Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

2015-04-06: The L2 has been replaced by the L3:

Differences from L2 to L3:
- Anodized finish
- Smaller size
- Smaller redesigned vents
- Standard vented side panel
- Single expansion slot with room for oversize GPU coolers
- Supports HDPLEX power input mounting holes
- Single bottom 80 mm fan mount (intended for customers wanting to use a solid side panel)

Uvidqa6.jpg

y7Fi4AB.jpg

IEhszZl.jpg

2MWkyyT.jpg

0li6V7D.jpg

2014-06-09: All but two L2 orders have shipped!

2014-05-26: Some delays with powder coater. Hope to start shipping black L2 cases by the end of the week, and the white cases approx a week later. Vented side panels are $25 CAD extra and need to be requested.

2014-04-07: L2 in production for pre-order customers. Estimated availability: May 2014.

2014-03-31: Taking pre-orders. Pre-orders are charged once the item is in stock and ready to ship.

There's been a number of people who have expressed interest in a dual expansion slot version of the Lone Industries L1 Mini-ITX case, so they can use a dual slot width GPU like the Galaxy 750 Ti Slim.

I'd like to make this happen for these people, but need another 10-15 more people to commit. At around 20-25 cases, I can keep the price down around $120 CAD. If you're interested please let me know either by posting, or by emailing me. Lead-time would be about 4-6 weeks. They're made in Canada. Shipping to most places in the US would be about $20 CAD. The least expensive international shipping options range from $24 CAD (surface) to $47 CAD (air). Once I get enough interest, I'll probably take pre-orders, and get the parts manufactured.

Differences between the L1 and L2:
- Slightly larger in size: 220 x 100 x 240 mm (L x W x H)
- Dual expansion slots

I'm open to suggestions for minor improvements or tweaks, but the main idea with the L2 is to simply scale it up slightly for the dual expansion slots.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread I will buy one. Just tell me when and where to send my money and it will be done.

I'm in as soon as (if) they're ready.

I'd be alright with a pre-order. Nothing wrong with that if you can guarantee the product. I'd really like to see the white done again so I hope you can get 25 going.

Last edited:
Square it up to 240x240 and I think a 1u flex-atx like the Athena I have would work. My L1 is above LA in transit, looks like maybe tomorrow, Monday for sure to SD.

I'm still very interested in this (I expressed interest in the other thread). Since the Galaxy 750ti low profile is now available I'm much more likely to get this. I even bought an NCASE M1 and I'm considering using this instead.

I might be interested if it does have the mounting holes on the bottom for an 80mm fan. Using an 80x15mm fan might allow us to remove the noise 50-60mm fans on GPUs while providing adequate cooling.

I'm on the fence since I haven't seen a 750ti available for sale at this point in time (I know galaxy has one, but nothing is for sale atm.) But, if I am going low profile, 750ti is the only option for me.

I might be interested if it does have the mounting holes on the bottom for an 80mm fan. Using an 80x15mm fan might allow us to remove the noise 50-60mm fans on GPUs while providing adequate cooling.

I'm on the fence since I haven't seen a 750ti available for sale at this point in time (I know galaxy has one, but nothing is for sale atm.) But, if I am going low profile, 750ti is the only option for me.

The Galaxy store has them available for purchase, I and a couple others successfully ordered them in the US. Mine shipped this morning. Like you said it is one of the few options.

http://store.galaxytechus.com/

Edit: Sorry it's now marked as OOS. Glad I got one, you can still sign up to be notified when they're available.

I just got my card. Dimensions are as follows(in mm):
150(length)x35(thickness)x70(height)

If you don't count the PCI-E insert it is closer to 60-63mm tall.

Here are some shots I have of the card. More than happy to oblige any requests since I imagine this card being pretty important when it comes to this case(something I am interested in myself).

Here are some shots of it compared to my Gigabyte 650ti Boost Windforce x2 and installed in my system. (i3 2120/Corsair LP/Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi/AXP-140),

Last edited:
lone, not sure if this was brought up in the other thread (I might have even brought it up myself??), but is it possible to move the drive cage to one side of the case so that a different PSU, such as http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Converter-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html, could be installed?

It looks like that PSU (or others like it) would fit at the front of the case, next to the drive bracket rotated 90 degrees. This would place the drives parallel to the motherboard. I'll look into this further.

EDIT: Looks like mounting the drive bracket 90 degrees is almost do-able as is, by using the bottom holes on the HDD/SSD. It's not perfect right now, but as-is (with the L1) would only require a 2.5 mm thick spacer/washer.

Last edited:
Square it up to 240x240 and I think a 1u flex-atx like the Athena I have would work. My L1 is above LA in transit, looks like maybe tomorrow, Monday for sure to SD.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try squaring it up, or at least making it a bit longer. Looks like you should have your L1 on Monday!

It will have mounting holes on the bottom for an 80 mm fan. Also, just so it's clear for everyone, using a 80x15mm fan along with a GPU would only work with a single slot width GPU (e.g. Sapphire HD 7750 LP).

I just got my card. Dimensions are as follows(in mm):
150(length)x35(thickness)x70(height)

If you don't count the PCI-E insert it is closer to 60-63mm tall.

Here are some shots I have of the card. More than happy to oblige any requests since I imagine this card being pretty important when it comes to this case(something I am interested in myself).

Here are some shots of it compared to my Gigabyte 650ti Boost Windforce x2 and installed in my system. (i3 2120/Corsair LP/Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi/AXP-140),

Thanks for the measurements! They're very helpful. Happy to see it is a standard two slot width. :)

I'm sorry Lone but you've too change my for certain to maybe.
(I just simply need to see a passive lp 750 before I buy the case or atleast the modding possibility).

Though I am pro the above mentioned PSU versions.
With Z99 mobos coming soon the M.2 will explode and "external" 2,5" SSD won't be needed.

I'm sorry Lone but you've too change my for certain to maybe.
(I just simply need to see a passive lp 750 before I buy the case or atleast the modding possibility).

Though I am pro the above mentioned PSU versions.
With Z99 mobos coming soon the M.2 will explode and "external" 2,5" SSD won't be needed.

No problem. I'll keep you listed as a maybe. Thank you for letting me know.

Hey Lone, I'm not sure if I'm on your list from the L1 thread but, I'm still a maybe for the L2 case.

Based on the dimensions Ryleh provided, the L2 in it's current form has 7 mm of clearance at the bottom with the Galaxy GeForce GTX 750 Slim. That's a lot more than I was expecting. Also, there's 7 mm of clearance between the top mounted case fan and motherboard (minus 1.25 mm when using silicone fan mounts).

Last edited:
For those interested, or who have already said they're interested in an L2, please let me know:

1. Your colour preference (black, white, unfinished, other?)
2. Whether you would prefer to wait for more interest and pay less (approx $100-110 CAD), or not wait for more interest and pay more (approx $145 CAD).

The reason I bring up #2, is that there's enough interest now for a small batch of cases. It's also possible this is all the interest we'll get.

Last edited:
For those interested, or who have already said they're interested in an L2, please let me know:

1. Your colour preference (black, white, other?)
2. Whether you would prefer to wait for more interest and pay less (approx $100-110), or not wait for more interest and pay more (approx $145).

The reason I bring up #2, is that there's enough interest now for a small batch of cases. It's also possible this is all the interest we'll get.

1) Black
2) I'd rather have it now than later.. also if you were to do it now when would we expect to have the cases manufactured/completed/at our doorstep?

1) Black
2) I'd rather have it now than later.. also if you were to do it now when would we expect to have the cases manufactured/completed/at our doorstep?

Thanks. Lead-time is about 4 weeks including finishing. If you're in the US, then add another week to get to your door. This assumes there's no major issues that require parts to be remade and refinished.

Also, one thing I've been wondering about is using steel instead of aluminum. Do people care when it's powder coated? Customers don't save on shipping, because the boxes cube out to 6 lb., even though the package weighs 3 lb. :(

I'm willing to pay a bit more to get one sooner. I have everything out of my L1 and am on my mobo box because the 750ti doesnt fit.

I'd like black again. As far as the material I did like the aluminum but I'm really not too picky.

I prefer the white color. I like aluminum too, but it probably wouldn't make a big difference in the end. I'm fine with paying more to get it sooner.

Aluminium would be lighter and thus easier on the shipping for those looking at this project across the pond. I hail from Bangladesh but I'll essentially have the case/package shipped to an US address and it'll be repackaged to my location.

The down side to having aluminium is that it tends to convey vibrations more, though, nothing rubber dampers between screws mounts and panels can't fix.

Put me down for "maybe" though I'm very interested!
I'd like one in matte Gunmetal grey.

another request I'd like to convey is if the whole endeavor would cost around $100USD shipping can be added to that round but once I go past that mark and add shipping, it would come close to $200USD for me.

Oh yeah, will the case have support for these powersupplies?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=100007657 600014011&IsNodeId=1&name=Mini ITX

Is there an option to have no switches? I have a 22mm SS anti vandal amber ring switch that I'd like to use on this - possible?

Possibility to extend 2.5 drive capacity by 4? and how is the layout affected if we go for a flex PSU inside the case? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to know a little more of the project I'll be investing in.

I already own 2 Compact Splash cases but using any of them on a Richland APU build would be a waste of case potential and then the L2 walked into my life :D

Thanks for making this project a possibility!

P.S: would it be possible to get a SFX inside the case without changing case dimensions? the 300W gold SFX from Be quiet would be an awesome edition and make this a nimble HTPC light gaming case!

Last edited:
P.S: would it be possible to get a SFX inside the case without changing case dimensions? the 300W gold SFX from Be quiet would be an awesome edition and make this a nimble HTPC light gaming case!

With all of the other components? An SFX PSU is about 65mm high, so even if you could cram one in above the motherboard there would only be about 35mm of space below it to squeeze in the standoffs, MB, and everything else.

Hmmm, interesting thought. I'll do some mockups via sketches and see if anything turns up for the OP :)

No apologies needed, but if you put them side by side you will see that it is not possible.

Put me down for "maybe" though I'm very interested!
I'd like one in matte Gunmetal grey.

Hi Lutfij. Thank you for the comments. I've got you marked you down as a maybe, and gunmetal for colour. Note: I can't guarantee the colour. I'm hoping to go with the two most popular colours. Another option is to go with an unfinished case, and have it powder coated locally.

another request I'd like to convey is if the whole endeavor would cost around $100USD shipping can be added to that round but once I go past that mark and add shipping, it would come close to $200USD for me.

Please note, all pricing is in Canadian dollars. $145 CAD is about $125 USD currently.

Probably not supported out of the box. Stevo_ is looking to use a Flex ATX PSU. He may be able to comment more on how do-able this is? You'd for sure loose the ability to use the SSD/HDD bracket, but may be able to mount one 2.5 inch drive to the existing mounting holes at a 90 degree angle.

Is there an option to have no switches? I have a 22mm SS anti vandal amber ring switch that I'd like to use on this - possible?

Yes, certainly. The hole is for a 19 mm switch (16 mm hole). It would be quite easy to enlarge, and any raw metal would be hidden by the switch. If everyone would prefer to use a larger 22 mm switch, I could make it the default. I just have the 19 mm switches already, and I like them because of their very short depth.

Possibility to extend 2.5 drive capacity by 4?

I'll have to look into this. I hesitate because I hate to introduce a huge SSD/HDD bracket when most people only use one or two drives. The third drive capability is more an extension already. If you don't mind doing something not supported, I'm sure there's room to stick a fourth drive someone (e.g. the inside of the side panel).

and how is the layout affected if we go for a flex PSU inside the case? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to know a little more of the project I'll be investing in.

See above. I appreciate the questions!

I already own 2 Compact Splash cases but using any of them on a Richland APU build would be a waste of case potential and then the L2 walked into my life :D

Thanks for making this project a possibility!

Thank you for your interest!

As far as I know, an SFX inside this case isn't really do-able. :) The NCASE M1, or Compact Splash are quite small in my opinion and support an SFX PSU. If I needed to use an SFX PSU, either of those are what I'd choose ATM.

Last edited:
Oh poop, the color would've made me jump with joy :) anyways, lemme know if I can get that option with a lil price bump since powder coating down my end isn't possible. Even if by some slim chance I found a powder coating workshop, the workmanship would be horrendous!

Don't want to ruin custom made works of tech art mind you.

Understood. Lone if its at all possible how soon would you require a payment? I ask since I'd need to connect with my pal who'd be making payments to you(via Paypal I presume?) and see how soon a payment can be made! Though I might have a small issue with transferring Canadian dollars, my pal is a lil bit uninformed of the processes. If the payment is adjusted into CAD if I make USD payments, then I think the problems solved :D

I'll keep an eye out for Stevo_'s update on that flex psu. You know you could also velcro a couple of 2.5" drives atop of the psu unit...? and with some careful wring job, you can get another 2.5" drive under the GPU. But if you are like me who'll be using the APU as standalone, then the 2.5" drives can be stackable from the bottom of the case.

On that note, I'll just buy this;http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ad_SSD_Mount_Kit_MAC-362.html?tl=g58c701s2241 if the dimensions match up seeing this in some builds as being the same width as a 3.5" drive. Thus no GPU, drive caddy in the bottom, I can have myself a NAS with 2.5 drives+1 ssd :)

No sir, thank you for giving me the opportunity at this project :)

Cheers bro.

updawg - its alright, I'm kewl mate :D

Last edited:
anyways, lemme know if I can get that option with a lil price bump since powder coating down my end isn't possible.

I can check on the price for one custom colour. If it's a colour they do often, then we could just have it done with someone elses batch of parts and save some money.

Understood. Lone if its at all possible how soon would you require a payment? I ask since I'd need to connect with my pal who'd be making payments to you(via Paypal I presume?) and see how soon a payment can be made! Though I might have a small issue with transferring Canadian dollars, my pal is a lil bit uninformed of the processes. If the payment is adjusted into CAD if I make USD payments, then I think the problems solved :D

Once I get final pricing, then I could accept pre-orders. But I probably wouldn't accept actual payment until I have the parts in hand, and have confirmed there are no problems. The currency conversion is handled by the payment processor (e.g. PayPal, or credit card processor). If by PayPal, I'd send a PayPal Invoice that your friend can pay.

But if you are like me who'll be using the APU as standalone, then the 2.5" drives can be stackable from the bottom of the case.

If you're not using an add-on graphics card you should consider using a PicoPSU if possible, which is what this case is intended to be used with (or a motherboard with a built-in DC input). Also, if you're not planning on using a dual slot GPU, you might want to also consider the L1.

Note: The L2 has an inside width of 93.5 mm. If you're handy, you could also make a custom bracket out of two flat pieces of metal, or plastic. There's room at the front for four 7-9 mm thick SSD stacked (not considering room for wiring).

You may also want to check out the original L1 thread, to get an idea as to the scale of this case, and it's capabilities to make sure it's right for you. The pictures with nothing in it don't really help capture the size.

Awesome sauce, looking forward to your inquiry on color!

My friend would be over joyous if he can make a credit card payment without involving Paypal, merely because he has trouble stocking money on the Paypal account.

Otherwise I've made payments via Paypal courtesy of my friend but his timing is bad since he also has to do odd jobs to maintain his expenses.

Yeah thanks for the links to the L1 - I've followed it up to this thread and I feel L2 is the case for my needs since the L1 is a bit shy on giving me upgrade options, furthermore, the drive stacking option is evident in L2

When i was moving for Compact Splash the newfound info of SFX psu's were an interesting read and this time around I'm having educational material in the form of PicoPSu's. I'll take some time out and try settling in with some info before I make some assumptions though.

And lastly I have to agree, the empty case doesn't give much idea in terms of scale. I had to find a pic with an L1 next to a Fractal Node 304 black to gauge it visually :) aside from the dimensions already given.

Thanks for the prompt responses mate. Much appreciated! :D

Red is always my first color. White after that.
Aluminium or steel doesn't matter.
I rather wait. Mostly for the right graphics card then cheaper case.

Probably not supported out of the box. Stevo_ is looking to use a Flex ATX PSU. He may be able to comment more on how do-able this is? You'd for sure loose the ability to use the SSD/HDD bracket, but may be able to mount one 2.5 inch drive to the existing mounting holes at a 90 degree angle.

I need to try the internal power cord from my Node 304 as a normal angled C13 is just too tall(assuming the Node has the correct directional angle). Otherwise, you'd need to drop the front top fan unless you also dropped some of the wire harness. I'll probably give both options a checkout this weekend. Another thing to look at is just opening up the PSU, more options that way.

Lone, what's the clearance in back of the mobo? Enough for mounting SSDs on that back panel?

Back