Researchers Can Find Your Location Based On tweets

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'll bet you guys quit tagging your location in your tweets after reading this. :eek:

The results are interesting. They say that when they exclude people who are obviously traveling, their algorithm correctly predicts people’s home cities 68 per cent of the time, their home state 70 per cent of the time and their time zone 80 per cent of the time. And they say their algorithm takes less than a second to do this for any individual.

This seems a little obvious actually.

So they can find out your location after you told them what your location is. Very impressive.

And google's algorithm is able to recognize you in less 20 queries.

"over 100,000 tweets in the dataset were generated by the location-based social networking site Foursquare and so contained a link that gave the exact location. And almost 300,000 tweets contained the name of cities listed in the US Geological Service gazetteer."

So you mean to tell me that if I tell you exactly where I am, you can figure out where I am? Holy shit.

I have an algorithm that accurately predicts what planet you are on or are in orbit of with 100% accuracy based on your [H] forum posts.

Back