Inventor Says He Can Speed Cell Data 1,000-Fold

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this was coming from any one else but this guy, I'd call B.S. right off the bat.

Perlman — the iconic Silicon Valley inventor best known for selling his web TV company to Microsoft for half a billion dollars — started work on this new-age cellular technology a decade ago, and on Wednesday morning, he’ll give the first public demonstration at Columbia University in New York, his alma mater. Previously known as DIDO, the technology is now called pCell — short for “personal cell” — and judging from the demo Perlman gave us at his lab in San Francisco last week, it works as advertised, streaming video and other data to phones with a speed and a smoothness you’re unlikely to achieve over current cell networks.

I can already hear the carriers developing outrageous new pricing tiers.

“In business, there is money in scarcity,”

my first thought as well

So your phone acts as a cell tower.

As if battery life wasn't bad enough.

Division of InterLoping Digital Operations. Glad they changed the name.

Not going to go too far. ISP's and carriers are putting the choke hold on bandwidth. I'd love to see the guy tell people it's extremely cheap and easy to implement. That's not what the carriers want to hear.

Super fast speeds, itty bitty caps.

http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf

^^ how it works, actually explained

And, here’s the really amazing part: what each user receives is what they would have received if they had the channel to themselves, without another user sharing the same spectrum. There is no
interference from the other user. Each user is able to utilize the full Shannon Limit of the channel.

the wireless client doesnt really do anything different than it currently does; just decode the signal. the only additional requirements would be the addition of the "DIDO data center" to process the requests, and i would imagine the wireless nodes (your access point) would need to be aware of its physical (GPS) location for efficient routing by the "DIDO data center" router.

its basically a centrally managed wireless grid network, but decentralized from individual carriers/companies/customers/ISPs. the real invention in it is the mechanism to do that. next, there will need to be a security discussion on what shifting the control does.

Even if it does get implemented, it will take so long to get to market that by the time it does it won't seem like a big step.

Perlman is doing this to sell the tech. Period. It will not go into current implementions.

Basically, if we see implementation, let alone widespread use of this, I'll be stunned.

http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf

^^ how it works, actually explained

the wireless client doesnt really do anything different than it currently does; just decode the signal. the only additional requirements would be the addition of the "DIDO data center" to process the requests, and i would imagine the wireless nodes (your access point) would need to be aware of its physical (GPS) location for efficient routing by the "DIDO data center" router.

its basically a centrally managed wireless grid network, but decentralized from individual carriers/companies/customers/ISPs. the real invention in it is the mechanism to do that. next, there will need to be a security discussion on what shifting the control does.

thank for the paper 'cause the article sounded BS-ish.
Is not BS.. not sure if its going to be as miraculous in practice as it looks in a lab.. but it makes sense to have a computer modulate a signal for each cellphone, and that surely will give you more speed...

The cost of updating the cell phone infrastructure will get passed down to us chumps, not out of the spare change the providers have (looking at you Verizon, and AT&T).

So someone who I've never heard of, but who's apparent claim to fame is selling a shitty product for a lot of money, is trying to sell something? Tell me more....

DIDO=MIMO. It's just beamforming using multiple antennas and multiple radios. The same tech that is already in use in WiFi routers. Considering that you will need to completely upgrade all of the equipment, this isn't happening anytime soon. Nice thought though.

I have a cellphone that's 1-step-back from the latest-and-greatest tech offered on my carrier. I max out at 10mbps averaging around 6-8 on a good day and 1-4 on others... I dont see this making much of an impact on the consumer level anytime soon. (Military? Sure. Government? Probably. Corporate? maybe. Personal? Not for many years)

I have a cellphone that's 1-step-back from the latest-and-greatest tech offered on my carrier. I max out at 10mbps averaging around 6-8 on a good day and 1-4 on others... I dont see this making much of an impact on the consumer level anytime soon. (Military? Sure. Government? Probably. Corporate? maybe. Personal? Not for many years)

According to the inventor, the handsets don't need to change. So what if you max out at 10mbs? You know where you don't max out at that? Very busy dense cells, like on a college campus. I work on one. Students are gone, and the lte network gets 20mbs. There are there, maybe as low as 400kbs. They keep on paying us more and more rent for more and more antennas. Why wouldn't they spend on tech like this if it actually works as suggested? And someone like you would benefit by getting 10mbs rather than a few hundred kbs.

Does it really work as suggested? No idea. However, the cellular network isn't homogeneous already, and there'd be financial upside for ten in some areas.

According to the inventor, the handsets don't need to change. So what if you max out at 10mbs? You know where you don't max out at that? Very busy dense cells, like on a college campus. I work on one. Students are gone, and the lte network gets 20mbs. There are there, maybe as low as 400kbs. They keep on paying us more and more rent for more and more antennas. Why wouldn't they spend on tech like this if it actually works as suggested? And someone like you would benefit by getting 10mbs rather than a few hundred kbs.

Does it really work as suggested? No idea. However, the cellular network isn't homogeneous already, and there'd be financial upside for ten in some areas.

Oh I'm not complaning about my speed personally. I started out at 14.4kbps and moved up to around 200-500kbps, after a year or so at 1.5mbps I was back down to maxing out at 700kbps, so 10mbps is a dream, especially since my home internet is still at 3mbps untill the damn phone company can get their scheduling worked out... (been trying to upgrade it for a month...)

Even worse though if it's on the ISP (CSP?) level. We're really crawling behind most companies. Granted some are faster (I know a guy on AT&T who gets 50mbps peak) but most are still maxing around at <20mbps, while countries like Japan have 100mbps+ speeds iirc...

of course on the other paw, as somone else said, 100mbps speed, 300mb cap is very enticing since people will blow through it quickly without even realizing it and will be paying out the ass in overages...

Back