Need recommendation for 27 inch monitor mainly for games and movies

DeSelby

n00b
Hello,

I've been using my Dell 2407 (A04) for almost six years and finally decided to get a new monitor. I've decided to go for a 27 inch monitor and after reading up on different models, I realized I'll need some help deciding.

I'll be using the monitor mainly for games, movies, web browsing and from time to time non professional use of Maya and Zbrush.

Here are a few monitors I've considered:
Asus PB278Q
Asus PA279Q
Samsung S27B971D (though the price doesn't seem to justify it)
Dell UltraSharp U2713H

Regarding ghosting and lag. I've never been able to know when people exaggerate about these things. If it's like my current monitor, then I don't mind since I've never noticed it. Though I assume that at this time it should be even less noticeable.

Thanks.

The PA279Q & U2713H both suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting issues and you don't need a wide gamut monitor which makes both of these a waste of money for your uses, especially since they glow (Google IPS glow) more vs. standard gamut, LED back-lit models. The 971D has gray blacks and is extremely reflective since it uses glass and is basically a 1000$ joke, just like the Apple Cinema Display if you don't want blacks to look gray.

You want the Eizo EV2736W (review links) which is glow free and has much better black levels than 99% of AHVA/IPS/PLS panels except for high end IPS panels with A-TW polarizers like the Eizo CX246 which costs 1500$.

The PB278Q is not glow free, uses LED PWM Dimming (PWM side effects) and ghosts more than the similarly priced BenQ BL2710PT (My Review) which does not use LED PWM Dimming and is faster.

Last edited:
I've read good things about the Samsung S27C750P, especially that it has immensely deep black levels. In my opinion this is one of the most important factors when it comes to movies watching. Also I love how it swivels.

Thanks for the replies.

NCX, the Eizo does seem to have it all. As far as I know they're mostly oriented toward professional use, no? The monitor will be used almost exclusively for games and movies.

How does it compare to the benq BL2710PT and Viewsonic VP2770 and VP2772? They seem to have a high ms. how does their ms compare to my Dell 2407a04?

Regarding the ROG Swift from Asus. I'm willing to spend quite a lot here, so I would prefer to stay away from TN panels.

Would you recommend to stay with 24 inch monitor but invest in a very good one? the thing is, I wouldn't want to go from a 16:10 24 inch to 16:9 24 inch, and it seems that that will the case. Dell for example has the new 24 inch (UP2414Q) only in 16:9.

Thanks again for the help.

The 2407 uses a VA panel so it will have less glow and better blacks than all but the EV2736W, no need to worry about the good 1440p monitors ms since the Dell uses a slow VA panel. The VP2772 is not glow free and the brightness is locked at 100% when using the sRGB mode, plus it glows more since it is wide gamut. The Eizo is basically the same as the VP2770 & BL2710PT but is glow free and has slightly better color presets than the BenQ.

The Eizo CX246 is the only glow free 24" comparable to the EV2736W.

Last edited:
Much appreciated NCX. Eizo's monitors are quite expensive here, but it seems like the EV2736W is worth it.

Thanks again!

Pardon me for the aside,

but where do you buy Eizo monitors from in the US? I'm willing to try out the EV2736W since my only issue with IPS is the glow.

Amazon & B & H Photo both offer 30 day no hassle return policies and sell the EV2736W. Currently B & H is cheaper.

Just one more thing, In case I'll decide to drop to 24 inch. What is the best 24 inch for gaming and watching movies, in the same price range as the monitors mentioned earlier?

Hi all,

So the EV2736W will be at my place tomorrow. I just wanted to know if I should do something regarding calibration etc, before starting to use it? though I read it has great calibration settings out of the box.

Thanks.

Hi... I'm in the same boat (with the addition that I'll be doing some personal photo editing, but no need for high gamut) and am also trying out the EV2736W, thanks in particular to NCX's hugely informative advice here. I hope nobody minds the bump.

I've been away from the monitor market for several years, so with that being said, I'm wondering if my screen uniformity would be considered normal:

Personally, I expected a bit better for US $825 -- that spot of backlight bleed on the left is hard to unsee, especially when I'm doing fullscreen editing in Aperture. (The bleed along the top isn't nearly as noticeable.) The fact that the rest of the screen is so consistent makes any aberration stick out even more.

But for all I know, maybe this one is actually a keeper compared to the usual. Any thoughts? I'm guessing I'll end up contacting B&H to see about the feasibility of an exchange.

Prior to this one, I was set on the VP2770 ($150 cheaper than the Eizo at the time), but my first of those was a dud -- two bright spots oriented along a vertical line about 2" from the right edge. I do have an RMA replacement pending, so I'll at least see how that compares. Aside from the glaring hot spots, the VP2770 seemed uniform enough for my purposes.

Overall, I think I'm 0 for 2 in the lottery so far. :(

If I get a chance, I'll run a calibration on the EV2736W (before exchanging it, assuming I can exchange it) just to see how its factory settings measure up. It looks alright though, side by side with my calibrated Macbook screen.

I went through 3 VP2770s before returning all them. They all had significantly more bleed that the pic you have there. Though I agree with you -- for $800, I would expect zero bleed. And maybe that's why I don't have a new monitor now...

Back