NYPD Is Beta-Testing Google Glass

HardOCP News

[H] News
You will get pulled over for wearing Google Glass while driving...unless you are an NYPD cop, then it's okay. ;)

The New York City Police Department’s massive and controversial intelligence and analytics unit is evaluating whether Google Glass is a decent fit for investigating terrorists and helping cops lock up bad guys, VentureBeat has learned. The department recently received several pairs of the modernist-looking specs to test out.

Police should all wear cameras, in the UK all firearms officers are going to start wearing video cameras.

imagine face recognition app enabled in the glass and all the abuse that can happen lol

I feel that it is highly unlikely that in the vast amount of cases, this will have a positive effect for the citizenry. Take a look at articles like this - http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-militarized-america-iowa-family-terrorized/ - , not to mention the even more egregious examples of police abusing their authority with impunity, and tell me that you feel safer giving them technology that can provide yet another justification for thuggish behavior towards the citizenry.

Its bad enough now without the "Google Glass For Law Enforcement" (you know, which certainly won't record ALL the time ) flagging someone as potential threat based on some secret database somewhere, or worse some mollifying use of metrics for "nervousness" (facial expression, that must mean someone "has someone to hide" or "is implying threatening behavior", and depending on extensions of the technology facial flushing, body temperature, eye movements and many other features could be detected.).

Sorry, until we completely revamp policing in America from top to bottom, simply giving them more "toys" will have a dramatic, negative effect to the citizenry.

The American government, the definition of hypocrisy.

Freedom is a joke, privacy is a joke, civil rights are a joke.

Our Republic is a majestic oak, that when you walk around the back side you see the gaping, rotting interior, of a dying tree.

Politicians are gnashing at the bit to have everyone (aside from themselves) wearing a camera 24/7 to 'ensure domestic tranquility' by making sure to police the way people think aligns with the way they want people to think. Don't dare dissent against their mandates lest you be targeted for dissonance against the state. The Stasi, KGB, SA/SS, KMT blue shirts and every other colored shirt organization's wildest dreams of mass control were nothing compared to the reality that is coming to fruition. Indecency and hate speech laws are merely the first step towards that goal and are innocuous enough because people hate to be ridiculed and find the idea of being able to oust their neighbor for such grave offenses as 'disagreement' or 'indignation' makes them happy; it gives them an advantage to ensure arguments always go their way so long as their neighbor doesn't pull the same card first.

I hope the police remember to turn this off before they beat someone to death. Oh wait that's right, they can do that on tape and get away with it anyways.

But beware the citizen wearing GG while the PD is in the scene. They'll have to confiscate yours to prevent you from filming them while they violate your rights. After all, they can only edit video that's in their possession.

I do live in NY, but I'm glad I don't live in the cesspool that is NYC. What sucks is that NYC is a spec on the map of NY, but we get penalized as if it were the other way round. They have their own rules and laws, so they should just be their own state...oh wait, they need to squander OUR tax dollars since they've ran out of their own long ago. NY would be a much better place to live w/o NYC. Secede (North) NY!

Now let me tell you what I really think...:p

mynamehere said:
But beware the citizen wearing GG while the PD is in the scene. They'll have to confiscate yours to prevent you from filming them while they violate your rights. After all, they can only edit video that's in their possession.

I do live in NY, but I'm glad I don't live in the cesspool that is NYC. What sucks is that NYC is a spec on the map of NY, but we get penalized as if it were the other way round. They have their own rules and laws, so they should just be their own state...oh wait, they need to squander OUR tax dollars since they've ran out of their own long ago. NY would be a much better place to live w/o NYC. Secede (North) NY!

Now let me tell you what I really think...
Are you stupid or trolling? There is nothing beyond Westchester County. All the money comes from the City. Do not even get me started on Albany - the pinnacle of governmental incompetence.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Police should all wear cameras, in the UK all firearms officers are going to start wearing video cameras.
But google glass is not a camera, at least not an economical one. And I have a feeling that the goal is not to have the video available to the public to police the police, but rather to have the cameras implement facial recognition systems and the like to give all kinds of info to the super-cop.

You may have a right not to show your ID without probable cause, but you won't have to anymore as he'll know from just looking at you. ;)

I also don't understand body cameras, they shake all over the place, they can't be comfortable, and they are covered up when the cop draws his weapon. Why not just clip a Mobius camera set on loop for $65 shipped on ebay to a cop cap?

The head is naturally stabilized, its always looking where the officers eyes are looking, and its not in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2MkwpvGYg

Back