CUDA By the Numbers: 270+ Apps and Counting

HardOCP News

[H] News
There are 275 CUDA-based applications tuned to run on GPU accelerators, compared with 90 just three years ago. Most of these applications are household names for researchers and engineers, used every day to accelerate scientific discoveries and engineering results. It’s a list that keeps growing. Some numbers:

• 738: University CUDA programming courses worldwide
  • 50,000: CUDA-based academic papers published
  • 2,200,000: Downloads of the CUDA toolkit to date
  • 506,000,000: CUDA-capable GPUs shipped worldwide

270+ apps and I can't find a single x264 CUDA encoder. AWESOME!
There are plenty of H.264 encoders that use CUDA although last time i checked you can't use high profile in hardware accelerated encoding. Just because you can't find one that specifically uses the x264 library that's a deal breaker, did you even check for that?

article said:
If you watched the Sochi Olympics on your smartphone or tablet, you’ll probably experience Elemental Technology’s CUDA-powered streaming application. With NVIDIA GPUs, the Elemental Live service can encode 3x more video streams using one-third less energy, helping the company to deliver high-performance feeds to millions simultaneously around the globe.[/url]

It seems like they are including phone/tablet apps in this total now, which is probably representative of most if not all of this increase. 275 still doesn't really seem like that many, especially considering how much of that total is probably phone apps.

There are plenty of H.264 encoders that use CUDA although last time i checked you can't use high profile in hardware accelerated encoding. Just because you can't find one that specifically uses the x264 library that's a deal breaker, did you even check for that?

I can't find any free or cheap H.264 or X.264 encoders that use CUDA. Nvidia had one but they discontinued it. Nvidia does have an SDK but I'm not going to sit down and program one from scratch, I don't have the skill or the time so, in that sense I do blame myself. However, I'm kind of surprised NVIDIA doesn't have some kind of common CUDA software suite for video encoding decoding, audio encoding decoding, etc...

275 still doesn't really seem like that many, especially considering how much of that total is probably phone apps.
It's not that kind of list. The list is a collection of desktop productivity, HPC simulation and analysis software and software libraries: http://www.nvidia.com/object/gpu-applications.html

Counting all applications which use the libraries will give a much higher number than 275. But I don't see any phone apps listed, so I'm wondering why you posted that. My guess is you didn't click the link. :p

Back