Texting And Walking More Risky Than Distracted Driving

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study shows that if you text while you walk, you deserve to be run over by someone who is texting and driving.

Texting while walking accounts for more injuries per mile than distracted driving, according to a professor of emergency medicine who says he's treating a skyrocketing number of pedestrian injury cases.

Natural selection wins!:D

Gotta love the thought of texting drivers flipping out and plowing intro telephone poles a split second after mowing down a texting walker lingering in the middle of the road.

There is that app that lets you use the camera as a video backdrop while you text.
This is of limited value though unless you bump into lamp posts, it doesnt give you eyes in your ears, the back of your head or make you concentrate on your surroundings.
So yep, those stupid enough not to take care in dangerous surroundings...

Sometimes I may even stop walking when I need to text someone.

i love not moving out of the way of people texting and walking and not paying attention, especially here in CR where i tower over most people (i'm 6'4, most people are 5'5 at most..)

Human intelligence did a slow climb to peak in about 1995, then has gone down a pretty steep cliff since.

I see people looking down with their eyes glued to their phones all the time.
My neighbor walks her dog with her eyes pointed down at her phone the whole time.
Today I saw a middle aged man walk down the crosswalk of a busy street with his eyes glued to the phone the whole time.

They're just asking to get run over.
and more importantly, they look like retarded drones walking like that.

Clearly the only safe place to send texts is lying in bed.

It's not that bad, but the middle of the street is prolly just not the right place to answer or respond to a text message.
Except for the super humans anyway. I am sure one will stop by that can "multitask" to the point where they can text on two phones at the same time, while drunk, riding a unicycle in heavy traffic watching a movie on their Google Glass.:p

Another issue is that while texting in the street, you are likely to be holding your phone in a way that makes it easy to grab and will be less aware of someone who is about to steal it.
With your head bowed down you stand out as well, so make a very easy target with a small but expensive gadget.
This situation has to be a thiefs dream.

Not to mention that a bruised knee or forehead from walking into a pole is a whole different league of accident from crashing at 50mph.
Why would you only be going 50mph? Clearly if you text and drive you ought to be pushing 80mph minimum.

i love not moving out of the way of people texting and walking and not paying attention, especially here in CR where i tower over most people (i'm 6'4, most people are 5'5 at most..)

+1

It's one of my guilty pleasures also :D

I actually had one of said texters apologize to me the other day for almost running into me, and not just a "hows it going" type of meaningless response either, surprised the hell out of me as you don't see that too often. (which would give me a bit more empathy for texters if they did that more often)

One time I was sitting at a red light in my car when a guy walked into the front of my car because he was texting and walking (and obviously not watching where he was walking). He gave me this look like it was my fault; told him to get the fuck off my car.

I have personally wheelchaired a person into a hospital emergency room who had tripped on a curb outside said hospital while texting and split her face open. That was a lot of blood.

I have personally wheelchaired a person into a hospital emergency room who had tripped on a curb outside said hospital while texting and split her face open. That was a lot of blood.

Face/head cuts bleed like hell don't they.

Nothing she isn't used to though. oh snap :p

Back