Sony Closing Two Thirds Of Its US Stores, 1,000 Jobs Lost

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Electronics today announced plans to restructure its organization to maintain its competitiveness in an evolving consumer electronics market. In line with Sony Corporation's Feb. 6 earnings announcement outlining an estimated headcount reduction of roughly 5,000 employees globally, Sony Electronics confirmed a total staff reduction of one-third by the end of the calendar year, affecting approximately 1,000 employees across all sites. In addition, in an effort to further streamline costs and continue focus on existing partner relations, Sony announced the closure of 20 U.S. Sony Stores.

Welp both Sony stores near me in VA are closing. Think they will have any good deals?

Huh. Didn't even knew Sony had it's own stores. Maybe that was part of their problem.

Have to agree with Skripka on this one. I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a Sony store.

All the Sony stores I've been to were remarkably empty every time I've seen them. I'm surprised they've been open this long actually.

I've bought refurbished items at Sony stores at great prices...but there aren't many of them around to begin with. They tend to be tucked into outlet malls.
The most famous one is probably the one in Caesar's Palace and I don't think they even sell refurbished goods in there.

If sony actually bumped up their quality to where it should be, we wouldn't be talking about this. Also, sony only stores were so poorly advertised.

If Sony was such an anti-consumer and vile company they might not be have these issues.

I for one am happy they are suffering.

Sony Store near me closed years ago. If I was going to buy a $2700 special edition laptop I might have got one there. Oh wait buying a crazy expensive laptop with terrible driver support that cant even game would be stupid...

I've heard of these.. my grandpaw told me stories of how he would go to the sony store and pay retail for items that aren't worth the discounted online prices.

Sony Store near me closed years ago. If I was going to buy a $2700 special edition laptop I might have got one there. Oh wait buying a crazy expensive laptop with terrible driver support that cant even game would be stupid...
The Sony Style store at the shopping center here closed a few years ago too. Every time I went there, all they had was the expensive ES home theater products and those specialty laptops too, advertising them to be able to fit into a purse or jacket pocket. Not hard to see how it had less business than the Bose store.

If sony actually bumped up their quality to where it should be, we wouldn't be talking about this. Also, sony only stores were so poorly advertised.

I would say the quality is there. But the consumer today is usually only worried about the price. It's why virtually every Japanese electronics manufacture is losing money in TVs or in consumer devices. When you have a $1500 Sony or Sharp sitting next to a $500 Hisense the average buyer is going to go for the Hisense because it all looks the same to them, even if technically the Hisense is in the stone ages tech wise.

Back