Flappy Bird Faces Imminent Extinction

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
So long Flappy Bird, we hardly got to know you. It seems that the developer of Flappy Bird has had an epiphany of sorts and has decided to take his wildly successful game entirely off the Internet.

The suddenness of the move prompted some to wonder if this is actually some strange publicity stunt.

He was supposedly making $50,000 a day in ad revenue and is only doing this to hype up his next game by stirring up demand.

50 million downloads? Am I to assume at a cost of 99 cents each? Or was this a free game?

Either way, WTF $50k a day from ads, is $50k a day from ads, can't handle it all? Fucking hire someone to handle it, pay them 2 days worth of ad revenue and keep the other 363 days worth!

50 million downloads? Am I to assume at a cost of 99 cents each? Or was this a free game?

Either way, WTF $50k a day from ads, is $50k a day from ads, can't handle it all? Fucking hire someone to handle it, pay them 2 days worth of ad revenue and keep the other 363 days worth!

It's a free game. He is taking it off of the store because he is getting death threats and hate mail because people are jealous he is making $50k a day.

Oh, and he is Vietnamese and lives in Vietnam, so a couple days of ad revenue will last him years there.

Wait.. if he pulls his app from the Play Store, does that mean all the devices that currently have the game installed will stop generating revenue?

He was supposedly making $50,000 a day in ad revenue and is only doing this to hype up his next game by stirring up demand.

His next game? He isn't exactly a John Carmack. The game wasn't very good and was successful purely out of blind luck.

Probably taking it down to prevent being sued by Nintendo, he is using Mario sprites after all.

Wait.. if he pulls his app from the Play Store, does that mean all the devices that currently have the game installed will stop generating revenue?

No. He'll continue making that money. Just no new users.

It's a free game. He is taking it off of the store because he is getting death threats and hate mail because people are jealous he is making $50k a day.

Oh, and he is Vietnamese and lives in Vietnam, so a couple days of ad revenue will last him years there.

That just shows how stupid people in general are... ignore the morons and carry on. With $50k a day you can go move somewhere anonymously with a lawyer making a trust for you :p. Who cares if fools are jealous of success and feel bad because they aren't already there, instead of being motivated to try harder?

While everyone suspects ulterior motives, dont forget the "lottery curse". When you suddenly come into a lot of money, everyone comes out of the woodwork asking for some. Family members you never spoke to, neighbors, coworkers, acquaintances, etc. Everyone suddenly becomes your buddy, and tries to guilt you into giving the money. In a country like Vietnam, 50k/day is probably like 500k/day in the US. Probably had a line of people at his door wanting a handout. Many people become miserable after winning the lottery. Telling everyone "go away" and suddenly you're now hated for being rich.

I'm calling publicity stunt.

He's reportedly making $50,000 a day in ad revenue. Make the game scarce so many many more people get it while they can and he can probably get that $75,000 or even $100,000.

And then change his mind again and not take it off.

That just shows how stupid people in general are... ignore the morons and carry on. With $50k a day you can go move somewhere anonymously with a lawyer making a trust for you :p. Who cares if fools are jealous of success and feel bad because they aren't already there, instead of being motivated to try harder?

No, he's being smart.
He still gets ad rev, (just no new downloads) and sells other games. He can also shut away ppl asking for money by simply saying "but I just killed my 5mil bucks of income' which isn't really true.

I'm calling publicity stunt.

He's reportedly making $50,000 a day in ad revenue. Make the game scarce so many many more people get it while they can and he can probably get that $75,000 or even $100,000.

And then change his mind again and not take it off.

Publicity stunt? He's a vietnamese guy living in Vietnam. They aren't exactly known for their flair. With $50K/day comes hugely jealous people. In the short time he was making money off the game he earned enough to retire in his simple, poor little country.

it looks like there is no shortage of replacements, at least for iphone.

Back