Google Pulls Themer After Apple Copyright Complaint

HardOCP News

[H] News
I've never seen the theme in question but I do know that anything even remotely resembling an Apple icon will get you sued. Hell, using "i' in front of any word or a rectangle with rounded corners will get you sued. :eek: Hopefully these guys are back on the Google Play store soon.

After hitting 1 million downloads in less than four months a few weeks ago, Themer was suspended from the Play store on the night of February 2nd due to a copyright concern regarding our "Seven" theme (which is just one of over 200 themes available in Themer). Apple Inc. claimed that several icons used in Seven infringed their copyrights.

He's lucky he hasn't been sued for his entire and future personal income and savings.

Shouldn't they pull the theme and not the app itself?

I'm assuming these are user created artwork submissions like most theme apps. Those often do infringe on copyright (copy/paste artists), especially the 'iDevice' type of themes.

Even more surprising is why would anyone in their right mind want to make their Android home screen look like the headache inducing iOS.

Shouldn't they pull the theme and not the app itself?

I'm assuming these are user created artwork submissions like most theme apps. Those often do infringe on copyright (copy/paste artists), especially the 'iDevice' type of themes.

You would think they would just contact the MyColorScreen guys first and end it there but this is Apple. Now the MCS guys said Apple has been nothing but helpful and with the removal of the theme they are fine and dandy but nobody will ever convince me Apple didn't do this shit the way they did on purpose.

Google does need to fix this glaring problem with being slow to respond to issues like this though. Absolutely no excuse for them to be sitting on this when the issue has been resolved.

MCS guys said Apple has been nothing but helpful and with the removal of the theme they are fine and dandy but nobody will ever convince me Apple didn't do this shit the way they did on purpose.

Either they are on drugs or Apple is trying not to create yet another example of them freaking out about people "mimicking" things Apple stole anyway.

Google does need to fix this glaring problem with being slow to respond to issues like this though. Absolutely no excuse for them to be sitting on this when the issue has been resolved.

i don't blame them one bit. Here's a good mental exercise. Name a successful tech company that Apple hasn't sued.

Either they are on drugs or Apple is trying not to create yet another example of them freaking out about people "mimicking" things Apple stole anyway.

I think you miss the point. The theme "Seven" that was the issue looked like they ripped the icons right out of iOS (and they probably did). I can understand why Apple was upset. What doesn't make sense is why Apple didn't just go to the MyColorScreen guys and say hey can you remove that theme please? If MCS didn't pull it then Apple should go to Google and file a DMCA complaint, not before. Instead Apple wanted to be an ass in my opinion and in the long run it only made them look bad.

i don't blame them one bit. Here's a good mental exercise. Name a successful tech company that Apple hasn't sued.

Again I think you miss the point. Google's relationship with developers hasn't been that great and in terms of this issue it's downright pathetic. This issue has been resolved. The process to get Themer back on the Play Store should be far easier than the current process. The MCS guys and Apple are OK now that the theme has been pulled. For it to take weeks to get Themer back on the Play Store is inexcusable.

Oh and a successful tech company that Apple has never sued? Google themselves have never been sued by Apple during the current patent trolling Apple is doing. Apple has been going after the OEM's who use Android and not Google themselves.

Back