Raidmax Cobra Power 500W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Raidmax Cobra Power 500W Power Supply Review - We tread off the beaten PSU path today with a power supply from Raidmax that is part of the Cobra series. The RX-500AF-B unit sports 500 watts of "Haswell Ready" power, a Bronze efficiency rating, advertised stable voltages, a "strong single +12V rail for high-end system heavy load configuration," plus a paint ball stained exterior.

Seems even Raidmax knows what a stinker of a power supply this is, as they used it for paintball practice.

This makes me very thankful that a fellow [H]er talked me out of Raidmax case+PS combo a while back. Thanks for the review, guys.

It's been a while since we had a genuine failtrain candidate. If only it had burst into flame!

If the options were buy this unit or buy a hamster on a wheel to power your PC then you only have only one question. What do hamsters eat?

That quote right there made my day. :p

I've never used nor have ever recommended RaidMAX power supplies to anyone. I've always thought there power supplies were underwhelming with more flash than function. [H]'s review, among many, definitely substantiates my thinking.

Thanks for taking the time to put this review together. Greatly appreciated. :)

The sad fact is that there are plenty of people who are ignorant enough to buy junk like this. Wait for a decent power supply to go on sale, like a Corsair or Antec. They drop to <$30 pretty regularly.

Of all the components in the system the PSU is the most important as it directly affects the longevity of your components, whether they burn out from bad power or in the worst case scenario, catch fire! Spend the extra 10$ and get a Seasonic based unit.

I love reading reviews of bad PSUs more than good ones, because these are so much more entertaining.

When was the last time RaidMax made ANY quality products? Everything they produce looks cheap and gimmiky.

I was going to say this review was predictable, but I actually expected the unit to burst into flames.

Awesome review! great job guys! It doesn't surprise me that this PSU is terrible since it's RAIDMAX. Have you seen their PC cases lately?! Raidmax products are laughable, at best. That's why I stick with Corsair... for now.

The smell alone would make the unit unusable.... Nasty!

It is always funny when people buy a PS and then come ask if its good. Better to do a little research first when you have products like this.

It's so hard to believe that with all our technological advancements, some companies are still incapable of making a decent product. Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. Reviews like this make me glad that I have an OCZ Z-Series. It's the little things like Japanese caps, solid rails and giant fans that make PSUs good or bad. Personally, I never gave a damn what PSU looks like any more than I cared about the visuals of a motherboard or video card. It's in my case, I can't see it and I just want it to work.

There is one glaring question that must be asked. Who oversees the 80-plus standard? It sure looks like they were either asleep at the wheel or were bought off. If this PSU can carry the 80-plus Bronze certification, then it makes me wonder what other PSUs are improperly branded.

Back