Compact Splash M-ITX SFF Gaming Build Log

batmanwcm

Gawd
So I decided to do my first build thread on here since this is the forum that started it all. The Splash is loads more popular over on OCN but I'm doing a build log here since I'm very partial to this [H]forum. Now I wasn't looking to start another build until Broadwell arrived but when I saw the thread for the NCASE M1, I knew I had to have it. The problem was that I had already missed 1st production.

I was pretty disappointed about it but then I saw techboydino's thread comparing the M1 against the Compact Splash, and of course, I ended up with one. It's unbelievable the amount of water cooling you can pack in such a small case. It shipped from Kyle (hereby referred to as "The Fabricator/ The Seller/ The God") and arrived at my doorstep packed extremely well. Upon unpacking, I was floored with the size of the case and could not wait to get it setup. When my friends came over to check out the Splash, they were shocked that so much watercooling/components could fit a case so small. The Splash however is not light by any means. My old Lian-li A05B was much lighter. The Splash is made of heavy 14 gauge steel and powder coated satin black.

Now, I initially planned to keep the Splash locked up in my closet until Broadwell was released but of course the itch started and here I am today. I've been out of the water cooling loop (did you see what I did there?:p) for a while now so I thought I would just throw a H100i on there and be done with it. The problem was that while I was figuring out my build, other Splash owners started posting up build logs and like some dumb retard, I subscribed to their threads and I pretty much got hooked. In the long run, the H100i wouldn't really make sense since the Splash is meant to display a full WC loop and I just wouldn't do it justice tossing in a AIO cooler in there. So after many many many hours of research, I've figured out the parts for my build.

I've been slowly accumulating parts for the last 3 months but I'm still waiting for another Microcenter deal on the 4770k and I'm also waiting for the rumored Silverstone SFX 600w PSU to surface so this build will be slow and ongoing. I've also been undecided with the 3 fans that I need but I'm leaning toward the NoiseBlocker eLoop B12-PS PWM instead of the legendary GT AP-15's because they look dead sexy.

Now for the budget aspect. This build will have a culmination of new and used gear as I'm not wealthy by any means. To date, this build is the most expensive I've ever undertaken so I set a budget of $2000 that I did not want to go over. The new case and water cooling parts alone ended up totaling $770 not including the GPU block so I was going to have to cut the corners somewhere. Due to the budget constraint, other than watercooling, most components were purchased used on here and OCN. the I copied/borrowed a lot of ideas (thanks Heuristic) from the numerous Compact Splash build threads on OCN, and thereby ended up with the culmination below.

Current Specs:
Case: Compact Splash #77 (Satin Black)
Processor: TBD
Motherboard Asus ROG Impact IV M-ITX
Ram: G.Skill TridentX 2x4GB DDR3-2400Mhz CL10
Graphics: EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G

Cooling:
Pump: Swiftech MCP355 DDC
CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Nickel/Plexi
GPU Block: EK GTX 780 Acetal/Copper w/ EK Backplate
Reservoir: EK DDC X-RES 100 CSQ - Acetal
Top Radiator: EK CoolStream PE 240mm
Bottom Radiator: EK CoolStream PE 120mm
Pump Heatsink: EK DDC Heatsink Housing - Black
Fittings: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings 3/8" x 5/8" Matte Black
Adapters: 5x Monsoon 90 Degree Rotaries, 2x Monsoon 45 Degree Rotaries Matt Black
Tubing: 5ft PrimoChill Advanced LRT 3/8" x 5/8" Clear
Fans: 3x NoiseBlocker eLoop B12-PS PWM
Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Ice White
Misc.: Primochill Vortex Flow Indicator (Clear)

Case Pics

IMG_1603.jpg

Front side with large fan grill

IMG_1604.jpg

Back Shot

IMG_1606.jpg

Angle Shot

IMG_1610.jpg

Angle Shot #2

IMG_1611.jpg

Obligatory soda can with no soda can so find something healthier shot:

IMG_1614.jpg

Side shot

IMG_1612.jpg

Last edited:
Main Components

I bought this used and it came in great condition. Again, I was astonished at the size of this mobo. This is my first time going ITX and I'm impressed with how much can be crammed on such a small PCB. This board has more features than my current board that is more than 3 times larger.

IMG_1626.jpg

Not much to say about this except that I bought this for cheap. It matches the above board.

IMG_1627.jpg

I initially wanted to get a AMD R9 290 (Go Team Red!!!) but then cryptomining took off and of course I was left in the dust. So I had to settle for this:

IMG_1599.jpg

It just so happened that this came with an installed EK waterblock to match my other EK water cooling components. I would have just settled for any GTX 780 that came with a water block but axiumone gave me a good deal and I was happy.

IMG_1594.jpg

I never really understood why so many people bought optional back plates for $30+ until now. This is my first GPU with a back plate and it's just smexy and completes the look.

IMG_1593.jpg

Water Cooling Components

Goodbye Petra's Top, ye served me well. I pulled this off of my little MCP355 that I've had for about 5 years. I can't believe the DDC is still such a viable pump. Although it doesn't have PWM control like the 35x, it's still a strong little pump.

IMG_1630.jpg

When I decided to water cool again after a long hiatus, I thought that 1/2 barbs fitted with 7/16 x 5/8 tubing using hose clamps were still the norm. Man was I humbled and overwhelmed by the choices in fittings nowadays. I spent so many hours on research to find the perfect fittings. Then these popped up on OCN for dirt cheap and the seller didn't even use them.

IMG_1575.jpg

Monsoon compression/rotary fittings in all their glory.

Fittings.jpg

Can you tell that I'm a big fan of EK?:D

IMG_1584.jpg

These I had to buy new since it's really hard to find all these components used in good condition.

IMG_1578.jpg

When I first started researching on water blocks, I was heavily leaning toward the XSPC Raystorm. For $50, I don't think there is a better bang for the buck block. I ended up with the EK Supremacy because it looks more elegant IMO.

IMG_1558.jpg

Now when I received the block, it was already installed with jet plate J3 so I needed to switch it out to J2 which is optimized for socket 1150. I blame poor quality control on EK's part installing the original J3 jet plate skewed and off center. It was very obvious incorrectly installed but since I was changing it anyway, it didn't matter. I even took of video of it but I didn't take any pics. Thanks quality control checker #31.

IMG_1563.jpg

Nevertheless, the Supremacy is a great looking block.

IMG_1568.jpg

I ordered the XSPC EX120 rad initially because it was the most commonly used rad for the CS, but then I saw Heuristic's build using the EK CoolStream PE's and I just had to have them.

IMG_1538.jpg

The PE's look similar to XSPC's RX series which I loved but couldn't fit in the Splash.

IMG_1539.jpg

The PE 240 was out of stock everywhere when I was looking for them in the beginning of February but Performance-PC's had a batch of 20 show up and I picked 1 up.

IMG_1536.jpg

I love the shrouded look of these radiators.

IMG_1537.jpg

These 90 degree rotary fittings are needed because of the lack of space in the Splash.

PE120.jpg

I also had to wait for Performance-PC's to have this in stock since it was OOS for a while.

IMG_1600.jpg

This is by far my favorite WC component. Underneath all that bling is the lowly MCP355.

IMG_1557.jpg

The X-Res 100 CSQ reservoir/pump top is the perfect companion to the Splash. It keeps the small footprint and has a anti-cyclone and anti-vortex insert included. I'll definitely be needing it for the DDC.

IMG_1543.jpg

The heatsink housing is made of aluminum but adds a lot of weight to the pump which is good. It also comes with rubber feet for quieter operation when the pump is running.

IMG_1546.jpg

Last edited:
So I removed the back panel to install the res/pump on.

IMG_1616.jpg

The Splash comes with a bracket for the DDC. Here is is installed.

IMG_1619.jpg

Installed in the case. The Splash uses all small black hex screws for a clean finish, but it's a mother uffin bitch to keep track of them. I already lost a SSD screw.

IMG_1624.jpg

Perched next to the mobo tray. Boy does it look every so lonely. Don't worry my precious, you'll have friends soon.;)

IMG_1621.jpg

Monsoon rotaries FTW :)

I agree, I love them. I know you've answered this a billion times but do you think I can get a decent overclock out of the 4770k with the Silverstone ST45SF-G? I'm looking to go 4.2 or 4.3ghz until the SFX 600w comes out. I just can't fathom dropping so much on water cooling not to overclock anything.

Side note: I just ordered 3 NoiseBlocker eLoops BS12-PS PWM for $94 shipped.:eek: GT AP-15's would have been only $60 shipped but they're in a dull gray which doesn't match my color scheme. I have never paid so much for fans before. I hope their worth it.

I know you've answered this a billion times but do you think I can get a decent overclock out of the 4770k with the Silverstone ST45SF-G? I'm looking to go 4.2 or 4.3ghz until the SFX 600w comes out. I just can't fathom dropping so much on water cooling not to overclock anything.

Easy. My i7-3770K @ 4.2GHz draws only 57W while folding. Probably Prime95 with AVX2 enabled will draw a bit more than that. Just make sure not to stress test the CPU and GPU at the same time.

Wow, your on here too? Compact Splash Brotherhood reunion on [H]Forum!!!:D

:cool: Damn right, I am, I couldn't miss this build log merely from a forum jump so yeah consider this a BROTHEHOOD reunion! :) ... I also have a long standing membership here too :eek:

Subbed. I'm pretty bummed that I won't be getting in on one of these sweet cases. Sure I could get one of the few remaining white ones, but I'd have to sell a kidney to afford it. Awesome build, I can't wait to see how it goes!

As of now, there is only 1 case left offered by SLE.

Yeah, sadly I'll definitely not be joining this brotherhood unless another run gets made or one of the current owners decides to part with theirs. Hell of a build though, I'll just have to live vicariously through Batmanwcm :D

Sorry for double posting!!!

Did you need a fitting riser/extension off the pump housing? I think I forgot to add that into my purchase list :(

wooooo, I'm here too :D

Woot, another CS Brotherhood member!! Love your build, I'm guessing you used Mayhems Pastel Ice White as well?

Subbed. I'm pretty bummed that I won't be getting in on one of these sweet cases. Sure I could get one of the few remaining white ones, but I'd have to sell a kidney to afford it. Awesome build, I can't wait to see how it goes!

If there is only 1 prototype left, you should hurry up and jump on it. I really don't think Kyle is going to make anymore of them. It looked like it took a lot out of him to produce the 105 cases. I definitely don't have the same amount of patience to see it through to the end. Kyle ran into a lot of problems and I was shocked that he was able to produce the last 85 after the mess with the first 20.

As of now, there is only 1 case left offered by SLE.

I'm jealous that you have 4 of them. I wish I could afford 1 of each color. I was debating on black or white for many days.

Yeah, sadly I'll definitely not be joining this brotherhood unless another run gets made or one of the current owners decides to part with theirs. Hell of a build though, I'll just have to live vicariously through Batmanwcm :D

You can always buy 1 from the 4 that Lutfij owns. I'm not sure if he is willing to part with it though.

Update: I received the SSD today and my fans shipped as well so I should get it sometime next week. The PSU is on it's way and should arrive tomorrow. Come on Microcenter, drop the price on the 4770k already.:(

Sorry for double posting!!!

Did you need a fitting riser/extension off the pump housing? I think I forgot to add that into my purchase list :(

If your talking about the EK X-RES 100 CSQ, then yes, you need to install an extension in the inlet port but it comes with it included so you don't need to buy it.

Side note: The CoolStream PE radiators also come with fitting extensions installed and from what I read, it's absolutely needed otherwise it will leak.

You can always buy 1 from the 4 that Lutfij owns. I'm not sure if he is willing to part with it though.

I lol'd at that statement...

An aggregate of 4 but 2 will go to 2 individuals, my clients and I'll be left with 2 and mind you I asked Kyle to not paint my cases. I'm yet thinking about going pearl white and charcoal/medium dark grey for my 2 cases. I think that should set my cases apart from the other 103 out there ... :)

Whats the price of an i7-4770K right about now?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

Last edited:
I lol'd at that statement...

An aggregate of 4 but 2 will go to 2 individuals, my clients and I'll be left with 2 and mind you I asked Kyle to not paint my cases. I'm yet thinking about going pearl white and charcoal/medium dark grey for my 2 cases. I think that should set my cases apart from the other 1003 out there ... :)

Whats the price of an i7-4770K right about now?

OIC, I'm still jealous because you have 1 more than me. Pearl white is my favorite color and that's what I always get my cars in. If Kyle offered a pearl white version, I would have definitely bought that.

The price at Microcenter vary. Last week it was $249.99 but it jumped to $269.99 this week. The price will change after 3/16 so it'll be a different price, hopefully in my favor.

I'm still pissed at myself that I didn't buy it when it went on sale for $199.99 because I didn't know about the Splash yet and wasn't ready for another build. I literally had it in my cart but couldn't pull the trigger. I'm a big slickdeals whore too, but I definitely didn't abide by the slickdeals motto, "buy now, think later".

You getting a processor around a $100 less than me has made me go double your jealousy level! Imagine $100, what can you get in excess with that money...mech keyboard? Oh yeah have you got a keyboard for this build or just reusing it?

Yeah, having Microcenter a 1.5 miles away from me has it's advantages. They have awesome deals on cpus and mobos but everything else is kind of pricey.

I'm selling the rig in my sig off to my friend but I'm reusing my Ducky Shine 2 White LED's w/ Cherry MX Blues. I absolutely love this keyboard and love annoying my family members every time I type.

I'll be sure to give you a knock when time comes for keyboard shopping. Would need the entire brotherhood's backing for it too :)

Yeah, I noticed the prices on microcenter however I wouldn't have had the same facility as you as my pal in the states is so busy he can pull online purchases :p still jealous though :D

OK, so I've been busy with a newborn and all and I'm still waiting for a deal on that elusive 4770k. (Come on Microcenter, drop the price already:mad:)

Just a couple of quick updates/product placement ads:D.

Thanks to Machupo for providing this to me w/ the Noiseblocker fan mod already done. Saves me some time from having to do it myself. Yes, I'm lazy like that.
IMG_1833.jpg

Machupo also included the PP05-E cables which are brand new. These cables are infinitely better than the cables that are included with the ST45SF-G.
IMG_1837.jpg

The fans have arrived. By far, the fans were the hardest decision for me to make. Never in all my years did I think I would buy a $29 fan. I mean, the last fans I bought were $5 Yate Loons D12SL-12 and they were awesome.
IMG_1850.jpg

I was surprised by how light the fans were. I thought they were going to have the same weight as my buddy's GT AP-15's which cost a lot less. I was slightly disappointed by that.
IMG_1853.jpg

Besides moving a good amount of air and being quiet, the main reason other geeks are buying them is that they look very puurrrty while cooling their radiators. If the Splash didn't have such large fan grills which showcase the fans, I would have ended up with some GT AP-15's.
IMG_1864.jpg

I can relate to your dilemma when you were purchasing fans...I thought the AP-15's were the most expensive fans(more expensive than my NB M12 fans) I got but alas there are fans higher than that. I'm also thinking about getting me 3 of the above and ditch the Swiftech helix route...though I'm yet juggling ideas hehehe and also the idea of my cases theme :p

On a similar note, are you going to do any cosmetic changes to your Splash?

Congrats on your child bro! - why are we getting to know this now ?!?!?!? :mad:

The eloops look nice but IMO are overpriced for what they are. If they didn't look so good, they wouldn't be getting the $29 from others. Have you at least decided on your color scheme for your Splashes?

I find the Splash perfect so I won't be making changes. To sum it up, I don't have the balls that you and WiSk have in modifying this beautiful case.

I've been super busy with the little one. She is my 2nd child so it's been hectic around the house. I'm sneaking a peek at hardforum here and there while my wife is away tending to the other kid.

Minor Update: I picked up some distilled water at Rite Aid and will be using it to flush the new radiators and clean up the GPU block a bit since it's used.

I also wanted to add that I'm a retard since I just found out that Black Mesa was available to download since 2012.:eek: I'm a huge HL fan and cannot believe I'm over a year late to such an awesome game. I'm downloading it now through Desura but I can't shake off that feeling that I'm such an idiot for not knowing. Next thing you know, someone here is going to tell me that HL3 came out 6 months ago.

Anyway, onto the random pics of accrued crap/product placement ads:

I picked this up for the same price as my 128GB Crucial M4 2 years ago.

IMG_1849.jpg

I actually came a little under budget by a couple of bucks so I decided to pick up some bling.

IMG_1873.jpg

The problem I have is that the included sprocket is white and the coolant I've chosen is also white so the cool spinning part won't be seen. Oh well, it still retains that bling factor.

IMG_1892.jpg

I don't have the balls that you and WiSk have in modifying this beautiful case.
hahaha - well bro, WiSK has all that glory, I'm not modifying my Splash physically, only cosmetically thus the graffiti and paint job route.

Back to the topic of your build log, those parts are looking the bomb and they will make your Splash a massive eye candy the moment your system is fired up! :)

I'm already imagining it with a crazy amount of light going through your case! Which brings me to ask, have you thought about internal case illumination?
:)

I was actually planning to reuse my NZXT LED kit that I have in my Phantom case but I also ordered this cold cathode kit as a backup just in case I didn't like how the LED's looked.

In a way, I kind of regret getting my case with the smoked acrylic window and wish I opted for the clear one so that it can showcase the water cooling more.

Did you receive your Splashes yet?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope, not yet. I assume SLE is assembling them as we speak. He has had a tough time and I don't want to rub it any further. Besides I've held him long enough with payments and now that I'm in the clear with no more debts with SLE, I think its fitting I give him his space and time until I receive my cases.

You could always knock on SLE for a secondary side panel or just take the side panel down to the hardware store to get a similarly sized panel cut out from acrylic...of your choice?

I'm kind of debating about people going with cold cathodes. I wonder if they are really worth that additional space consumption? Do they produce more illumination than LED's? :)

I already hit him up but he ran out of the clear side panels so I'll just have to make do.

Cold cathode kits diffuse light more evenly than LED's so it doesn't look like a Christmas tree. I'm still not sure whether to reuse my old LED kit or not.

Some Updates:

Microcenter finally dropped the price of the 4770k, probably because of the impending Haswell refresh release.

IMG_2201.jpg

Obligatory box pics of all parts being installed.

IMG_2146.jpg

Side pic of above. I'm looking forward to cramming all this hardware into that itty bitty case.

IMG_2200.jpg

CPU is finally home.:D

IMG_2213.jpg

Full shot of CPU on the motherboard. It's my 1st time going ITX and this form factor confounds me. I can't believe they can pack so many features into such a small PCB.

IMG_2211.jpg

I failed to take a pic of these beauties before. Love the matching color scheme.

IMG_2218.jpg

Test fitted with the stock IHS.

IMG_2224.jpg

For water cooling builds, it's imperative to do a test boot to ensure that everything works before installing the waterblocks.

IMG_2228.jpg

It's ALIVE!!!!!

IMG_2230.jpg

Removed IHS. Nothing RiteAid isopropyl 91% alcohol can't take are of.:eek:

IMG_2235.jpg

Back plate installed.

IMG_2240.jpg

Standoffs installed and TIM applied. I'm glad the water block came with Gelid GC extreme. It saved me from having to buy new TIM.

IMG_2248.jpg

Block installed. Bling bling.:)

IMG_2252.jpg

Tasty mug shots mate!

I suppose the hardware store would be a better idea for your side panel right about now. Compact Splashes venture from SLE's hands will be drawing to a close. Might want to give him a knock and see if he has something you could use for future builds :)

Removed IHS. Nothing RiteAid isopropyl 91% alcohol can't take are of.:eek:

IMG_2235.jpg

Back plate installed.

IMG_2240.jpg

Standoffs installed and TIM applied. I'm glad the water block came with Gelid GC extreme. It saved me from having to buy new TIM.

IMG_2248.jpg

Block installed. Bling bling.:)

IMG_2252.jpg

That is a nice looking motherboard....

Damn that is one sexy water block for the CPU, nice build man I will defiantly be following this thread, you've also given me some ideas for my upcoming M1 build with all the liquid cooling stuff the only thing I'm not sure about is the backplate for the CPU looks terrible but I doubt it matters since no one will see it

Back