Square Enix Releases a Revealing New Final Fantasy XV Trailer

"New" isn't really what this is. I think there were 3-4 seconds of footage what haven't been shown in previous trailers. The real story will be, what is this game going to end up as after so long in development.

While I haven't played the later ones, FF-XII eventually burned me out I couldn't finish that one since I just got bored of it. They've just tried to get more and more "real world" feel while still using swords and magic and shit. I know it's probably sacrilegious to say but FF7 is where it all started, more real world view (although still a bit fantasy so it did well) then FF8 went more real world, FF9 actually reverted back to "fantasy times" FF10 was the future (and some boring as fuck water polo game) the they went MMORPG and I had it with them, eventually trying FF12 but that was it, no more.

I like how practically all Japanese games are horrible now.

But the thing is, the teams what worked on the earlier Final Fantasies have long left Square Enix. Some went on to form their own company such as Mistwalker, which made Last Story on the Wii.

Sure ain't Stick of Truth.

Rob Schneider is a turnip in Final Fantasy Versus XVII@# Lightning is Back to Auto Battle All Night-2

Really looking forward to this..honestly it feels like a throwback to earlier final fantasies in regards to story/musical score. This has me very interested. While I have enjoyed modern Final fantasy, I have been longing for a bit of throwback.

Final Fantasy is dead as a series. Nothing good after FF X. Bring back JRPG and get rid of the 3rd-person live-action aspects. That's not what I want from a FF game, i'll get my 3rd-person live-action fix elsewhere

So it's just going to be an action game now?

From what I read it is action and not turn based, so more like Kingdom Hearts than the last few Final Fantasy games.

Given that this is a branch of the Final Fantasy XIII mytho (this is the game that was originally called Final Fantasy Versus XIII). I wonder if I should play through XIII, XIII-2 and XIII-lightning returns before trying to play this new one even if it isn't a direct sequel.

Final Fantasy is dead as a series. Nothing good after FF X. Bring back JRPG and get rid of the 3rd-person live-action aspects. That's not what I want from a FF game, i'll get my 3rd-person live-action fix elsewhere

i agree but 12 was the last great game. 13 was shit..

i agree but 12 was the last great game. 13 was shit..

Spoken like someone who clearly didn't finish 12 and at best played the first 3 hours of 13.

12 was at best mediocre, and further worsened when you realized the game played itself. The only thing you actually did was find stuff to fight..it did the fighting for you.

13 was a solid game and easily one of the best in the series overall. It wasn't without flaws of course..the story line was extremely linear as far as your exploring went and the combat system never had a chance to shine during the main story. For those of us that actually completed the game and got into the Extra content, that is where the 13 combat system really showcased its excellent systems. Post story was hands down among the best encounters I've seen in the entire series. It is a shame they crippled it with how the story pushed you through the game and the story bosses never presented a reason to explore how good combat could be, but at least it was a far sight better than that atrocity they called X-2 and at least it didn't play the game for you and allow you to Beat it at level 30 like 12. 13-2 and now lightning returns have just managed to Improve on the foundation 13 laid out.

From what I read it is action and not turn based, so more like Kingdom Hearts than the last few Final Fantasy games.

Given that this is a branch of the Final Fantasy XIII mytho (this is the game that was originally called Final Fantasy Versus XIII). I wonder if I should play through XIII, XIII-2 and XIII-lightning returns before trying to play this new one even if it isn't a direct sequel.

Nothing in this trailer implies it has anything to do with FF13 other than the dudes in white cloaks, whether or not its the same universe/mythos, at most I see it as name-dropping the same completely-replaceable-made-up-name for Summons / Evil Entity / Magical Source of Energy / Reason that crystals are important, but with a completely different story around it.

All the names from FF13 though...ugh "Fail-See"....

Spoken like someone who clearly didn't finish 12 and at best played the first 3 hours of 13.

I'm going to defend 12 as well. It played like a singleplayer mmo with a plot smelling of tactics ogre. I wouldn't call it a "good" Final Fantasy game, but it had the standard trappings that they vomit into every game of the series so it at least deserves to be called a Final Fantasy game. I think mediocre is a pretty fair analysis.

The story was terrible in the end with innumerable plot holes and things which made no sense; it smelled like rush development.

To contrast it with 13 though, 12's plot was fucking Shakespeare. The best combat system in the world it may have, I wouldn't know. You see, that is completely irrelevant and wasted when the actual game part of the game is inferior to god dammed Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I liked 12 because it was open world. Sure you didn't pick turn by turn battle decisions, but you could set up such precise battle commands that it was still very fun. 13 was on rails and I quit after 6-7 hours.

I like how practically all Japanese games are horrible now.

It's pretty sad as they made great games. Everything now seems like its based on some odd game play or games like Metal Gear that have a goofy story moments that take away from the game.

I'm going to defend 12 as well. It played like a singleplayer mmo with a plot smelling of tactics ogre. I wouldn't call it a "good" Final Fantasy game, but it had the standard trappings that they vomit into every game of the series so it at least deserves to be called a Final Fantasy game. I think mediocre is a pretty fair analysis.

The story was terrible in the end with innumerable plot holes and things which made no sense; it smelled like rush development.

To contrast it with 13 though, 12's plot was fucking Shakespeare. The best combat system in the world it may have, I wouldn't know. You see, that is completely irrelevant and wasted when the actual game part of the game is inferior to god dammed Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I don't recall Mystic Quest being that bad of a game.

I don't recall Mystic Quest being that bad of a game.

MQ was pretty dumbed down. With a turbo controller you could beat it in under 2 hours just holding down the attack button to blast through 95% of the combat. The story and mechanics weren't terrible or anything, it was just really simplified.

That being said, 13 was still crap. Graphics aside, and even letting the combat system slide, the complete lack of any sense of exploration was terrible with the "story" consisting of a bunch of word salad thrown together making up a script of nonsense, with boss fight mechanics shoehorning you into one specific way to get the job done otherwise you get smacked with a doom timer. Heck, you can't even pick your party for most of the game.

Before some apologist comes along, yeah I completed FF13 hoping it would eventually "get good" or open up into an explorable world since after how long it had been in development there was just no way that the game could only consist of one long hallway. There weren't even any towns...

MQ was pretty dumbed down. With a turbo controller you could beat it in under 2 hours just holding down the attack button to blast through 95% of the combat. The story and mechanics weren't terrible or anything, it was just really simplified.

That being said, 13 was still crap. Graphics aside, and even letting the combat system slide, the complete lack of any sense of exploration was terrible with the "story" consisting of a bunch of word salad thrown together making up a script of nonsense, with boss fight mechanics shoehorning you into one specific way to get the job done otherwise you get smacked with a doom timer. Heck, you can't even pick your party for most of the game.

Before some apologist comes along, yeah I completed FF13 hoping it would eventually "get good" or open up into an explorable world since after how long it had been in development there was just no way that the game could only consist of one long hallway. There weren't even any towns...

Never played it with a turbo controller. Just recall it being one of the RGP games I had back on the Super NES. My experience with 13 was renting the game and getting to the start of the last disc and having to take it back. never did get to finish the game and never played the 2 sequels.

12 is a beautiful and mostly excellent game.

It may not have been to the liking of those that want/expect classic turn based combat. But it is excellent gameplay in it's own right and really makes good use of it. Particularly with the "hunts". I don't even like MMOs, but I really enjoyed FF12, much to my surprise.

The story is a lot more grounded than previous FF games. Less drastic tonality changes (FF8 and FF9 both basically jump shark about 2/3 of the way through) and with much better dialogue. I could go on. Even with its troubled development, FF12 did a lot of major things right.

I actually think FFX is one of the worst games in the series. Probably the worst story. Yet, people absolutely love the hell out of that game.

The XIII series has a lot of pacing issues and the story has some trouble with keeping compelling consistancy. But the gameplay is a sort of action oriented evolution of FF12. It's pretty damn good, in that respect.

Anyway, on the topic of FF15:

The story here seems like it may be of the more grounded type. Focusing on what seems to be warring factions/mobs. Rather than some Anime fantasy that plagued parts of 8, 9, and all of 10.

and if that gameplay action actually requires action from the player, I'm on board! Hopefully it doesn't devolve into contextual button presses and mini QTEs.

Having never played any FF game....I have no idea wtf is going on in that video.

well looks like the final fantasy series has officially jumped the shark

seriously what the fuck is this? final fantasy was always turn based RPG from 1-10, and 12, 11, 14 mmorpgs, 13/2/3 look more like this though I never bothered with 13 because of how un-FF it looked to me

My Japanese isn't fluent but I don't think there is much important language-content in this video. Most of what they're saying is generic dialog like "watch out" and "leave it to me" (it's not a Japanese trailer without that one, or "I will protect you").

Basically, the gist is that the fate of the world is in the balance and for some reason it relies on a crystal or crystals (Japanese doesn't have plurals) and it's pretty damn vague about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Oh well, it doesn't matter, I know I'm going to buy it anyway. Why? I just buy every new mainline Final Fantasy game, and the only one that disappointed me so far is 9 (cliche, cliche, cliche). And I guess 12 was a bit dull.

~sigh~ Gave up on Final Fantasy after I couldn't even get into FF12. Kind of sucks as I have been playing Final Fantasy since the NES days. Shoot, Sega even screwed up the Phantasy Star and Shining Force series. Its probably explains why my PS3 gets more use as a Sega Genesis Emulator.

Can well all agree that FF6 was the best game in the series?

For me its a toss up between FF4 and FF6. Of course, for me these go up to the top of the list next to Skyrim and Fallout 3 as some of my favorite games of all time.

Saw Square Enix in title, expect Sleeping Dogs 2, read the whole title, disappointed.

Back