Google Exploring New Cities For Google Fiber

HardOCP News

[H] News
How come every time we hear about new cities for Google Fiber...my city is never on the damn list!!!!

We've long believed that the Internet’s next chapter will be built on gigabit speeds, so it’s fantastic to see this momentum. And now that we’ve learned a lot from our Google Fiber projects in Kansas City, Austin and Provo, we want to help build more ultra-fast networks. So we’ve invited cities in nine metro areas around the U.S.—34 cities altogether—to work with us to explore what it would take to bring them Google Fiber.

LA will never get anything like this from the private sector if they insist on claiming they are going to do it themselves. I will just be happy with my FIOS.

GO SLC! I wonder if I would be close enough.... hrmmm.. probably not :/

Dunno why they chose Phoenix, Tempe is way more happening, maybe location and growth potential.

Nashville? Surprising. If they want to come to Nashville, they will have to pay Mayor Dean and his cronies a lot of graft.

Atlanta makes more sense - more people.

Besides, it seems like you have to live in the sticks to get it... which is odd.

Not really. They are probably picking locations based on how competitive the market is.

Less competing alternatives, the easier it is to expand, and there tend to be fewer competing options in the sticks...

I for one would be OVERJOYED if they decided to come to Boston, but I fear that will never happen, as the Boston Metro area consist of a number of small cities and towns that have grown together, resulting in a patchwork of regulation, and deals.

That being said, if they really want to start scaring the big ISP's and driving market change, maybe they SHOULD start hitting them where it hurts.

Would love to see them really throw caution to the wind and do an urban area like San Francisco where red tape can chew you up for breakfast. It's pretty easy to run fiber in cities who give you money hand over fist by easing regulations and basically taking over a failed fiber project that already exists.

Dunno why they chose Phoenix, Tempe is way more happening, maybe location and growth potential.

STFU! :D

Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix!

Who cares about Tempe. :p

STFU! :D

Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix!

Who cares about Tempe. :p

RTFA?

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

It says this on their page :
Arizona
- Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe

There are cities included along with the major cities listed.

RTFA?

It says this on their page :
Arizona
- Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe

There are cities included along with the major cities listed.

Read part of the article, but comments still hold, who cares about Tempe, or Scottsdale! Phoenix! Nothing changes. Wonder if there is anything I could do to help speed the process along. ;)

I honestly thing Portland would be a great choice. Portland has long been a model for adopting new ways of doing things which can be later used as an example to convince other large cities to do the same. Their light rail system being a prime example. Not to mention Portland has a fairly large "tech industry" that could take advantage of it.

Atlanta, meh, I just see too much political BS to cut through there to make it worth while at this time. They'll probably end with with Nashville or some other place that's easier to break into.

I'm hoping they expand the areas. I'm in the SLC area and looking at the map, even if they did bring it here it wouldn't encompass half the valley

Besides, it seems like you have to live in the sticks to get it... which is odd.

I am in the sticks and Kansas City is as close to me as it gets it looks like they are afraid of the cold from the looks of the map :p

Maybe the net neutrality/ISPs want money to allow bandwidth-intensive content on their networks debate can be settled by a third-party like Google coming in and mopping the floor with them. Although one has to ask the question, are they going to mine my data that is transferred on their network for targeting ads at me?

No love for Florida? :(

My choices where I live are Comcast, Comcast, and... who the hell was it... oh yes, Comcast!

I'm beginning to suspect that Comcast is throttling video streams from anything but Youtube now, and my online video game traffic. :mad:

I'm sure Comcast would try to sue to keep Google out, though. No sane person would pay $70/month for 30/4 Mbps service from Comcast when you could get 1 Gbps up and down from Google for the same price.

Lol Houston please? All I have is comcast or verizon's craptastic 1.5/.7 $50 dsl.

Columbus, OH is a growing hotbed for tech and tech companies and incubators.

Its the only city in Ohio that would have a chance at something like this.

I don't have any hopes of seeing anything this fast anytime soon.

Truth is, I'd consider moving to a city that gets Google fiber.

I'm a dyed in the wool Boston guy, and never want to leave, but I'd move for Google fiber, as long as they at least provided service somewhere even remotely interesting.

I'm not moving to flyover country, or the south under any circumstances. :p

Columbus, OH is a growing hotbed for tech and tech companies and incubators.

Its the only city in Ohio that would have a chance at something like this.

I don't have any hopes of seeing anything this fast anytime soon.

There is no measure for how sad I was that Cincinnati wasn't on the list. I mean, I knew it wouldn't be, but I had to hope at least a little.

Why not just roll it out in the desert and make a Google City, then all the nerds can move there.

GO SLC! I wonder if I would be close enough.... hrmmm.. probably not :/

I'm betting it's going to be like Provo and they will buy utopia which doesn't reach where I live in salt lake anyways

Maybe the net neutrality/ISPs want money to allow bandwidth-intensive content on their networks debate can be settled by a third-party like Google coming in and mopping the floor with them. Although one has to ask the question, are they going to mine my data that is transferred on their network for targeting ads at me?

They won't mine the traffic in flight, however they do see it as an opportunity to both spread the availability of high speed internet which gives them a wider audience to mine from, and also enabling an increase in the volume of mineable data per head due to the massive bandwidth increase.

Not bad if they can complete all those by 2020. Just hope they spread out to more surrounding suburbs than those listed. If not it would be so close, yet so far away. :(

Las Vegas would have been nice. It's a relatively small geographical region with a dense population. I believe a lot of the city has dark fiber, since the majority of the expansion has taken place in the last 20 years.

Which brings me to another Google observation - they should do a time-machine on the satellite images for Google Maps. That'd be sweet to be able to look through time to see a city grow.

No Seattle love Google? Think of all the spying you could do on MS employee's!

San Antonio would be nice,i mean i live 1 1/2 hrs away but still:)

Nashville? Surprising. If they want to come to Nashville, they will have to pay Mayor Dean and his cronies a lot of graft.
Atlanta makes more sense - more people.

Seriously? I nearly wet myself at this. Besides, just call it the Google Greenway and Dean will be all over it. :p

Atlanta already has a huge (last I checked, it's been a while) tech sector with some big backbones running through it. Probably more decent 'net options too. Also, Atlanta's larger overall population is far more spread-out than Nashville's.

Google could make a clean sweep of Nashville. Everyone hates Cocmast and AT&T offers junk; there is no competition available.

Google could make a clean sweep of Nashville. Everyone hates Cocmast and AT&T offers junk; there is no competition available.

I have 45 Mbps speed through UVerse in Nashville. So I wouldn't call it junk by any means.

San Jose, and Sunnyvale, is not in the sticks, but they are looking to put fiber in the cities.

I was about to say. San Jose is the heart of Silicon Valley. Half of Google employees probably live in San Jose, and another third in the surrounding cities being that Google is headquartered in Mountain View. Of all places, San Jose, and really the majority of the Bay Area, makes the most sense to deploy at.

Back