! hell answer a damn phone.

Why are the water ports running perpendicular to the motherboard? Every other water cooled video card has the connections pointing parallel to the motherboard (up towards the CPU and down towards the bottom of the motherboard).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600029797&IsNodeId=1&name=Water%20Cooler

It doesn't look like it comes with any elbows to redirect water (which would impede water flow) and who is going to run it outside of their computer case like HardOCP did in their review?

Back