Pandora Sharing Your Info With Political Campaigns

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only does Pandora think it knows how you will vote based on what you listen to, they are sharing that info with political campaigns for targeted advertising. :(

The music streaming service announced last week it is launching targeted advertising—allowing candidates to reach voters based on age, location, and music preference. According to Pandora, that information can tell with 75-80 percent accuracy how a person will vote.

I switched to Spotify during the last presidential election because they where playing 2 political adds for every song it seemed like.

I hope they make some money so I can continue to use their service for free. I would rather listen to a targeted add than lose the Pandora service.

Good luck pegging me Pandora. One day it's some quality metal, the next day 90's rap, next day classical and movie soundtracks, so on and so forth.

75-80% accuracy.......seems like a bold claim.

Good luck pegging me Pandora. One day it's some quality metal, the next day 90's rap, next day classical and movie soundtracks, so on and so forth.

75-80% accuracy.......seems like a bold claim.

Actually that might make it easy. Diversity: Democrat :p

It's a well known fact that democrats like shitty music. The rest is paint by numbers.

Anyone who still likes Bruce Springsteen just needs to keep their mouth shut about it. You shame yourself and everyone around you.

Actually that might make it easy. Diversity: Democrat :p

I listen to a similar mix - movie soundtracks, heavy rock, grunge, Pink Floyd & other classic rock.

Diversity = Democrat. Nope. Republican? Nope. Libertarian is about as close as I can find to a 'party' that fits my views. Still, not a strong one (some of their ideals I don't agree with).

I still wouldn't vote democrat, though, unless there was a strong case for it. In my home state, it's Jeff Merkley. He's earned my vote for his outspoken views on several issues. Some I don't agree with, but the majority of the time he's great. He's about the only democrat that I've voted for in the past 5 years.

Diversity = Democrat, not true at all. My channels are Bluegrass, Death Metal, Classical, Neo Classical, folk, Flamenco, Heavy Metal and Techno. Sometimes I throw in some Jazz. I am a Tea Bagger and I believe our current president is a terrorist.

im cool with it. I love Pandora, lets me listen to good music for free on my phone at work and still way less adds than radio stations. Now if I was paying for their fee based version it would be different, but as long as their service remains free there welcome to whatever info they can garner from my music habits as "free" still has a price and their not a charity.

I listen to a similar mix - movie soundtracks, heavy rock, grunge, Pink Floyd & other classic rock.

Diversity = Democrat. Nope. Republican? Nope. Libertarian is about as close as I can find to a 'party' that fits my views. Still, not a strong one (some of their ideals I don't agree with).

I still wouldn't vote democrat, though, unless there was a strong case for it. In my home state, it's Jeff Merkley. He's earned my vote for his outspoken views on several issues. Some I don't agree with, but the majority of the time he's great. He's about the only democrat that I've voted for in the past 5 years.

Yup, there it is. I honestly don't identify completely with any party, but the Libertarian gist is also as close as I can come to finding a fit. My views are as mixed as my musical tastes to be honest. But I am definitely NOT democrat or republican.

Wonder how it'll affect me... i don't vote. Will i hear ads from both sides?

Back