Electronic Arts Lays Off Some PopCap Employees

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Electronic Arts announced this week that the company will be laying off a portion of its PopCap videogame division to shift focus to other gaming services.

“The changes we made today at PopCap were painful and we’re sorry to lose some of our friends and colleagues.”

EA: Obtain, undermine, terminate.

So much better than "Challenge Everything".

Exactly. They did a really great job with plants vs zombies 2. I played it even more than the first, but the in-app-purchase model EA forced on it both hurt the game and I'm assuming resulted in less income. I would have happily paid $2.99 for the game, but I had no interest in paying money for what were essentially cheats, I never spent a dime despite my hours and hours of play. I have a feeling I wasn't the only one to play that way.

Exactly. They did a really great job with plants vs zombies 2. I played it even more than the first, but the in-app-purchase model EA forced on it both hurt the game and I'm assuming resulted in less income. I would have happily paid $2.99 for the game, but I had no interest in paying money for what were essentially cheats, I never spent a dime despite my hours and hours of play. I have a feeling I wasn't the only one to play that way.

It wasn't that they charged for cheats..it was that they charged an excessive amounts for cheats. The same goes for the new bloons. So "money driven". You need to make a system where people "want" to give you their money, not "need' to give you their money. There are a few games where this works out...but not enough IMO.

that's a kick in the balls... be part of the team that made them something like a million dollars a month, and then to get a 'hey thanks, you're fired"

just EA being EA... cesspool shithole of a company.

The way pants versus zombies 2 was when it was released was Fucking terrible. It was a worse grind then a Korean mmo.

The recent update to get rid of that stupid key systemmade the game 100x more fun.

Why can't the terrorists fly planes into EA headquarters and take on the real evils of the world instead of killing a bunch of finance workers?

Yeah, I'm sure EA as a corporation was really sorry to lose employees that they had to actually pay. Yeah, I'm sure this really upset them a lot.

Doesn't matter, PopCap owners cashed out during the sale and are laughing all the way to the bank. If you care about your business you don't sell it to a global corporation. If you are tired of your business you sell it and walk away. GG former PopCap owners.

Doesn't matter, PopCap owners cashed out during the sale and are laughing all the way to the bank. If you care about your business you don't sell it to a global corporation. If you are tired of your business you sell it and walk away. GG former PopCap owners.

Yeah, the owners had to know that selling to EA was stuffing their employees in a drifting boat and taking the oars as they left.

The changes we made today at PopCap were painful and we’re sorry to lose some of our friends and colleagues.

In other words, we couldn't be happier getting rid of what our shareholders saw as dead weight, so now Pop Cap will become nothing more than a name in our organization, that we will re-purpose.

Reminds me of the buy, shelve and eventually kill off purchasing program Symantec used at one time. Buy all the competitors, then let them collect dust until everyone forgets about them, then kill them.

Back