Jony Ive Complains Competitors Steal Apple's Work

HardOCP News

[H] News
Really? This crap again? :rolleyes:

We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them. But what we've shown is that people do care. It's not just about aesthetics. They care about things that are thoughtfully conceived and well made.

Why link to an article that requires a subscription?

I also like how Ive's Leica looked like pure shit.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates set the standard on robbing ideas from other companies. Granted they do have a lot of innovation in their careers, they are de-facto thiefs of designs.

On the other hand, the chinese, or really any asian company is rife with copying ideas. It's all they do! Innovation isn't even in their dictionaries.

Just reading the first two paragraphs, I get the feeling that this article is just a completely arrogant, self serving piece of crap. It starts off heaping praise after praise upon the UK for building things that are just things that any civilization would develop in time. That doesn't make the UK, or Apple, anything special. Oh, they managed to make certain things a little prettier, but they are still things that would eventually be made. they're really basic concepts. They aren't unique. The person behind this article is just totally brainwashed and enthralled. It's a total piece of crap, not worth reading the rest.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates set the standard on robbing ideas from other companies. Granted they do have a lot of innovation in their careers, they are de-facto thiefs of designs.

On the other hand, the chinese, or really any asian company is rife with copying ideas. It's all they do! Innovation isn't even in their dictionaries.

Bill Gates generally bought out companies, paying people for their innovative designs. Apple and Steve Jobs flat out stole designs, putting down patents in order to legally hold them, and sue everyone else for learning how to walk.

What a stupid article. Who is the 'we' that uses Jonny Ive's crap to live by that they are talking about (definitely not me)?

Apple is great about designing really nice interfaces and than sitting on their hands while other people develop useful things to do with it. As the product evolves it becomes less and less Apples idea. At some point everything Apple turns into pretty, overpriced, and underpowered junk.

Apple, despite its powerful position, still suffers internally from the underdog phenomena. They still feel they're the little tiny company having to vigorously bark and yell to ensure that people pay attention to them. When you're a small dog it makes sense to demand that level of attention so your products get attention from consumers and reviewers. Apple, though, passed into being a big boy long ago and yet still tries to act like they're this little tiny company beleaguered on all sides by big bad people trying to take their lunch money. Couple that with the arrogance that only one style is correct and all others are crap (which Johnny Ive personifies) and you have a fairly big recipe for arrogance.

Are Apple products attractive? Sure, I guess. I don't personally like them but I recognize that they win awards for such things and consumers do find them nice. Are all other products, by definition, then unattractive? Hell no. That's what Apple has yet to realize. Just because one woman is defined as attractive it does not then mean that all other women are just ugly by default. There can be more than one attractive design for a phone, tablet, computer, etc. Apple doesn't really want to admit that, though. They insist their is only one "correct" appearance ... and that's theirs (until they change it, then it'll be their new one).

http://time.com/jonathan-ive-apple-interview/

Just petty bitching about others stealing Apple's designs and ideas.. they invented the smartphone, DAP, tablet, and personal computer, right? :rolleyes:

It goes further.

OixYZD1.jpg

Jony? SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I skimmed the article, and I got the same thing. Someone has a huge stiffy for Apple, and it really shows in this article. So, the bias is expected.

Just reading the first two paragraphs, I get the feeling that this article is just a completely arrogant, self serving piece of crap. It starts off heaping praise after praise upon the UK for building things that are just things that any civilization would develop in time. That doesn't make the UK, or Apple, anything special. Oh, they managed to make certain things a little prettier, but they are still things that would eventually be made. they're really basic concepts. They aren't unique. The person behind this article is just totally brainwashed and enthralled. It's a total piece of crap, not worth reading the rest.

Apple, as a company, is arrogant. The way they market their products to the lawyers. They all think they are #1 and no one else is really that great. Everyone else is trying to copy them to try and be like them. I like some of Apple's products, but the elitist type of stuff really gets to me. iPhones, iPads, Macs.... They aren't anything special. They are nice, sure. But, if I use them, I am not better than anyone else. People use them as "Look at me, I have an iPad..." or whatever. A few years ago, it was worse. Now, everyone has an iPhone, and the iPad is just another tablet in a flooded market of good and bad tablets (iPad is in the good range - very good tablet). They aren't that special anymore.

As far as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs copying people - that's a no brainer. Of course they did. Over and over again. It happens in a lot of businesses. However, the biggest thing that they did was to IMPROVE what they copied. GUI? Mac did it better and it took a while for Windows to get good. Browser? Microsoft almost missed the boat, and if IE wasn't included in the OS, it wouldn't have ever made it as big as it did. MP3 players? Apple did a great job of taking the idea and improving it. Tablets? IBM had a tablet in the 90's. Microsoft had XP Tablet edition. iPad was released during the prime time of hype with Apple, and they continue to have a lot of success. Now, there is a lot of competition. Take someone else's idea and improve on it.

"Picaso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal', and we at Apple have always been shameless about stealing great ideas" -- Steve Jobs.

And then he bitched about Microsoft "copying" from Apple. And now we get Jony Ive pissing and moaning about maybe someone copying his 1st-grade looking nonsense. Cry me a river, Apple.

I know I've seen these before, but it cracks me up when they show up, esp on a "People copied Apple" thread.

Apple's strategy is to say it enough times and the sheep will start thinking it's true (this works unfortunately) while the truth is out there if you are willing to open your mind and eyes or have been around technology for a while:

images

Apple's strategy is to say it enough times and the sheep will start thinking it's true (this works unfortunately) while the truth is out there if you are willing to open your mind and eyes or have been around technology for a while:

images

shall we also apply your logic to this regurgitated (and incorrect) post? ;)

Apple invented everything, even the things it copied from others!

Jony Ives is your typical industrial designer. Pretentious. And thinks all of his creations are significant and meaningful to everyone.

It goes further.

OixYZD1.jpg

Jony? SHUT THE FUCK UP.

When you take inspiration from something that's entirely functionally different and then apply what you've learned to a completely different design, that's new. That's not theft.

When your inspiration is from the same product with the same functionality and you directly copy it, that's theft.

When you take inspiration from something that's entirely functionally different and then apply what you've learned to a completely different design, that's new. That's not theft.

When your inspiration is from the same product with the same functionality and you directly copy it, that's theft.

I was gonna snark and post the "moving goalposts" image, but no need to when there's this.

W55mp0R.jpg

Theft of ideas, design or otherwise, has always been a standard of practice at Apple.

I was gonna snark and post the "moving goalposts" image, but no need to when there's this.

W55mp0R.jpg

Theft of ideas, design or otherwise, has always been a standard of practice at Apple.

Ah yes, the Star, a platform that invented the GUI but that the Lisa and Mac had very little in common with.

There were so many improvements made by ex-Xerox engineers when they made the Lisa and the Macintosh: http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.p...&topic=Software Design&sortOrder=Sort by Date

Drop-down menus, drag and drop for files and folders, the clipboard, types and creators for files, multiple views of the file system, overlapping windows, control panels, all of the things that arel standard in desktop GUIs 30 years later came from the Mac and Lisa teams.

The Star UI and methods of doings things are so different from the Mac (and by extension Windows) that it feels like it came from an alternate reality. Even simple cut/paste was done in a completely different way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4vC80Pv6Q

Watch the whole thing and learn your history.

This headline is not at all what the article is about. It's not even what the quote is about.

http://time.com/jonathan-ive-apple-interview/

Just petty bitching about others stealing Apple's designs and ideas.. they invented the smartphone, DAP, tablet, and personal computer, right? :rolleyes:

Well he may have some points about stealing some of the design decisions, but other stuff is silly. A rectangular phone is not revolutionary. Every phone I've owned was rectangle.

The PC kinda is Apples. I don't recall a consumer PC prior to Apple. I know they existed, but most of them weren't close to the Apple. When the IBM PC came out, I distinctly recall it be far more confusing to use (though for the life of me I can't tell you why).

However, today, I think your PC choice should be based on yoru applications. If you're doing work with video, I think that most will agree that Macs have the better apps. For audio production, it's split, but every musician I know uses a Mac (if they can afford it).

iPod? I was pretty hot on getting one until I found out it couldn't do gapless playback. I ended up with a Rio Karma. Rio went out of business and Apple eventually got gapless, though I still don't use my phone for music (and yeah it's an iPhone...for now).

I'm very interested in what Apple does with the iPhone 6. It's supposed to have a much bigger screen and at that point it's just a matter of how it lines up with Samsung (and perhaps HTC).

I know one thing: I work with people who were anti-apple and 100% behind android and they've switched to Apple. One of the key reasons is that apple controls updates to devices. Android devices are controlled by carriers who tend to drop updates sooner rather than later.

I'm still torn, because I feel like I used apps on Android more than on the iPhone, but it's been 2+ years, so who knows.

Finally, another friend got an iPad when they were $50.00 off and he's been very impressed. I think he's pretty much quit using his kindle e reader despite (which was not expected). Of course if he goes outside, I suspect that kindle will make a comeback.

Well he may have some points about stealing some of the design decisions, but other stuff is silly. A rectangular phone is not revolutionary. Every phone I've owned was rectangle.

Tell that to Apple. It's precisely what they sued Samsung over in Germany. Remember the ridiculous settlement they offered about making a phone without "rounded corners" in a "non rectangular shape"?

People can explain away all the want, but the fact remains that Apple is just as guilty as "theft" as they accuse other companies of. Notification shade in iOS is *entirely* ripped off from Android. The Live Wallpaper in iOS7 is identical to the default live wallpaper that introduced in ICS. Apple ripped off Creative's Nomad player UI wholesale (it's what the lawsuit was about before Apple decided to settle instead of fight).

The only thing I can honestly think of that Apple has 'invented' was putting permanent, non user serviceable batteries into $3000 laptops.

I'll just leave you here with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Back