NSA Settles Lawsuit Over Parody Logos

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone think this guy is going to be reimbursed for all the money he spent on lawyers?

As part of the settlement, the NSA agreed to write another letter to Zazzle acknowledging that Mr. McCall’s images were intended as parody and “should not have been viewed as conveying the impression that the designs were approved, endorsed, or authorized by NSA,” according to the agreement.

Didn't you guys spend a ton of money on lawyers and only get some back from that one company?

Parody for free for the public is one thing, and is certainly fair use. Parody for commercial profit, is quite another, imo. This appears to me as the T-shirt maker offering to drop the suit for an admission from the agencies that his designs were intended as parody--while he himself may have agreed to no longer sell such merchandise.

I would say the guy wisely got out of the situation before he dropped a lot of money on lawyers. It looks like the only things that have happened so far are some letters written back and forth between the two parties. No suits actually filed, no hearings, no court dates, etc.

I like the T-Shirts and think they are really funny! I hope I'm wrong and that the guy is free to resume making and selling the things...;)

I think there are specific laws for printing government logos and seals that you have to take into account in addition to normal copyright.

who says he had to pay anything to lawyers... I am sure he could of gotten probono lawyers to do this job... it was against the NSA & HLS afterall.

Back