Needing help with a water-cooling solution.

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Complete water-cooling noob here. I currently have a Corsair H100i cooling a 4770k and a EVGA 780ti Kingpin on its stock cooler. The H100i has the noisy pump so I am going to return it. I am going to go ahead and setup a traditional water-cooling system but I have no idea where to begin. Looking through the different setups the EK stuff looks the best but again - I don't know anything about them. Need some direction. What size of tubing, ect... I don't want to buy a lot of things I don't need. I am planning on adding another 780ti soon as well. Anyone care to help me build a shopping list?

Current build is located HERE.

System:
Intel Core i7-4770K (picking up at Microcenter)
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N
beQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 850W
LG Bluray burner

Using the following existing parts:

16gb - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel 525 Series Lincoln Crest mSATA 240GB SATA III
1 - 1tb WD Black HDD

Are you going to add your GPU(s) to the loop ?
Basically you will need a pump, a mcp35x or 655, a reservoir(optional but convenient), A radiator(size will depen if you want to add GPU in loop), prob. 1\2 ID 3\8 OD tubing, same size barbs or compression fittings, CPU block(xspc raystorm)

I would get a xspc Rx 360 rad then. You can also get a res/pump combo like the bitspower ones. If your going SLI, your prob gonna need to add a 120 or 240 rad with the 360

Would the RX 240 be enough to cool them? I don't think the RX 360 will fit.

A 2x120 is the most that will fit in the DS Cube. An RX can potentially cool everything, but not quietly under load. You're looking at using fans above 1500 RPM in push/pull to keep temps under control, and I don't think you can fit push/pull with a thick radiator.

First and foremost, does a thick radiator have any chance of hitting the GPUs? If not, you can go as thick as you want. If it does, measure how much room you have.

On my way to class but I think if it was much thicker than the H100i it would hit the BR drive. Might be looking for a new case too...

The general rule is 120mm rad per thing you want to cool.

I cool my 7990 with a 240mm rad and that's effectively 2 * 7970s.

240mm will cool your rig, thicker and high fin density will help get better cooling.

But if you want it quite you may want to get a better case and have more rads.

EK are good for CPU blocks, but I would stay away from them for GPU blocks (quality control issues), aquacomputers tend to make the best GPU blocks.

Then you're not going to get good enough cooling performance to justify water over air. Your best bet would be to use a Black Ice GTS radiator with 2000+ RPM fans, and those fans aren't quiet (though they may sound better than GPU fans spinning at 3000+ RPM).

Got any recommendations for a case? Smaller the better. Going to stuff another 780ti in there too.

Caselabs Mercury S5. Top 360 radiator and front 240 radiator.

That case looks badass but expensive! I just found a steal on a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (the case I originally was going to buy before deciding to go small). I don't think I will have anymore room issues.

You will find there's never enough room when it comes to watercooling ;)

Haha you did say you don't want any RADS to be outside, but yea never a bad idea to have extra room

I would go with a single RX120 for the CPU. Depending on the case you can mount it on the back. then a RX240 for the 2 GPU's. Good to keep them separate if possible. The RX radiators seem to be well regarded by everyone and have to be among the best, if not the best. For CPU I'd use Raystorm block very good performance and price. I'd also use 3/8" tubing just b/c ease of use/ installation vs very limited benefits for using 1/2".

There is absolutely no reason for separate loops in a small system.

3/8" ID 1/2" OD is fine, but I would go with 3/8" ID 5/8" OD. The extra thickness allows you to make tighter bends without kinking.

Another option is to go acrylic.

I believe you can use the existing backplate, only a few 770s came with backplates which is why they sell their own.

Personally I use 1\2 ID 3\4 OD tubing

Last edited:
You would actually find it easier to sell if you either got 3/8 ID 5/8 OD or 1/2 ID 3/8 OD if you ever plan to sell your WC gear but I've been running 3/8 ID 1/2 OD for two water cooled systems, no problems with kinks.

I don't plan on selling but does it make a difference on cooling? Also, is FrozenCPU the best place to order this type of stuff? I know their shipping seemed really high when I bought a G10 from them.

No, it has no real effect on cooling.

FrozenCPU and PerformancePCs are the best places to buy if you cannot find it anywhere else. If you can find it at other smaller stores (Koolertek, Sidewinder Computers, Jab-tech), their prices are generally cheaper.

As far as I know, reference 780, 780ti, and Titans all share the same PCB. So it should work.

Aquacomputer makes top-notch blocks.

If I wanted a pump/reservoir combo any recommendations? Going in a Corsair Air 540.

Bay reservoir. I was looking at the Monsoon Series Two DDC Premium Dual 5.25” Reservoir - Red and a Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T combo.

The RX360 does not come with fans or mounting hardware? Right? How many fittings do I need?

Also, one last question - maybe. I was reading that a CPU and two GPU's would have trouble cooling on one radiator. I don't think it will be an issue until I get a second GPU but was wanting to plan ahead. Will 2 RX360's fit inside the case and how the hell do I connect all this up - correctly... :p

The Alphacool Repack reservoirs are quite nice, so are the XSPC ones. Monsoon ones are good too, though I would suggest going with the D5 version rather than the DDC.

A 360 radiator is enough to cool a CPU and two GPUs. Whoever said that does not know what he's talking about. It all depends on the size and design of said radiator. For example, a 560 radiator (4x140) has significantly more cooling potential than 2 240 radiators, given the same design.

2 fittings per independent component if they don't come with fittings. Radiators don't usually come with fans. Mounting hardware is usually included for at least one side of fans.

Well, crap. Didn't see your message prior to ordering. Here is what I have ended up with so far. Care to help me figure out a tubing diagram? Going to go ahead and use both radiators since there is a 20% restocking fee.

• 10 x XSPC G1/4" to 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black Chrome Finish
  • 1 x XSPC RayStorm Intel Faceplate - Red
  • 2 x XSPC RX360 Triple-Fan Radiator V3 - Black
  • 1 x Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T
  • 1 x XSPC Raystorm CPU/APU Copper Waterblock - Intel
  • 1 x Monsoon Series Two DDC Premium Dual 5.25” Reservoir - Red
  • 1 x PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Pearl UV Orange
  • 1 x Aquacomputer Kryographics for GTX 780 Ti Black Edition

What else do I need? Fans & coolant? Thanks for all the help!

edit: Noobs Water-cooling diagram. How bad did I (or would I have) mess it up?

Last edited:
Pump -> GPU -> CPU -> top radiator -> bottom radiator -> pump.

Loop order does not matter. Make the run as clean as possible.

Just use distilled water? The pump has 2 silver plugs installed to prevent build up.

Should I add a drain to the loop? Thanks again for all your help!

It's your choice really. If you want to add it for ease of use, go ahead. I don't use a drain and have gotten by just fine, just have to be extra careful.

Final parts layout:

• 10 x XSPC G1/4" to 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black Chrome Finish
  • 1 x XSPC RayStorm Intel Faceplate - Red
  • 2 x XSPC RX360 Triple-Fan Radiator V3 - Black
  • 1 x Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T
  • 1 x XSPC Raystorm CPU/APU Copper Waterblock - Intel
  • 1 x Monsoon Series Two DDC Premium Dual 5.25” Reservoir - Red
  • 1 x PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Pearl UV Orange
  • 1 x Aquacomputer Kryographics for GTX 780 Ti Black Edition

Added :

• 6x Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan
  • PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. x 5/8in. Tubing (10ft pack) - Bloodshed Red (changed from the UV Orange - didn't look like I thought it would)
  • Koolance G1/4" Brass Inline Drain Valve Fitting - 4 Port
  • 2x XSPC G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD Low Profile Compression Fitting - Black Chrome

I believe I am all set. Hopefully. :D

Keep in mind in some areas it is better to get 45 or 90 degree angled fittings which will be easier so you won't kink your tubes

Back