WD Debuts Surveillance-Class Hard Drive Line

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company and storage industry leader, today announced the availability of WD Purple™, a purpose-built line of 3.5-inch, high-capacity hard drives for surveillance applications. Designed specifically for video surveillance units, WD Purple hard drives excel in new and existing home and small business security environments with up to eight hard drives and up to 32 high-definition (HD) video cameras. Shipping today, WD Purple hard drives are available in capacities from 1 TB up to 4 TB.

Their most popular customer of these hard drives in 6 months: National Security Administration. :p

(And, your local liquor store.)

I don't see why they needed a full line for this. I have had a WD Black drive recording video surveillance for years with no hickups.

Same drive, different sticker, higher price? What makes these so much different than the other enterprise class HDD's?

It's just another drive that takes sustained writes 24/7. Something a typical server drive would do just fine.

I do not think this is an enterprize class hard drive. I mean it would be cheap for that. I pay nearly $200 US for 2TB enterprize drives.

This is just a marketing ploy. WD is still in government pockets around the world. :D

Don't knock on just WD, Seagate just put out their version of this as well.

I can't wait until they release the WD Orange line!

Don't knock on just WD, Seagate just put out their version of this as well.

Yea, well Seagate sucks and they can make fun of themselves. Just give them 2 weeks, and the failure rate will do all the work for them.... (I hate Seagate. I have a stack of drives dead as doornails.)

Maybe now surveillance companies will stop putting FUCKING GREENS IN THEIR BUNDLES. I hate having to explain to someone why their surveillance DVR crashed.

So, WD Blue + WD Red = WD Purple?

Kai said:
I can't wait until they release the WD Orange line!

First they would need to release a WD Yellow, which would be a Green modified the other direction from a Blue. Then combine Red and Yellow, to get... I'm not sure what an Orange would be.

So, WD Blue + WD Red = WD Purple?

First they would need to release a WD Yellow, which would be a Green modified the other direction from a Blue. Then combine Red and Yellow, to get... I'm not sure what an Orange would be.

Yellow are enterprise class drives,

Back