CPU: Intel3770K mildly OC'd at 4.1GHz
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 840 256G & 128G
Cooler: Thermalright AXP100 with Prolimatech Ultra sleek 140 PWM
Case fans: 2x Noiseblocker 80mm PWM

Edit to add PSU info:
Dell 330W 19V power brick
Z3-ATX-200 200W(240W peak) wide input 16-24V PSU by picoATX

EDIT: Needed to add a low noise adapter to the Noiseblockers, box is dead quiet now.

The size difference, just about the same height

Trimmed the PSU cord, fans installed

Mobo transferred

Drives and fans connected

Time to power this little beast up!

Got a bunch of my desk back!

Had to loosen the bottom screws to get the TV card in, catching some March Madness

Last edited:
Suh-weet rig!!! Also, I didn't realise a 140mm fan could be mounted on the AXP-100, very cool!!!

cute, great job! you can ditch those noiseblockers though, theres plenty of positive pressure cooling powah by that 140mm fan for the entire rig.

Looks awesome. Super clean!

Nice work Stevo_!

Suh-weet rig!!! Also, I didn't realise a 140mm fan could be mounted on the AXP-100, very cool!!!

Thanks! A 140 will work as long as it has the 120 holes, Thermaltake shows it as an option with their 140 but it was too thick.

What are those brackets that you have holding the case in place?

Those are these anti-tip stands in the link, looks like they raised the price. This is about the narrowest case they'll fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-EXPANDABLE-ANTI-TIP-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-CPU-TOWER-STANDS-PEDESTAL-FEET-/161138733776?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item25849df2d0

cute, great job! you can ditch those noiseblockers though, theres plenty of positive pressure cooling powah by that 140mm fan for the entire rig.

Thanks, but actually you can't ditch the Noiseblockers as the 140mm fan is covered so there's no positive pressure from/to anywhere.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All the fans are running off of the CPU PWM header, just idling on the internet and watching some hoops, getting reasonable temps

Last edited:
Thanks, but actually you can't ditch the Noiseblockers as the 140mm fan is covered so there's no positive pressure from/to anywhere.

actually you can, heat goes up, theres a opening below, i doubt this thing would overheat.

actually you can, heat goes up, theres a opening below, i doubt this thing would overheat.

Still needs help, I've already bumped the minimum fan speed twice. If I ran something like Prime95 with no 80mm fans it would overheat for sure very quickly. The CPU still gets warmer than it did in the Node. Another related issue is the little PSU board gets baking hot(heats the nearby RAM and the closer SSD up considerably), I've got a different one on the way from HD Plex.

Last edited:
Still needs help, I've already bumped the minimum fan speed twice. If I ran something like Prime95 with no 80mm fans it would overheat for sure very quickly. The CPU still gets warmer than it did in the Node. Another related issue is the little PSU board gets baking hot(heats the nearby RAM and the closer SSD up considerably), I've got a different one on the way from HD Plex.

lol. suit yourself, its your rig. i wonder how you would get when we were running 2.1v 24/7 on the ol' barty days :p

What PSU is in there right now? And what PSU are you getting from HD Plex? I'm mostly curious as I've had some issues with PicoPSUs recently with heat and noise.

Thanks!

What PSU is in there right now? And what PSU are you getting from HD Plex? I'm mostly curious as I've had some issues with PicoPSUs recently with heat and noise.

Thanks!

I'm using a 200W(I think that's peak but no docs with it) Z3-ATX PSU with 16-24V DC input off ebay(19V brick), but I had read on Johnnyguru or somewhere that these things get hot and are made to run hot like 85C for starters. The board is very close my RAM which I'm not stoked on. Haven't had any noise issues though.

Ordered the 150W from HD Plex which actually has it's own heat sink and 24-pin ATX cable so I can locate it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ordered the 150W from HD Plex which actually has it's own heat sink and 24-pin ATX cable so I can locate it elsewhere.

That's a cute little DC converter! And it looks like it just barely fits at the front of the L1 (opposite end of the your SSD's connectors, with the long end of the bracket on the same end as the SSD connectors).

That's a cute little DC converter! And it looks like it just barely fits at the front of the L1 (opposite end of the your SSD's connectors, with the long end of the bracket on the same end as the SSD connectors).

Yeah, it also comes with a 7.4mm socket hopefully that matches up as well using the DIN holes. I'm using a really short cable converter to 5.5mm right now.

Last edited:
Looks like it also comes with a 5.5/2.5mm DC input connector: http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-150W-DC-ATX-Converter-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

Looking forward to seeing how this works for you. When do you expect it to arrive?

In a couple of days, USPS hasn't updated the tracking info(seems like they never do) but it's 2-day priority from near LA. Thinking of possibly mounting it down near the bottom vent, but I'll know better when it's in my hands.

Last edited:
Oh man, I need to look into these HD Plex PSUs. Their 250 watt can push 192watts sustained on the 12v line AND is advertised as low ripple.

Would LOOOOOVE to see a way to fit that sucker (once it's available) into a Lone case.

Oh man, I need to look into these HD Plex PSUs. Their 250 watt can push 192watts sustained on the 12v line AND is advertised as low ripple.

Would LOOOOOVE to see a way to fit that sucker (once it's available) into a Lone case.

Would've snagged one of those if it was in stock, I'm thinking just mount it to the back of the drive holder.

Last edited:
I really like that case. So tiny. I wonder if a single slot 750ti (if there ever is one) would work, size and PSU wise?

Seemed like the fan cables were probably blocking air flow around the CPU cooler, due to the fans originally being oriented for ease of access to connectors. Had to remove everything to re-orient the fans and add an extender cable, which enabled me to jam everything in both corners and run the extender along backside of mobo. No easy task but results were worth it as CPU temps seemed to drop 2-3C, and looks much cleaner.

WP_20140328_002_zpsac42f891.jpg

Seemed like the fan cables were probably blocking air flow around the CPU cooler, due to the fans originally being oriented for ease of access to connectors. Had to remove everything to re-orient the fans and add an extender cable, which enabled me to jam everything in both corners and run the extender along backside of mobo. No easy task but results were worth it as CPU temps seemed to drop 2-3C, and looks much cleaner.

By "remove everything" do you literally mean everything?! Did you remove the right side panel to help with cable management?

Almost but the mobo standoff cutout was in the way though I could've removed the fans easier that way. Basically had to remove the guts so I could get my fat fingers in there, and yet at some point needed the mobo in there so I could pretty much jam the cables up in the corner(noctua splitter from mobo -> low noise adapter -> another noctua splitter -> to left fan, other side to extension cable to right fan. Adding that low noise adapter really crowded things up.

Almost but the mobo standoff cutout was in the way though I could've removed the fans easier that way. Basically had to remove the guts so I could get my fat fingers in there, and yet at some point needed the mobo in there so I could pretty much jam the cables up in the corner(noctua splitter from mobo -> low noise adapter -> another noctua splitter -> to left fan, other side to extension cable to right fan. Adding that low noise adapter really crowded things up.

I really wish motherboards would just do the right thing and allow the case fans to spin slower.

Got this on Friday, really nice looking stuff but not sure when I'm gonna put it in. The 7.4mm adapter board screws are on a 20mm center vs 19mm for the mini-DIN. Anyway a pic of the delivered goods.

Looks really nice. Can you use the 2.5 mm DC jack that it comes with instead of the 7.4 mm adapter board?

Looks really nice. Can you use the 2.5 mm DC jack that it comes with instead of the 7.4 mm adapter board?

Yeah, should be even easier as I almost cut the Pico-atx line too short.

If I go back to stock clocking 3.5GHz/3.8GHz Turbo, I can run Prime95 indefinitely CPU reads mid 50Cs, cores 20-25C above that. Power drops below the present 74W max(@ 4.1Ghz) to 55W, the HD Plex 150W should easily handle that as 12V rail is 74W max load to 120W peak.

One thing weird is the way they did the wattage rating on this supply compared to picoPSU on mini-box and others is they took the average of the max load(~125W) and peak load rating(~165W). Whereas the picoATX I have now is rated 200W/240W max-load/peak, which how picoPSU also does it(quote the lower max load as the advertized power). I may just keep the present one on there and save this for a future lower TDP build.

The ubiquitous tasty beverage can shot

WP_20140407_002_zps5d2aa9c3.jpg

Last edited:
Back