Sony Announces PS4 VR Headset

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Sony has jumped on the VR goggle bandwagon. The company has just announced Project Morpheus, a wired VR headset for the PS4.

How do you control yourself while using Project Morpheus? Well, with the controllers that Sony already has: the PlayStation Eye, DualShock 4 controller, and Move. The Move, according to Marks, is already a very good VR controller. It actually could be, based on its accuracy and fine-tuned level of tracking.

Beyond simply improving on the graphics (4K, etc.) we need something like this to push gaming forward. There are only so many ways to improve on most games without some kind of new tech. If this (and the Oculus Rift) aren't it, at least they're trying.

The Xbox version will be 480p and send panoramic shots of your living room to the NSA while you're playing.

The Xbox version will be 480p and send panoramic shots of your living room to the NSA while you're playing.

Then Sony would be as well. In fact because Sony has so much less influence and cash than MS I'm sure they have given up your data to the NSA and advertisers much faster than MS would.

Oh, I don't know.... maybe when someone bolts a 4K monitor onto a motorcycle helmet?

Yay for a vomit-encrusted resurrection of another already failed entertainment fad. Those headsets will look great collecting dust next to all those 3D flat panels people bought.

I'd like to point out that Sony has had VR headsets for years. In fact John Carmack actually has sent updates to Sony to their products so they produced lower latency visuals. This is just a newest model in their line of VR headsets.

Don't understand why people keep comparing the two or making them seem like its competing.
They already said the Rift will not be for consoles.

If anything what will Microsoft answer be to being the only console (XBone) left out in terms VR....

Don't understand why people keep comparing the two or making them seem like its competing.
They already said the Rift will not be for consoles.

If anything what will Microsoft answer be to being the only console (XBone) left out in terms VR....

Maybe this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/18/microsoft-reportedly-working-on-a-vr-headset-for-xbox-one

Also, any VR solution will be competing against each other. Doesn't matter if it's on PC or console, folks looking for a VR experience will have to decide which is the easiest most cost effective way to get into it.

Yay for a vomit-encrusted resurrection of another already failed entertainment fad. Those headsets will look great collecting dust next to all those 3D flat panels people bought.

People don't learn their lessons..so whatever. If they want to get themselves all hyped up over something that is going to yet again flop..more power to them. Too many can't get past the "Ooohh Shiny" mentality long enough to realize the very serious problems and hurdles this thing has in the consumer space. Sony VR, OR, or anyone elses for that matter..suffers from the same problem that sunk 3d...People Don't want to wear Stupid shit on their heads for consuming media. Something like this is at best doomed to extremely niche market appeal and likely very little actual developer support as a result.In 5 years this will once again be a dead dream of something that sounds amazing in "Concept" but practically speaking is just terrible.

People don't learn their lessons..so whatever. If they want to get themselves all hyped up over something that is going to yet again flop..more power to them. Too many can't get past the "Ooohh Shiny" mentality long enough to realize the very serious problems and hurdles this thing has in the consumer space. Sony VR, OR, or anyone elses for that matter..suffers from the same problem that sunk 3d...People Don't want to wear Stupid shit on their heads for consuming media. Something like this is at best doomed to extremely niche market appeal and likely very little actual developer support as a result.In 5 years this will once again be a dead dream of something that sounds amazing in "Concept" but practically speaking is just terrible.

Forget everything you knew about Virtual Reality from the old days,

I think once people try it, they will be convinced otherwise. Its that good. Come to Dallas at this years QuakeCon and try it for yourself. I am sure you will think differently.

I had a chance to try it last year and I cannot wait to get my hands on the consumer model.

Forget everything you knew about Virtual Reality from the old days,

I think once people try it, they will be convinced otherwise. Its that good. Come to Dallas at this years QuakeCon and try it for yourself. I am sure you will think differently.

I had a chance to try it last year and I cannot wait to get my hands on the consumer model.

Here is the thing.. there is nothing appealing about this sort of gaming to me and a larger percentage of gamers. Re list is long in why but the extremely distilled version is having me unable to multitask and killing my ability to see what's going on around me just isn't acceptable. The fundamental problem with Vr isn't graphics, it's the total isolation. Sure this sounds neat in theory but most of the time it turns out to be a giant negative. Don't get me wrong, I think Vr has some amazing potential. However gaming is just thinking too small for it and if that is its only selling point, it fails plain and simple.

Try it before you deny it... the game of thrones wall w/ vr at SXSW was a good proof of concept.

Try it before you deny it... the game of thrones wall w/ vr at SXSW was a good proof of concept.

Rational logical thought seems to have fled these forums in recent years..

Ok you need to understand something man. I have never once said VR in some instances isn't cool. There are certain applications where it can be extremely neat/useful. Gaming or at least gaming how most people do in their homes isn't one of them. You see a 5-10 minute "Demo" at a Tradeshow or Themepark isn't even remotely the same as Regular gaming for hours in your home. Oh sure you might sometimes really enjoy being fully immersed in a game, but the reality is that isn't how most people play their games. We sit on our couches and BS with friends, we sit at our PC with multi monitors with game on one and websites on another, we game on a single monitor but also are aware of other things going on around us. Most of the time we don't want to be so immersed that we are cut off from everything except the game. This is why this concept from a gaming perspective quite simply is going to fail. It isn't about me hating technology or any other stupid argument. It is the very real understanding of how we play games and interact with them. So it doesn't matter what the resolution is, or how pretty the graphics are. It comes down to my straight forward argument of "People don't want to wear stupid shit on their head that completely isolates them".

yeah...

but I do.

You're pejoratively generalizing about a group of people at least 100 million large (gamers) and a technology that you have either never used, or have no interest in using after trying once.

Might be that you aren't the target audience.

Check out Escape the Forest you might be swayed.

As for the whole dig about rational logical thought... you know you're on the internet, right?

Back