memory that only works with AMD

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
This summer I was making an ITX build for my gf's grandfather so that he can skype us in England. I found some really cheap "Kingston" DIMS listed as DDR3 1333 1.5v AMD only. I didn't really pay attention to the AMD part as I can't read Chinese. Turns out the computer wouldn't start with them in. I put the DIMS in an AMD system and it worked great. Bought new RAM for the Intel system and now it works great as well.

Now I want to sell the AMD only DIMS on ebay without being misleading.
Any idea why these work in an AMD system and not in an intel system?
I'm guessing voltage but I'm not sure.

4ggs9k.jpg

Having come across counterfeit components this suspiciously has all the tell tale-signs of counterfeit memory with questionable quality. I'd send the photo to Kingston and get their feedback.

I'm sure they are counterfeit, look at the chips. I'm not going to list them as Kingston brand.
The question is why do they post on AMD but not on Intel.
Kingston isn't going to buy them off of me and they aren't going to do anything about a listing on Taobao either so no point.

I'm sure they are counterfeit, look at the chips. I'm not going to list them as Kingston brand.
The question is why do they post on AMD but not on Intel.
Kingston isn't going to buy them off of me and they aren't going to do anything about a listing on Taobao either so no point.

On AMD do they pass memtest?

didn't try memtest. Just put them in an AMD board, booted and opened some apps. They had good reviews.
I don't have any AMD systems here to run memtest on them with.

Just because it posts doesn't mean it's stable. Probably related to IMC and timing. Unfortunately, if you don't want to mislead then don't list them otherwise you'll have to mention they're counterfeit then no one will bid. Better approach is educate and warn people of counterfeit memory and maybe someone generous will donate for your time and effort to recoup the cost.

Just because it posts doesn't mean it's stable. Probably related to IMC and timing. Unfortunately, if you don't want to mislead then don't list them otherwise you'll have to mention they're counterfeit then no one will bid. Better approach is educate and warn people of counterfeit memory and maybe someone generous will donate for your time and effort to recoup the cost.

I'd try to sell them locally or give them away to family on AMD, TBH.

Not worth the internet drama that comes from being honest about a slightly-malfunctioning product.

Back