Steam liteCam Video Capture Utility

HardOCP News

[H] News
liteCam 100FPS Game Capture is a next-gen game recording software for Steam users. ‘liteCam 100FPS Game Capture’ has a minimal impact on actual game performance while recording and can record up to 100 FPS. You can record most DirectX 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and OpenGL games such as League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, Need for Speed, GTA , Grid 2 and many more pc games with no lag.

So would it limit your game to be played at 100 fps?
No it can capture up to 100fps. Which is an irrelevant number to those of us who run game streams, as typically all streams including 1080p are limited to around 30 fps. We do that because it allows us to max quality without consuming retarded amounts of upload.

No it can capture up to 100fps. Which is an irrelevant number to those of us who run game streams, as typically all streams including 1080p are limited to around 30 fps. We do that because it allows us to max quality without consuming retarded amounts of upload.

As useless as it seems I welcome anything that performs better than FRAPS. FRAPing something like BF4 or COD~ is like pulling teeth.

"20 FPS is a default FPS in game recording mode, but you can choose above 30 FPS if you have higher performing system"

This if a fraps replacement, not for streaming. I've never used fraps but assuming its used for recording and not actual streaming.

It uses the RSCC codec so you need to export it to use and is limited to FAT & 4Gb files.

Open broadcaster software is a good free replacement. Despite it's name, It can record to file and encode using Intel Quick Sync and offer minimal performance hit. It even goes up to 120fps. And then there's always ShadowPlay / NVENC.

Afterburner has 120fps, Intel QuickSync, Nvidia ShadowPlay and AMD VCE support. All for the low price of $0. Gotta say MSI is awesome for funding it.

It uses the RSCC codec so you need to export it to use and is limited to FAT & 4Gb files.

Who streams to a regular FAT filesystem when gaming? FAT filesystems these days are only used on USB drives and other removable media like sd cards and that's where the 4GB limit comes from, everyone running Windows on a desktop is using NTFS, so the 4GB limit doesn't exist.

I used to use the paid version of FRAPS for its pre-record feature and high image quality but with the latest beta version of MSI Afterburner adding support for 64-bit games, I don't really see a reason to use anything but Afterburner.

Advantages of Afterburner off the top of my head:
  • It's FREE!
  • You can choose both the recording framerate and a framerate cap for the game as a multiple of the recording framerate (record at 60 fps but render at 120 fps for example).
  • You can set a pre-record buffer limited by either time or file size or both (whichever is reached first).
  • You can buffer to a configurable amount of RAM rather than to disk, meaning there's no requirement for high-RPM hard disks or RAID setups to get good performance,
  • Support for hardware-accelerated H.264 encoding via Intel Quick Sync, AMD VCE or nVidia NVENC, with configurable quality and bitrates up to 50 Mbps (variable).
  • Support for VfW compatible encoders of your choice, including the lossless Lagarith and HuffYUV encoders (though your mileage may vary in terms of performance since this will eat CPU cycles).
  • Optional dedicated encoding server that lets you buffer to a specified amount of RAM without consuming any of the RAM reserved for the game itself.
  • A large number of 16:10 and 16:9 downscaling options so you can record in whatever your target resolution may be if you intend to upload without editing and re-encoding.

In my experience encoding with Intel Quick Sync is crazy fast and can handle high resolutions, while AMD VCE is rather slow and only goes up to 1080p. From what I've read, nVidia NVENC is pretty nippy but also limited to 1080p.

The best thing about it is, if you have a dedicated GPU and an Intel CPU with integrated graphics, you can trick Windows into enabling the Intel iGPU on a "phantom" monitor output, and thus use the Intel Quick Sync hardware encoder while the game is still rendered on your dedicated GPU, meaning you can record in high quality/bitrate H.264 with almost no performance hit. I would however recommend overclocking the integrated GPU and using high speed RAM (2133 MHz or faster) to avoid bottlenecks with this setup, since the iGPU uses your system RAM as VRAM, which is obviously nowhere near as fast as the DDR5 on dedicated GPUs.

OBS is free and does 120fps.

Once you start to introduce extra scenes and sources, your FPS will plummet.

If you are already doing 200 FPS in a game, then 100 FPS is nothing, unless you have a 120-144hz display. In that case you should be using OSB.

If you can only maintain 60 FPS, this app will easily drop it to 50 if not less.

https://obsproject.com

any competition to fraps is welcome. fraps is good - the quality is excellent and it works most of the time, but the file size is obscene and there is pretty much no further development going on which sucks.

I prefer my Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket
There no performance hit
Can be used on other gaming device

I don't understand why this is being advertised:

The self-description of the title on Steam is just bad, a 7th grader could write a more coherent and grammatically proper description.

The software crashes a lot. Just read the forum threads.

There are better, free alternatives like OBS that perform way better.

i wonder how it compares to http://store.steampowered.com/app/237370/

i know play claw didnt work with enb, and it made me sad.

i cant find proof that this will work with skyrim enb :(

Never had any issue with Playclaw. Never found anything it didn't work with. No experience with skyrim enb, but have used other enb mods (homecoming) and had zero issues. Have used with Skyrim + SKSE and the outdated 4gb executable.

Have tried lots of capture programs/hardware and Playclaw is easily the best. Frame independent and more minimal performance footprint than FRAPS. Much better image quality than h264 capture solutions.

You can't find proof that it will work with skyrim enb? Why wouldn't it?

I can't find proof that FRAPS will work when my dishwasher is running...

I prefer my Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket
There no performance hit
Can be used on other gaming device

Zero performance hit, huge plus as well as capture on other devices. Image quality, huge minus. h264 isn't really a 'speedy' codec and isn't great for capture applications. It is simply licensable and standardized and therefore usable in commercial products.

Never had any issue with Playclaw. Never found anything it didn't work with. No experience with skyrim enb, but have used other enb mods (homecoming) and had zero issues. Have used with Skyrim + SKSE and the outdated 4gb executable.

Have tried lots of capture programs/hardware and Playclaw is easily the best. Frame independent and more minimal performance footprint than FRAPS. Much better image quality than h264 capture solutions.

You can't find proof that it will work with skyrim enb? Why wouldn't it?

I can't find proof that FRAPS will work when my dishwasher is running...

Because the playclaw wont "hook" to the enb dll

I read plenty of reviews and they all said playclaw offered great resolution and fps, so i bought it to make a few skyrim videos. Turns out that it cant record skyrim with the enb mod.

While i admit i was really impressed by playclaw's performance, it still couldnt do the one thing i wanted it to do.

A Reference:
http://playclaw.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3782-bug-with-skyrim-modded/

Dxtory is hands down the best capture software available right now.
Dxtory would deserve the headline much more than liteCam does. I agree, it's hands down the fastest and most stable frame grabber out there. Dxtory+FMLE was a very, very good combo for a long time.

Back