“Introduction to Linux” Course Will be Free and Online This Summer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Have you ever felt left out because you never actually took the time to ‘really learn’ Linux or simply didn’t have the money for a formal class? Well this summer you have run out of excuses why you aren’t certified.

This introductory class, which usually costs $2,400, will be the first from the Linux Foundation to run as a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). There is no limit on enrollment through edX's platform.

Have you ever felt left out because you never actually took the time to ‘really learn’ Linux or simply didn’t have the money for a formal class? Well this summer you have run out of excuses why you aren’t certified.

Damn what ever happened to buying a book and reading it and then downloading a distro and getting some hands on. :rolleyes:

The same thing that happened to a helpful Linux community free of condescending dickbags ;)

Because its sooo easy to be a prick when a nOOb starts a thread on a nix forum asking for info that's covered in a sticky they never even bothered to read.;)
I can understand if someone doesn't understand and needs a more in depth explanation, but those people need to say they didn't understand the directions not just say "how do I?" then get backlash because it sounds like they never bothered to look for an answer before asking.

I think part of that elitist attitude comes from most of the people that know Linux sat down and learned themselves without asking questions (sometimes for fun, sometimes just to learn something new and different, sometimes because they really are anti-social assholes), so they feel others should be able to as well.
I love Ubuntu on my laptop, I really do. It took a little getting used to but the best way to learn is just to dive in and get your hands dirty 99% of the time.
That being said, I'd love to learn more and get a better understanding how Linux works so this free class is a god send for me.:D

Wasn't $2400 stretching it a bit? :eek::rolleyes:

Considering Dell charges $30 for a Firefox install....
No.
Seemed like yesterday I fell out of my chair laughing when my neighbor spent $4k on a Windows 2000 Pro/ Server certification class and didn't learn anything you couldn't have figured out in a month just using the software yourself.

Nice but most people using a Linux distro nowadays can do pretty much everything from the GUI. I think lime can be better spent learning other things. I mean, how many people are trying to learn ms power shell or dos? Console commands are almost not necessary unless you are remotely controlling something over a terminal.

MIT has a bunch of classes on YouTube as well, they are not easy to follow...

people use Linux? lol

ANYTHING out of multimedia is a much better experience on Linux/Unix. While I prefer to use Windows at home in my casual time, I would hate to use Windows in my data collection intensive job environment.

The console/terminal/command line in Linux is a marvel of computing. Windows is pale.

Also, most Linux/Unix/OS X distros come with Perl & Ruby already installed. Both very powerfull languages for manipulating data. Again, not much good for multimedia content, but excellent at what they can do.

nice!

westrock2000, sure linux is great but most people can barely remember how to use notepad let alone 100's of CLI commands.

nice!

westrock2000, sure linux is great but most people can barely remember how to use notepad let alone 100's of CLI commands.

linux isn't for most people.... (unless you count android)... probably won't be for a long time, if ever

Nice but most people using a Linux distro nowadays can do pretty much everything from the GUI. I think lime can be better spent learning other things. I mean, how many people are trying to learn ms power shell or dos? Console commands are almost not necessary unless you are remotely controlling something over a terminal.

Not learning CLI on Linux is intentionally avoiding the single most massively powerful software tool Linux offers.

most powerful that %99 of people will not use is the issue.

Those who would use it already know how to use it..

How many windows users use cmd / powershell....

point is if you ever want the "year of linux on the desktop" accept the fact the CLI does not play into that and that GUI will be the main interface used.

most powerful that %99 of people will not use is the issue.

Those who would use it already know how to use it..

How many windows users use cmd / powershell....

point is if you ever want the "year of linux on the desktop" accept the fact the CLI does not play into that and that GUI will be the main interface used.

Holy fucking terrible comparisons, Batman.

Besides whoever said I wanted "the year of linux on the desktop"? Why should I give a shit what other people use.

CLI is the most single powerful *nix tool around. It doesn't matter what the hell the GUI is or is not...nor does it matter what distribution I'm using...hell I could be using OSX or Debian. The CLI commands are universal. That is why it is so powerful, and that is why your comparison to windows is so...well....fucking terrible.

I've always wanted to learn Linux, even installed Ubuntu at one point just to see the look of it. That was like 8 years ago, so I'm excited and will definitely take this class.

Well as a programmer who uses both nix and windows, I personally hate how inefficient the command line is compared to scripted utilities. That said without the command line none of those would exist.

Compare what you can do with system internals programs to trying to pull data through the command line good luck.

About the only thing I think I use the command line for on windows is troubleshooting network connections.

On nix there may something similar but usually it is written for a distro other than the one you happen to be using...

Well as a programmer who uses both nix and windows, I personally hate how inefficient the command line is compared to scripted utilities. That said without the command line none of those would exist.

Compare what you can do with system internals programs to trying to pull data through the command line good luck.

About the only thing I think I use the command line for on windows is troubleshooting network connections.

On nix there may something similar but usually it is written for a distro other than the one you happen to be using...

To be fair, the degree to which you can get stuff done (easily) via a CLI script in unix vs. windows is staggeringly different. Windows scripting is what it is because you can't get around the GUI 100%. I'd also argue that disabled access comes into it. Trying to make the windows GUI accessible to assistive tools made it accessible to a all sorts of automation.

I remember back when I got into the industry and worked in unix, dos and windows, and unix blew everything out of the water in terms of scripting stuff. I might not be working with enough info, but even today, it's pretty full featured, just different. A lot of that different though seems to be that automation tools for windows more often parallel the user experience than in unix, especially for test suites.

While the course is free, they'll be charging extra for the ever-present condescending smugness from the Linux community I'm sure.

Hmm as a programmer and primary system administrator for my department I use both linux and windows daily. Windows for 17 years. Linux almost 15 years. On both windows and linux I do quite a bit of my work via the command line / shell. I almost never have a situation at work where there is not at least a few cmd windows open and a half dozen putty sessions to my linux servers.

While the course is free, they'll be charging extra for the ever-present condescending smugness from the Linux community I'm sure.

Nope, that's free too! Just go ask a question on any Linux forum. They are pretty good at the free condescending smug 'answers' (RTFMan page, noob!).

There are a few people out there that genuinely like to help with Linux. But, most other people think they are the best, leet haxor bad ass mofo because they use Linux.

I don't expect hand holding, but after spending 3 hours on something, reading forums of people having similar issues, man pages, trying various things (guessing), and not finding a solution - yea, I'll ask. Linux users don't ask questions, apparently. They just "know". :/

If you actually go for the certification there is a note of a minimal fee. but couldn't find information on it. Will look for it more later.

This looks quite intresting. I have delved into linux but never really deep.

The base cost is 250 though they ask for more. You can ask for the honor version which is free but I could not figure out how they decide if you get it.

Back