Maxwell release

XenatR

Limp Gawd
any ideas on release dates?

they must be close as the 750 and 750 ti are Maxwell chips!

They have little incentive to release the beast bet we will see it a few weeks after amd 295

Probably between June and September, best case scenario. The delays in getting 20nm production ramped up impacted the release of the true GTX 7xx successors.

I think 20nm is fictional. Ive been hearing about 20nm for the last 2 years and how it keeps being delayed.

I wish something would give a push as Im getting bored of my 2600k as well but alas, there is nothing to push future tech. The highly touted Titanfall is completely fucking weak ass IMO and my 2600k w/ GTX780 can plow over BF4 without an issue even at 1440p so there really is no rush on releasing new tech.

I think 20nm is fictional. Ive been hearing about 20nm for the last 2 years and how it keeps being delayed.

I wish something would give a push as Im getting bored of my 2600k as well but alas, there is nothing to push future tech. The highly touted Titanfall is completely fucking weak ass IMO and my 2600k w/ GTX780 can plow over BF4 without an issue even at 1440p so there really is no rush on releasing new tech.

your 2600k at 4.9ghz is what ghz equivalent of the haswell chips?

i wouldnt mind new intel cpus for better emulation in pcsx2 games like shadow of the colossus! that game rapes systems!!

i might just go for an r9 270x (seems the best bang for buck card) and wait to upgrade further. although july isnt that far away!! :X

any ideas on release dates?

they must be close as the 750 and 750 ti are Maxwell chips!

That's the great psychological move they pulled. Because they released it as the 750 and 750 Ti it could mean something, or it could mean nothing other than expanding the current line up for which they have no reason updating. Helps that they control the high-end lead and many AMD cards in every category are overpriced from their original MSRP. Nvidia is also simultaneously able to test the waters with Maxwell before a big release.

This means we can have a repeat of the 600/700 series where the second high-end card becomes the high-end card for the 800 Series. Time will tell. Right now Nvidia is holding all the cards and everyone knows it.

FFS again?

Big maxwell is going to drop late this year or start of next year.

If they could AMD and NVIDIA would have released 20nm GPUs by now.

Remember lower nm = more dies per wafer

More dies per wafer = higher profits.

I got a used 780 for $350 and OC'ed it to 1250MHz. I had a Titan earlier but sold it, seeing as the difference between the cards isn't much but the price difference was huge and I'm still at 1080p. Until the big next gen multiplatforms come out fall/winter there's no need for more performance.

I'm hoping for an 880GTX and a 4K monitor this fall though :D

NV stated that they will have new geforce consumer parts in 2h 2014 (ie, gtx 800 series) during their last fiscal financial results event. Which would make sense since nvidia has released new desktop GPU families on a yearly basis fairly consistently over the past several years.. When that is specifically? I don't know. I just threw a dart at a dartboard with months on it, and it landed on September. Your guess is as good as mine I suppose. This is an unanswerable question, because any type of announcement would not happen until release is imminent. Like a month before hand. And then we'd get leaks from China 2 months or so beforehand. This has not happened yet. So i'm sticking with my guess of September for 800 series GPUs.

That said, with Haswell refresh/intel 9 series chipset coming this summer, it would be nice for NV to get something out sooner to coincide with that. Who knows.

your 2600k at 4.9ghz is what ghz equivalent of the haswell chips?

i wouldnt mind new intel cpus for better emulation in pcsx2 games like shadow of the colossus! that game rapes systems!!

i might just go for an r9 270x (seems the best bang for buck card) and wait to upgrade further. although july isnt that far away!! :X

4.4-4.5ghz equivalent to 4770k. Cant even get most 4770k much above 4.5ghz. Over 3 years later............... BORING.

If they could AMD and NVIDIA would have released 20nm GPUs by now.

Remember lower nm = more dies per wafer

More dies per wafer = higher profits.

Increase in wafer cost means that they have to wait a bit to reap those rewards.

4.4-4.5ghz equivalent to 4770k. Cant even get most 4770k much above 4.5ghz. Over 3 years later............... BORING.

Yep, CPU's are becoming so uninteresting. I guess we were spoiled by Conroe and Nehalem. Also, what is up with TSMC having issues with every process? I am getting sick of hearing this shit every generation from them. Their yields suck. Meh.

It isn't an issue restricted to TSMC. Silicon fabrication and the associated process shrinks are very complex and large projects, even more so as we get smaller and smaller. Even Intel, which most would generally consider at the forefront of silicon fabrication, isn't enjoying completely smooth transitions these days.

That being said the latest news does not point to significant issues or delays related to TSMC and 20nm. I'm wondering what the source is currently pointing to problems?

The latest news has positive projections from both TSMC as well as its suppliers (related to 20nm manufacturing) going forward for 2Q 2014. This suggests continued ramping for volume production.

Keep in mind despite everything TSMC clients like Qualcomm and Nvidia still rely on them and have not switched despite past reports suggesting they would. AMD has not switched over to GlobalFoundries for it's graphics chips nor have there been any concrete reports of substance to suggest so (the PS4 and Xbox One APUs I believe are also both fabbed at TSMC, not BF either). Apple is even switching to them for production for 20nm. These companies almost certainly have more information and guarantees made to them that is not privy to the public when making their decisions.

There is other considerations here as well such as passing the buck. Let's just use Nvidia as an example, what makes more sense for Nvidia when facing criticism? It makes more sense for them to place responsibility on their suppliers either to spur them to do a better job (for them as a customer) and/or to deflect blame from themselves (important consideration for stakeholders such as shareholders).

Yep, CPU's are becoming so uninteresting. I guess we were spoiled by Conroe and Nehalem. Also, what is up with TSMC having issues with every process? I am getting sick of hearing this shit every generation from them. Their yields suck. Meh.

Conroe was pretty great though. I think even if Intel released something amazing right now, I wouldn't buy it still though. Nothing I use my PC for pushes my 2500k to max ever as it is :(

Material cost and fabrication yield is usually what pushes back new smaller processes. If fabrication yield of a wafer is only 60%, then that's 40% of their money that is being thrown away. I believe manufacturers shoot for 85% yield before starting mass production, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm guessing it has something to do with lack of resources and that they can't just copy everything Intel does for legal reasons. I suspect it'll be a matter of time before Intel comes to the table. Unless their roadmaps point to a successor to silicon being viable before working alone becomes exponentially more difficult. Having tens of billions to throw around yearly is something others just can't do.

I think TSMC's issues are definitely a result of them talking the talk before they can actually walk the walk. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future TSMC, Global Foundry, and UMC team up or merge to compete with Intel.

Conroe was pretty great though. I think even if Intel released something amazing right now, I wouldn't buy it still though. Nothing I use my PC for pushes my 2500k to max ever as it is :(

that 2500K at 4.2ghz will scream like a virgin with crysis 3 and far cry 3. :p

I'm guessing it has something to do with lack of resources and that they can't just copy everything Intel does for legal reasons. I suspect it'll be a matter of time before Intel comes to the table. Unless their roadmaps point to a successor to silicon being viable before working alone becomes exponentially more difficult. Having tens of billions to throw around yearly is something others just can't do.

I think TSMC's issues are definitely a result of them talking the talk before they can actually walk the walk. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future TSMC, Global Foundry, and UMC team up or merge to compete with Intel.

Fab secrets are closely guarded.
TSMC was previously involved with multiple consortiums, GF was with the big IBM consortium. Intel just joined DSA last month don't know if they were involved with others before, so even the giants need to divvy up the R&D costs associated with semiconductor manufacturing.

CPUs are still interesting, but somewhat less interesting for those of us who still buy dGPUs.

Also, I don't think you comprehend how difficult fabrication at these tolerances is. We're at the level today where the laws of quantum mechanics are actually a real concern in making functional transistors.

I'll be really surprised if the flagship Maxwell card comes out in 2014.
I wouldn't be. The year is only three months young.

CPUs are still interesting, but somewhat less interesting for those of us who still buy dGPUs.

Also, I don't think you comprehend how difficult fabrication at these tolerances is. We're at the level today where the laws of quantum mechanics are actually a real concern in making functional transistors.

I wouldn't be. The year is only three months young.

Maybe he means like how we got the 680 first and the the Titan later. Which is to say we might get a so-called flagship this year but the monster Maxwell might not be due until 2015 when 20nm costs come down.

Maybe he means like how we got the 680 first and the the Titan later. Which is to say we might get a so-called flagship this year but the monster Maxwell might not be due until 2015 when 20nm costs come down.

20nm costs will already be down by the time production starts, because 20nm means more dies per wafer over 28nm, which increases the return on investment per wafer.

Binning is another thing. They may very well stockpile flagship binned dies and then release a Titan-esque monster after the "initial" flagship 780-esque, just like you are saying. And I wouldn't put it past them to rinse and repeat what just happened with the 700 series releases. In essence, The only thing left for nVidia to do is figure out a release scheme for the various 800 series Maxwell models.

I wouldnt mind new intel cpus for better emulation in pcsx2 games like shadow of the colossus! that game rapes systems!!
I'm not having any trouble with SoTC on a Core i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz. You are running the latest SVN builds of PCSX2, right? :confused:

20nm costs will already be down by the time production starts, because 20nm means more dies per wafer over 28nm, which increases the return on investment per wafer.

No. Please read the thread.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040710116&postcount=14

Edit- Source
NV-Pres3.jpg

Last edited:

I think chip fabs are fictional. They are probably coming from a duck's ass and don't want anyone to know so they don't try to steal the duck

Others have pointed out how this is incorrect but I'll pile on too. No, you're wrong. Also, you're ignoring the rather significant tapeout costs associated with a 20nm mask set.

Thanks for posting the info about 20nm costs not being effectively lower. I stand corrected.

Back